Radar Butterknife

Jetsetr

• Baller

wkgl7zekrr25.jpeg

up9piwh6ft80.jpeg

Just wondering:

Pretty much all the pics/video of me skiing my BK as well as the video of the BK on the Radar site show this ski riding tail low...

Standard boot in front with a standard RTP.

Boot is in the center of the 5 adjusting holes, same for the RTP.

Rear fin is also in the center of the 3 hole fore/aft adjustment area.

This is being skied at 26/30mph tops.

69” ski 190 pounds

What impact would moving the boots forward a bit? One hole looks to be about 1/4 inch.

Moving the fin forward?

I DONT understand the effects of boot/fin placement, but thinking 1 forward for the boot wouldn’t have a huge impact other than maybe getting weight a bit further forward, thus more engagement.

HOWEVER, I could be TOTALLY wrong...

NO CLUE what fin fore/aft does...

Looking to be educated...thanks in advance...

Fire away...

• Baller

Don't be too critical both the butterknife and the katana are part of the "bent vee" series -the side profile of the tail turns in around the rear binding then there is a large platform that you stand on. Because of this the ski essentially gives you a platform to stand on then turns like it should. And because of that you are less able to change the attitude of the ski in the water and I really don't think you should try go factory and ride it if you out grow the ski to the point where you need to move the bindings then you'll be ready for a different ski.

You don't look bad try to get that handle down and I think you'll get far.

• Baller

@BraceMaker I was pretty tired by the time the pics were taken ( skied pretty hard for about a mile and a half in rough water and rollers) but I DO need to work on getting the handle lower and standing a bit ( a lot) taller.

I have a 69” Senate with a double boot set up also. These pics were unfortunately the first time out free skiing this year, so I’m not in ski shape yet. The BK is so forgiving and easy to ski that I like to work on form with this ski. It is waaay different than the Senate. Still breaking in the new engine in the boat and I just wanted to ski a bit.

Radar folks are helping out with the Senate, might remove the rear Vector boot and try the HRTP. My heel moves around too much with the standard RTP and my front leg carries most of my weight. Maybe I should just ski the Senate all the time a touch faster and see how that looks/feels.

@Rednucleus have nothing to lose by moving fwd one hole on the BK will try that and see what happens.

So what are the thoughts on fin fore/aft adjustments? What does moving the fin forward or aft DO?

• Baller

@Ski_Dad I have had this ski for 3 years now...it’s not new, and it’s always been tail low.

@BraceMaker I’m not saying I am going to move it, I’m more interested in WHAT moving the fin forward or aft REALLY DOES...

There is a reason they make everything adjustable, I would like to know that those adjustments ACTUALLY DO.....numbers and setting are just numbers and settings if you don’t know what they actually mean/do.

• Baller

@Jetsetr katana fin is a drop through, not a fully adjustable fin. You can only move it back or forth one hole. So you can only change the leading edge and dft and at the same time. So in theory, moving forward... you increase LE brings tip down and increase dft makes the ski feel shorter more aggressive, the opposite if going back one hole. But I bet this is not a fin sensitive ski and not made for fin adjustments, also normally a hole change in any direction is a huge change if you measure it with a caliper.

You can also decrease length and or depth by adding washers (not the opposite).

If you really want to be in to it, buy an adjustable fin and clamp from Radar, a good 8” caliper and FinWishpering book but also find an experienced fellow skier to help you with it.

Good thing, if you are lost you can always go back to your drop through fin and go back to stock.

I would try going one hole forward from where you are now (boots). Easy try!