My daughter is LFF what do I do?

Horton

• Administrators

Ok seriously Buford is almost ready for one ski and she mostly kicks me with her Left foot. The old rule is dominate foot forward. Starting out does this really matter? Is anyone really sure it would be bad for me to "make" her RFF?

• Baller
I wish I had my dominant foot forward, but don't think I want to try to change at this point (not that I'm that far down the line, but I would probably lose a couple months of what will hopefully be progress....but would I progress more long term if I had my dominant foot forward....?)

• Baller

Maybe hard data has the answer, but i believe, balance and "dominant" foot do not necessarily go together. (if all 41 off skiers ski dominant foot forward, then I stand corrected).

I ski LFF but no ambiguity about my "dominant" foot...played pretty high level soccer for many years, so I "know" my dominant foot (right). My left footed son skis LFF, and my right footed son skis RFF. They "chose" their stance at early ages (5ish), while I started at 40.

But we are not 41 off skiers by a looong stretch of rope...

• Baller

@liquid d Thats how I rode a skateboard. And, I know I'm weird.

Right foot on the back of the board, pushed with my left, then rode left forward) I know I'm right foot dominant, which is probably why I pushed with the right foot balancing on the board, just goofy in how I stood.

• Baller
@Horton She mostly kicks with her left foot and every time you try the push test, she catches herself with her left foot. Seems pretty clear that she should be a LFF skier. It sounds like you are in denial on this. Why do you want her to be a RFF skier so badly?

• Baller

Be happy and support her. Being left foot should mean you have three good turns: 1,3,5 RFF only have two; 2 &4 a good turn at 6 does help much. Unless you are like I am, RFF and 1,3,5 are my better turns my 2 &4 are poor. I think that is because I get more practice (3 turns vice 2) and #1 is particularly important.

Old school, get behind you subject, ask them to stand with their feet shoulder width apart, bend their knees and then when they don't expected it, give them a good shove in back, forward. Which ever foot they put forward so they don't fall is their dominate foot and I have them use as their front foot, or tell them to drop the ski on the other when learning to ski on one ski. Try it, you would be surprised how effective it is.

• Baller_

Hand / foot dominance is a very individual thing and forcing the opposite will at best be very difficult and at worst be an absolute disaster. There are a very small percentage of people who are effectively ambidextrous, either naturally or with a lot of practice, but the vast majority of people have very definite natural hand/foot strengths. Babies start showing hand dominance well before they are a year old.

I had a college kid skiing with us (32/-15ish and basic tricks) who looked really awkward and offbalance in slalom and really struggling with tricks. Trying a simple back almost always resulted in catching the tail and nasty backsplat. Slalom wasn’t much better with stiff legs, tail riding and OTFs. After watching for a dozen sets, I started thinking he needed to switch his feet. Without telling him my suspicion, we went back to the dock and I told him to do a 1 leg squat. With the leg he had forward, the squat was very shaky and off balance. Repeat with same result. Ok, try the other leg (the one that was back) – way smoother and controlled. Next I walked behind him and gave him a quick shove and sure enough he stepped forward with the back leg. So the switch was on! Within a few sets, he was noticeably more comfortable and balanced on both slalom and trick skis. In a month or so, he was back where he was performance wise, but much more stable, consistent and without the nasty falls.

So, use all the tricks mentioned and have Buford do the skier salute with both legs and see what works better. If she’s a lefty roll with it. I still believe LFF is an advantage for slalom.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Supporting Member
I am right handed, right foot dominant. My dad was LFF. He taught me LFF slalom as perhaps that is what made the most sense to him. To even screw with me more - I was taught to trick (and still do) RFF by another coach. And switching them up now feels so bizarre to me. So, I think you can work with whatever.

• Baller
Andy Mapple was right foot forward. Cory Pickos is left foot forward. Much to do about nothing. Go with the one that feels more natural. I am left foot forward, and my brother is right foot forward. Stand up and tie your shoes while standing on one leg. Which ever one you have better balance should be forward.

• Baller

Besides the likely benefit of getting more buoys from being LFF, there is also a nice benefit if she plays soccer left footed. Most soccer players are right footed so when they defend a left footed player they automatically assume their opponent is right footed. This makes it easy for the left footed soccer player to fake right, go left and then shoot hard with the left foot. In kids soccer, it takes a while for the defender kids to really get in their minds how to defend a left footed attacker.

And if your daughter plays defense, coaches will love to have her play left back because she can shield the ball with the right side of her body while being able to make an accurate down the line pass with her dominant foot. Only a few kids on any team will have that left foot advantage in defense.

Of course, all good soccer players should learn to play well with both feet. But even so, there is always an advantage on accuracy and power when kicking with your dominant foot. Being left footed is a nice gift to have in the soccer world.

• Baller

I’ve always wondered if there is real advantage to either. RFF has a natural onside gate turn in, which seems like a huge head start. LFF has 3 onside turns in the course. Parrish makes it look like LFF is not a bad thing, but it feels like you see a lot more RFF skiers in the top ranks.

The only test I’ve seen deliver consistent accurate results is putting your kid on a scooter and seeing which foot is on the scooter (front) and which they push with (back)

• Baller_

If I had seen this post last year, I would have said that in my opinion if you kick with your right foot you should ski left foot forward. Your natural balance is on the non-kicking foot. My test for a beginner is to have them strand with their feet together and give them a slight shove backwards in the solar plexus. Whichever foot they put backwards to catch their balance is the front foot on the ski. Again, that’s the foot with the natural balance, and usually it’s the non-kicking foot.

In snowboarding and skateboarding, you are “goofy foot” if you ride right foot forward.

Lpskier

• Baller
@Horton why the bump? Are you still having doubts about which foot forward your daughter should have or is it something else? Reading this whole thread now, I thought you were at peace with LFF.

• Baller

Hmm, I never thought about this that much. I kick with my right but am left foot forward. That's for all board sports, biking, skiing, etc. My right foot is my "planted" foot, left foot is in control. My kids are all left foot forward as well, one of them is left handed.

Now here's another question - how do you guys hold the handle? I'm left foot forward and my natural inclination is left hand up, right hand down. That feels more natural when cutting left but less natural when cutting right.