The 2021 MasterCraft ProStar

Horton

@Ali I'm the girlfriend. Usually I ski at 22-off at 28-something mph at the 12 unicorn setting through our mini-course :) I just started skiing two-ish years ago at age 58 so I don't know how to compare these things. But we ski with Nautique 196 and 200s. I crashed a month ago and hadn't skied in a month so I was being cautious, but I really liked skiing behind the MasterCraft ProStar 2021. Possibly because @FWinter so graciously complimented my driving, but also, the pull was very smooth.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I really liked the feel of the 5.7L up at Radar Lake, though that could have been mostly because of @brooks excellent driving. That said, 6.2L has to be a hoot in any DD ski boat, and with a tasty weight reduction vs the 6.0L.

• Baller
Unless Ilmor is using a different base block than the others, the 6.2L is GDI. I'm a bit surprised they still offer the 6.0L and haven't replaced it with a 5.3L. Different marinizers but the Malibu 5.3 blows the gunnels off the PCM 6.0 that's been used in the past few years out of the hole and getting up to speed.

• Baller

@UWSkier Probably pricing, 6.0 MPI old tech, 5.3 and 6.2 GDI new tech or should I say current tech and more pricey.

I think it's awesome they offer the 6.0 as a entry level engine, plenty of power way better than a 5.7.

• Baller

I look forward to skiing and driving soon. This boat is a winner in all regards. I have a feeling NH will be receiving at least 2 of these within the foreseeable future. @Ali ;)

I have a feeling I will be negotiating a multi-boat deal...for a friend.

• Baller

@Dacon62 the rudder is adjustable with an allen wrench so it's super customizable. We messed around with how much torque we wanted. For me I'm going to have it easier for a day in the boat at ski school and more torque for when I drive the short line guys that come out here.

v9w73st4oa6t.jpeg

y30qtpvys7fb.jpeg

• Baller

Thanks @FWinter. So you just use an Allen wrench to turn the tab in/out? Does it stay in the same position even after days of use?

Those little screws have a habit of working themselves back or out with constant pressure like would be experienced there. Is the threading fine or is there something that locks it in place. Just trying to understand...thanks for your patience.

PS love my 17 PS but this is like mine with a nip/tuck here and some Dow Corning there.

• Baller_
I wonder if a future adjustable rudder could incorporate a miniature hydraulic jackscrew combination to adjust the rudder torque realtime from the helm. Like the functions in the control of airplane flaps, the jackscrew would perform the function of the allen screws, but automatically while the boat is in the water. Then, the drivers could pick their own tailored rudder setting, just like a skier pull setting.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

The bomb...they have outdone themselves. Great work...in my mind would make buying new a no-brainer. @FWinter why not flush screws on that rudder trim tab? Woudl be a little more elegant.

I would have to drive/ski one, but from being in the prior model with the 6.2 there were only a few little irritants and all are fixed...right down to the battery switch location.

So cool...what's that Bare Naked Ladies song? "If I had a million dollars"? (and a new spine, and a leg without a rod in it, and a way to reverse time).

• Administrators
@MISkier My understanding of the project is they refined everything with a careful intention not to create expensive non-essential tidbits like that.

• Baller
@pcmcon729 We know you have been waiting for this for a while. Was honestly suprised you had not pulled the trigger before the latest upgrades. The more new boats the better. Heard there might be a test ride coming up soon. Sell a horse buy a boat?

• Baller_

@6balls - 2 good reasons not to go with flush screws, from a flow aspect the bump actually helps add some torque and flush would make the Allen insert less so any corrosion could allow an easier head stripping potential.

Question - who sells good underwater calipers:-). Will the settings be shared on BOS...

• Baller

Mastercraft brought a 2021 Prostar to the Western Regionals. I got a personal overview of the boat from Freddie Winters. He was so kind and took the time to answer every one of my questions. Marcus Brown was there the day after. Freddie and Marcus made a great team to demo the boat. When I drove it, it was sweet. It felt like a cross between how the the CC drives in the course along with the great maneuverability of the MasterCraft. The tracking was terrific. The boat was also very smooth and quiet. The display was so user friendly that it took no explanation at all. I loved how the drivers seat was positioned along with how comfortable it was. The right arm rest was perfect placement to not tweak my shoulder when driving. Hopefully the gas gauge issues have been fixed but if not, you can see the gas tank level under the step at the rear of the boat. As for the wakes, I heard many comments that it felt the same even though the boat was being demoed on a deep gravel pit lake. Overall, I was totally impressed. You can tell a lot of thought and engineering has gone into the changes and improvements. pn6m7wsd2rby.jpg

haimw73cuy53.jpg

tihe0fafw097.jpg

qoilmap08mzo.jpg

dy7grvc73q32.jpg

3x3hupnkr4gj.jpg

• Baller

You would have to see the underside or end of steering cable, but, my understanding from the recent demo day thing is there is a roller bearing of some sort with a pin at the end of the cable. The end of cable contains this bearing. You can see what looks like a larger boss at the end of the cable under the tiller / arm.

Then the pin goes thru the bearing and up into the tiller arm / steering arm. You see the nut at end of this pin in the picture above.

Result is the bearing is tighter fit for the pivot Joint than the traditional Clevis which has to have some clearance to allow for assembly.

Ideally the pin would be a tapered fit into the tiller, not sure if that is the case.

Again, this is what I got verbally (plus some additional thoughts) from the demo. I didn’t inspect it.

Great boat. Improvements are awesome.

• Baller

Looks like instead of a U clevis with a pin they just used a roller bearing rod end good upgrade - figure out what the thread on the end of the steerer tube is and you could probably do this to any ski boat in about 10 minutes on mcmaster.com

@Cooper_Trelawney to the best of my knowledge, once the boat is built, its transported to the East Coast for fumigation and loaded on to a ship. The ship takes bit over a month to get to Melbourne, VIC.

As far as pricing compared to the US goes, 2021 ProStars are listed here on BoatSales as starting at AU$127,400 but that includes a fair few options standard and tandem trailer from my understanding.

• Baller
Maybe I'm the last one to figure this out and maybe it is already posted in the thread, but I just discovered that although there is no "Design this boat" feature if you're on the Prostar page of the MC website that I could find, you can select the Xstar from the Boats menu, then select "Design this boat," click on the "Choose your boat" option and switch to the Prostar. My wife and I had fun last night designing our dream Prostar and I felt one small step closer towards her acceptance of the idea.

• Baller

Wondering if anyone has any insight or has noticed that when designing a 2021 Prostar interior the 2nd base color is the large section on top of the engine cover. However, in actual boats that section is the regular base color. For example, this design has Viper Red 2nd base. cldrpy3ktpvc.jpg

This photo below the 2nd base color is a blue but the bigger color on top of the engine is the base color, Platinum. b5lp05prgpc3.jpg Hopefully this makes sense. I noticed this in Mid July with the skittles photo that the dealers were using. Depending on the color choices, it could really change how the interior looks.