Prostars: '92 190, '99 205, and Perhaps a 197

PeterAK

• Members

I'm on my third season with my '92 PS190. I've been chipping away at improving it, I love the wake and like the boat. Things I'd like to do include adding Perfect Pass, a heater, a stereo, and having some some gel cracks repaired.

Last night I skied behind a friends '99 205. First hard cut I had a big OTF. Man, that wake was like hitting a curb compared to my 190. I'm a 15' off 31/32 mph open water skier. Once I recomposed myself I completed my run and later another. Speeding up to 33 helped, but I was not able to cut through the wake the way I can on my 190. Certainly a significant factor here is my ability level.

While we don't need a bigger boat (I'm either out to ski with a couple buddies or pulling kids on our 75 acre lake, so we don't load up for the day or encounter big water) I like the idea of having an open bow. I don't think I'd be happy with a 205. Would a 197 be more like my 190 as a slalom skier?

Thinking about the money for any of these options, doing some more upgrades to my 190 and planning to keep it indefinitely seems like the best decision. Thoughts from those of you who have access to ski behind more boats than I do?

• Baller

@PeterAK - Waupaca? I was back there last week trying to ski on the Chain O' Lakes. Great weather, more people that I'm used to seeing during the week.

FWIW - I had an X-7, similar to the 197, and got rid of it because I thought the wake was terrible compared to the Nautiques I have owned. Back in an open bow 206 now.

• Baller_
Skip the 197. It will be worse than that 205. The earlier 205 models would be better for you than the 1999. Maybe a 1995 (they changed hull in 1996). Those boats skied a lot like the 190.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

75 acre lake? That's tiny!

If you'll entertain other brands, a '03-06 Malibu Response LXi should be at the top of your list. Wakes every bit as good as your 190 and better than the 197 but with an open bow and a bit more room. It's not a big water boat and is prone to taking surf waves over the bow, but on 75 acres, I doubt that's a problem you have. Usually there are a few of them for sale but this year it seems like nobody is selling boats. I do think it'd be the best fit for you though. Plus, if your kids like standing sideways on a water implement, the Wedge is a nice way to get a beginner wakeboard or surf wake.

• Members

Thanks all. Think I'm going to move forward as if I'm going to keep this boat long term and continue investing in improvements for it.

@tlarocque yes, we are on Spencer Lake, which ten minutes east of the Chain. I'm told that the best way to get good water is to head to the river by Freemont, about 20 minutes east on HWY 10, but I've never splashed the boat there.