Ski rope safety handle

maxpower220

I know that some people in the past posted up about handles or nets for handles to prevent injuries. I did a search here, on Overtons, Perfski and can't find any info.

Can someone post a link to where I could purchase a safety net or safety handle for skiing? Thanks.

• Baller

@skialex yours is a less expensive, functional, minimalistic version.

I like it but many of us don’t have the talent to do that but we know our way around a zap strap or duct tape if needed.

Here’s mine. Just coming out of 1 ball.

Isolation crazy setting in.

g8h29lc0lajd.jpeg

• Baller
It doesn't have to be mesh. It just has to be tough. I've cut pieces from a flexible plastic tub (or lid) that worked just fine. Round or sand the edges though so they won't cut you or things. It's best if there is plastic tubing on the V ropes of the handle to prevent wear from the grommets or zip ties.

• Baller
I tend to get up with the arms very stretched forward and I hate the feeling of the zip ties banging on the edge of my ski. At least if you are using a carbon handle (tubed rope) you can open small holes on the tube and pass the zip ties between the tube and the rope. I have done that.. works much better than over the tube. Not very easy but doable without hurting the rope.

• Baller

I made my own 5-6 years ago...very easy and lots of threads here.

Only thing i could had is to cut your zip ties with a nail clipper.Ends will be round and blunt and NOT razor blades waiting to cut someone open.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@dbutcher - I don't know if I agree with you. A handle that bounces around in a fall is very unpredictable. I think I would prefer to have "softness" all around as much as possible, with no zip ties or hard plastic that could cause cuts and bruises. @eleeski's shoe laces instead of zip ties seems a good idea to me.

We require handle guards at our tournaments. I’ve seen several home made guards that work. But I have to say I see a bunch of guards made with duct tape and have a lot of advantages. 1. Inexpensive 2. Light weight. 3. Don’t hold water. 4. Very customizable. How large of an opening. Color. 6. Strong and easy to repair.

I got the new rope, handle, and guard. My wife is happy, my son likes it (even though he doesn't understand what it is really for), and it does not interfere in my skiing. I did notice that the handle will "fly" a little now when I release it.

Thanks for the input.

• Baller

Reinstalling mine .

First holes pattern was measured and clean. Just added more holes quickly just now.

Maybe George's death will save my life...p1fd20zjb0ls.jpg

• Baller

I know i'm repeating myself but use the nail clipper to cut ty wraps never wire cutter as they becomes VERY VERY sharp and will slice open a forearm like butter,

Also while sitting in between passes,i make sure they are pointing inward and turn them if not.

• Baller
You can use a razor blade to cut the zip tie tail as well...wish I had a dollar for every time I sliced my hand, finger or wrists working on aircraft engines because mechanics were too lazy to trim the zip ties.