Nautique Engine

mtnskiskate

• Baller_
@mtnskiskate what is your context? looking at an cat vs non-cat boat? The cat engines have been our for 8-10 years (?) and I haven't heard of any issues related to the converter. While I would prefer not to have one, they are largely transparent and required for emissions and to save the planet. You won't be able to buy a newer boat without the cat.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Hopefully you have answered my question. I am all for saving the planet and keeping my lake clean. I have searched for any info (positive or negative) on the cat engines and just haven't found anything. Thought maybe the guys with the 200s would chime in and say after x amount of hrs, no problems. Certainly wasn't trying to belittle technology, just looking for input.

• Baller_

Have a lot of hours on the old red 196.

It's a 6.0. It has had its manifolds changed way back in 2010 only because it was a factory boat and PCM wanted to update to the units that facilitate the vent plugs and updated cooling..

• Baller

I know the earlier cat models had some cooling issues and over heated and cracked the manifolds

I would look into the updated cooling like @Jody_Seal mentioned

When I bought my 2011 I looked for a pre cat model for that reason

• Baller_
our cat engine (2015 CP0 had the first generation cat manifolds that cracked and leaked coolant internally at about 900 hours. The moisture caused a misfire and check engine light, and O2 sensor codes. Fresh manifolds were about $800 each and fixed the problem (they are a re-designed casting and hopefully won't crack again) IT's a great tow boat.

• Baller
I have one cat manifold currently leaking in the recess where the oxygen sensor goes. The other is a slightly different manifold which I believe was replaced at some point. Guessing that it's a re-designed one @RichardDoane speaks of as the way it's made doesn't allow for any leaking. Appears to be moulded in there rather than having a plate affixed in the back somehow. Pretty pissed off actually given the cost of a new one.

• Baller
Discovered a leak once. Traced to a small crack about 3/8 in. visible at one of the freeze plugs. Put some MarineTex on it. Let it dry, sanded and painted it. Ran it over a 1,000 hours and never had another drip.

• Baller

@Gar yes I actually have put JB weld in there - twice. I put the first bit in very thoroughly I thought but it still leaked a little. Then I used an engraver to sand/grind it back and put some more JB in and it still leaks just the tiniest bit. It's a very fine spray. That recess in there is very difficult to get to.

knn0bowm4mad.png