Ski Recommendation?

fsts2k

• Baller

I have been riding a Radar Theory for the past 5 or so years. Was a huge upgrade from the old Connolly ski. I picked up a used Nautique 196 for this year and am thinking about upgrading my ski; considering the Radar Graphite Senate. I am mostly Free Ski but hope to try the course this year. I am between 5'11" and 6' and weigh about 185 although the weight can go up a bit here and there. Here are some not so great videos from 2018 to give you a sense of skill... I hope to get some lessons as soon as social distancing starts to diminish.

Thinking ski size of 67 with dual Boa Vector Boots.

Thoughts?

• Baller
Coaching should be your first priority. That isn't a dig on your skiing, it's the right thing for anyone starting on the course. You will get more for your money spending it on a coach. I wasted my first year trying the course without getting proper coaching. A buddy who can make 6 isn't a coach either, unless he/she runs a ski school that is.

• Baller
Honestly a 67 Graphite Senate would be a great ski to “grow” into. Especially doing a lot of open water. I’ve put a few people on one and they all love it and progressing. My opinion only but definitely get coaching. If the opportunity to demo a few skis presents itself then go for it, but the Senate would not disappoint. Again just my opinion. Best of luck

• Baller

Theory is no slouch as a learner ski for slowing the boat down.

A Senate would be a great ski for progressing, but as you're going to be slowing the boat down to learn the course for a while, don't discount what you've already got.

• Baller
Looked to me like your driver is following the shoreline in a constant state of turn. This makes it almost impossible to get into a rhythm. I would try to find a calm spot away from other boats and rollers. Have your driver pick a spot and drive straight at it. If it's not as long as you want either spin and come back on the exact same boat path or drop and turn around.

• Baller

We do quite a bit of free skiing during the summer as well when we visit the folks. As m_pags mentioned you're fighting a battle with your driver. Its very helpful to know the lake you are on and have the driver "set up" stretches of water for you to run. Having a plan for where the straight stretches that are good for skiing are and then as a skier making sure you are ready for those stretches and not for instance skiing late in the stretch of water and forcing your driver to wait for you to stop before they can set up the next part.

Doesn't look like you have clockwise/anticlockwise restrictions which makes spinning or dropping a good method.

Since you just got a boat - I would hold off on the ski for the first few weeks of using the new boat - try to get lessons if you can. Nothing wrong with the ski you are mentioning but I'd use a new ski with your old boots awhile. And frankly moving away from a rear boot has been awesome even for just the ease of getting into/out of the water, or we do a lot from the dock in < 3 feet of water and being able to jump off onto the ski and hop out is way easier than doing the ski scorpion belly crawl.

• Baller

Thanks for the comments, this is Lake Geneva not Lake George.

Yes, the driver has a tendency to put in a turn, I continue to try to fix that ;)

The new old boat is about done so I hope to drop it in the water soon and get a pull. I am going to hold on a new ski until I get a few pulls in.

• Baller

Thanks! That looks like a great place to ski and learn. Unfortunately I should have been more precise, I am at Lake Geneva Wisconsin so it is a bit of a ways away.

Any recommendations for Southern Wisconsin coaches are welcomed.

Kevin

• Baller

If you just bought a 196, you’re on your way to this addiction!

1. Check out Where2waterski.com. At least 5 places on that site within driving distance.

2. My favorite three pro shops not in any order: Performance in Orlando, call Mike or Bill, Steve Chez @ Pacific Slalom or Jeromy at Marine Products in SLC. Alec at Swiss in Clermont, FL is also very good. Especially if you speak French or Spanish.

3. Once you’re free from rollers, drive straight, slow the boat down, generate your own speed to centerline.

Have fun!

• Baller
@fsts2k I’m over in Twin Lakes. Have a portable course available. We ski Lily. Slow the boat down. Always looking for ski partners. Have my new to me Malibu Eshelon, and my trusty Brendella. More than welcome to try my Senate Alloy. Would highly recommend Train with Terry Winter for tips and technique. Much more important than a new ski right now.

• Baller_

Give me a shout if you make it down to Fl for some coaching @fsts2k, we are open 7 days a week. Due to Covid we are only doing online and phone right now, but typically we have our demo program which would help to try some skis as well. But lots of coaches here to get you set up. let me know if you need anything/questions Myself and Bill are at the shop pretty much everyday. Or you can reach me here to if you need something.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Thanks all, am excited to advance my skiing. Jetsetr, will shoot you a PM to link up. Would be great to have a local ski friend.

Re: Geneva being calm.. if you can hit the water from 6:45AM - about 9:30 you can usually find a shoreline that is calm. 2-4 times a year I find during the week you can run straight down the middle, but it is not often. Not an ideal ski lake but it offers a lot of other benefits for the family. The 196 should be more mobile so I may take it to a few different lakes to ski this summer.

• Baller
@ALPJr Just following up, I reached out to Tom earlier in the week, and it turns out that he has closed the ski school. I was really hoping to get some pointers and interaction with someone who knows what they are doing.