New Tow Vehicle - what are the real choices?

Horton

• Administrators

I purchased a 4 door GMC Silverado in 2009 and it now has close to 200K miles. It is time for a new tow vehicle. It is not like I am getting rich running a web site so I will not be getting a King Ranch Ford or a Denali GMC. On the other hand, I occasionally need to be able to tow a boat through mountains.

So I need lots of towing capacity, the extra space of an SUV for skis, wife and Buford Danger, dependability, and I do not want to break the bank. My mechanic tells me diesel is awesome for the first 100k miles an then is expensive to maintain for the next 100k miles. I do not care about Ford vs Chevy. The Ford Turbo V6 3.6L EcoBoost is interesting but I have no idea if it is a good idea. The Chevy 6.2L is the obvious choice I guess. The Chevy 3L Duramax is still tempting if I was not afraid of the cost of maintenance down the road. Are the Tahoe / Yukon or Expedition the only logical choices? ( yes I want a Tesla CyperTruck but I can not wait 3 years for that to happen )

Ok motor heads edumacate me. What should I get and why?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d vote for the 3.5l or 2.7l ecoboost fords. I have a 2.7 and with 400 ft lbs of torque it will pull my ski boat anywhere. If you want a little more oompf get the 3.5. I just filled up 20 mins ago and got 21.8 mpg. Xlt trim package is pretty much all I need, if I had a bunch of cash laying around I’d get a lariat.

• Baller
I am a Ford guy but in 2017 I bought a Ram 5.7 EFI Hemi. Zero miles and paid 28.5K. Hard to pass that price up. I have had zero problems and it is a lot of fun with 390HP. Has pulled everything I have asked from SN 196, snowmobile trailer, and camper.

• Baller
A Durango is a bit more economical and can tow 7400 lbs with the V8 hemi. Nice amount of room and layout for a midsized SUV. Should be plenty to tow a prostar without the $ for those other large SUVs you mentioned. More towing capacity than similar mid sized SUVs

• Baller

When you say lots of tow capacity - what is max you want to handle? I am a Toyota fan, and have logged 1/2 million miles cumulatively over 4 Tundras, no major issues ever. Fuel economy sucks, but has plenty of power, towing capacity and the crew max cab is massive. They are built in Texas...

The Tesla and Rivian Electric trucks will not cut it for real long distance towing in their current form. There is a reason there are zero videos on the internet showing a Rivian towing a boat or heavy trailer. Which is a bummer as I LOVE the idea of an electric truck.

• Baller

No need for a 6.2 in a GMC. The 5.3 is plenty for towing your Prostar IMO.

Look for sales on the 2020 and even 2019 for good deals.

Rams with the 5.7 are also not pricey.

No Eco Boost for this guy...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I’ve recently moved from a 2016 Yukon Denali XL (6.2) to an Ecoboost Expedition Max 3.5L. In fairness, the Expedition is reasonably new in the cycle whereas the Yukons are getting refreshed this year. That said, I prefer the Ford over the GMC in just about every possible way so far.

We had significant 6.2 issues at 70k miles (cylinder deactivation malfunction causing a top-end rebuild), the 8 spd transmission shifted hard from early days (I found out after warranty that GMC filled them with lousy fluid with high water content), the radiator needed replacing in under 4 years... the list goes on.

Given Covid we have pretty low miles on the Ford, but the ride and driving feel is vastly superior so far. The interior also has a much more solid, high quality feel as well. We have the 3.5 in the 400hp tune, but not the heavy duty tow package, and it handles a ski boat just fine (6k limit). If I had ordered it vs taking one off the lot, I would’ve gotten the tow package for the beefier 3.73 axle and I think an 8k limit.

• Baller

I personally think that a 4 door full size truck (GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota, Nissan etc) is the most versatile and practical vehicle made. Install a tonneau cover, hook up the boat or camper and it comfortably holds a family of 5 and all your gear.

A diesel 3/4 ton with exhaust brakes is a dream to pull trailers with.

My $.02

• Baller
Ram 5.7 is a tremendous engine, people in the service industry recommended it to me for reliability and it has a unique long warranty as does Jeep. These service people were with German auto brands.

• Baller
@Horton Is your current vehicle starting to have serious issues? If not I would keep driving it since you know its been well maintained over the years. Seems like a big investment just to get a boat through the mountains once in awhile. My current vehicle is a 05 4Runner with a V8 and approaching 200K and I don't see myself selling it anytime soon. Will it break down at some point, most likely but I like my odds since I keep up on maintenance. Even buying low mileage vehicles can become lemons with a long history of needing repairs. If a new tow vehicle is definitely the way you want to go, check out Consumer Reports. They keep data on vehicles over many years so you can see the reliability for a particular vehicle make.

• Baller
Agree that 4dr pickup w tonneau is tough to beat (keeps stinky ski gear out of the cabin), but I'd also say Durango. Bigger than you think, good towing w Hemi, and a lot of nice leftover Daimler DNA that makes it a solid vehicle.

• Baller_
Still have a 93 Suburban with 350k on it, 5.7l , 2nd transmission, pulls boat over WA passes fine. Just traded in our 05 Suburban with 5.3l; it pulled fine as well, started burning oil at 280k. Traded it for a 2020 Tahoe and on our Lk Curlew trip I am already missing the extra room of the Suburban. If you are considering the Tahoe, go Suburban instead. More room, same mileage, nice driving land yacht.

• Baller

Ford F-150 supercrew 6.5' box with 3.0L powerstroke diesel, copious amounts of back seat room for passengers or 'stuff', great towing ability, 10 speed tranny is awesome, long trip comfort is dam near unbeatable, maintenance costs ARE NOT like that of the larger diesels which I have had a half dozen and own 2 large commercial diesels also, I have had the truck for 2 years now and with a yearly 4000 mile trip (2k each way) towing the boat, it is perfect. This last trip came out at just under 15mpg averaging around 80mph...regular non-towing highway driving I get low 20's, if I actually drove the speed limit I would greatly assume it would get much better mileage, zero issues with it yet, oh and it is a 4x4 too, not that you may need that...

Also own a new RAM 1500 with the Hemi, yes it easily pulls the boat but cannot compete on MPG towing or not towing and doesn't hold a candle to the space or comfort of the Ford, crazy fast off the line though and has a nice deep throaty growl though if that's any reason to buy a truck lol

• Baller

2021 Tahoe/Yukon and has been completely redone. Lighter, stronger steel, wider, better suspension, better tech, more tow capacity, more cargo capacity, more room, supposedly better in every way. They were supposed to be out by now, but, you know, Covid. Any engine option (6.2, 5.3, 3.0 diesel) would tow a Prostar swimmingly and I would not personally sweat the diesel option if that's the way you want to go.

If you did not want to roll with a new Tahoe/Yukon, I'd look had at a lightly used German SUV: Benz GLE, GLS, Audi Q7, would be the three I'd look hard at. If you want to go American and not a Tahoe, the Durango is a solid car (especially the SRT version or better yet new Hellcat version) and was one of the good things that came out of the Chrysler marriage from hell with Benz. If you get the upgraded stereo it is absolutely fantastic for a factory system.

The eco-boost is a very good engine, but, meh, its wrapped in a Ford. So, you know, pass.

• Baller

Expedition - Space = lots - many ways to configure the inside for your road trips. - Ride is great ( living room on wheels); long wheelbase great suspension - ecoboost is awesome ( fuel efficient; quiet but you hear it when you want to punch it; and can tow anything i believe you will throw at it. Style is great. auto side steps are a nice option especially for buford.

I have seen good deals come on the Limited MAX edition.

what else do you need?

@horton watch the old eco boost testing videos on youtube from Ford. I believe its a 4 or 5 part series from them. You will be impressed with its performance and longevity and how much you can abuse it. It prides itself on its towing capability for its size. its pretty awesome.

• Baller
@Horton I second the motion to consider a newer style 4 dr truck w a tonneau. I have owned about everything, SUV's and many trucks, Tundra, Nissan, Ram. My new Ram 2500 full 4 door 4x4 has the most comfortable creature comforts of any vehicle I've had including a few overpriced foreign SUV's. So incredibly comfortable for long trips. You have many options, and options are good.

• Baller
I think the key with a 4 door truck is to get the full size rear seating area, I think alot of the 1/2 ton trucks standard rear seating area is abbreviated/ small. Going with a full size rear seating area is a must in my opinion

• Baller

You have a lot of Pandas to hand out with all the pickup references.

Your question is a tough one because larger than a Durango only leaves the Expedition, Tahoe, and Sequoia. I like Toyota but their engines are so old and outdated that it's beyond sad. Ford makes a good towing engine but most are the turbo ecobost and you have to trust that the turbos don't go bad because the cost will be high. Usually full synthetic oil that's changed slightly before recommendation for towing conditions is all you need but it's a bit of a risk. Chevy has their own problems so it's all just rolling the dice in my mind, I know people who have good and bad experiences in both. Pick which you like more and/or get a good price on and move on.

• Baller
@Horton Damn, I really wanted that Panda!! Reading your requirements is like ciphering the Runestone. Saying "Like a SUV" means is not an SUV! My truck is a full four door and roomy. Seats 6 full size adults not Who's. Store your skis in the bed with a hard lockable cover.

• Baller

Expedition a sweet ride, drives super easy, 3rd gear on the highway flies, big bucks, even used.

Bang for the buck tuff to beat an Armada, 5.6, 390hp, 390 ft/lb, can get an 18 sl, with under 40k for under $35. Comes standard with load level and class 3. Just big enough, plenty of rip and pull and easy for moms and nannies to park.

• Baller

I think the 6.2 in a gasser is overkill for your described need. My Yukon XL (Suburban) has the 5.3. I've towed a Super Air Nautique from the Bay Area to Wisconsin and Back. Obviously crossed the Sierras and the Rockies, with a little side trip through the Black Hills just for fun. Also many trips to the foothill lakes in Northern California. Power was never and issue. Currently sitting at 252, 000 miles with the motor and transmission running strong. As far as Diesel, my neighbor just sold his Ford Diesel with 450,000 miles. I think he still got 8 grand for it when he sold it. Yes, there were a couple of costly repairs in there, but as he points out, it's one hell of a lot cheaper than buying 3 or 4 vehicles over the same period of time. FWIW

P.S. Pickups are awesome. I've owned a couple. But, the larger SUV is pretty awesome when you can keep your cooler and other stuff inside, under the air conditioning during those long road trips; awesome when you carry 6 of your kid's friends; and, a whole lot more friendly when you take the dog along.

• Baller
Just got rid of 2016 Expedition. Was at the 100k mark and starting to get pricey in maintenance. Loved the fit and finish of the Ford but went with a new Chevy Suburban because the longevity of the turbos is a concern for me. Love the extra room on the suburban and it’s a really nice ride. More than enough for our little Ski Nautique. I also have 2016 f150 (work truck) that I’ll run till it dies that’s still going strong at 80k. The extra room on the suburban and expedition el is really nice.

• Baller
I just drove my bro in law's. Nissan Armada a couple weeks ago. He bought used with only 20,000 miles. Very strong V8. 3rd row seating. Pretty much what you are looking for. Im a Tahoe fan for sure, but that thing would certainly be worth looking into.

• Baller
Brand loyalty aside, if you are going Ford or GM, buy the Yukon xl, suburban, expedition max, navigator L vs their shorter siblings. I made that mistake on our first Yukon (06). That had a reliable 6L and a 4spd auto that would’ve run forever if we didn’t outgrow it with 2 kids and two dogs. The Mercedes GL was the only other option we could find to possibly fit a dog behind the 3rd row, and that would’ve been extremely tight.

• Baller
My '17 Pathfinder is rated for 6000 lbs. 3rd row seating and a respectable price tag. My only complaint it the trailer for my 97 Echelon isn't the original and it has a lot of tongue weight. It squats the back. If you have a proper trailer though, it won't be a problem. My old MB Sports sat fine. If your only purpose is for hauling the host, maybe something with a V8 but if it's also an everyday vehicle, I really like mine. One last thing, go for the SL trim. I have the SV and had to add an aftermarket hitch that sits below where the factory one comes out of the bumper on the SL's. It means I have a drawbar with a huge rise.

• Administrators

So I am really leaning towards the Ford Expedition with the 3.5L. I would LOVE the Explorer but there is just not enough space inside for family, skis and crap.

As for towing my 200K Silverado can get boats to Sacromento and back but as soon as try to go over the mountains I start worrying about the transmission. It gets HOT.

There are 3 ways to leave my house. North is flat for days. Going South or East is a steep grade. Old truck transmission melting steep grades.

• Baller
+1 for a Tahoe or Yukon. Kept my '01 for 195K and bought a '15. Easy towing for any ski boat and I also tow a MC surf boat across the mountains with it. Never had any significant issues with either of them. Tons of room for all. I'm looking hard at the '21 Duramax models.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
One thing to remember is that boats are inherently easier on a car than many other trailers. They are more aerodynamic and generally weighted correctly. Vehicles like an Explorer, Traverse, etc are fine for most single axle ski boats (replacing the transmission and differential oils more frequently is a must). If you want more room or to really load it down then it's time for the Explanation or Tahoe. Those Expeditions are nice but really expensive. The options jack up the price really fast too. Good luck in your decision.

• Baller
GM 1/2 ton/Yukons/Tahoe trannies used to get really hot towing passes in the summer and you really needed an aftermarket tranny cooler to tow passes in the heat (at least that was my extended family's experience). I have not heard of the 2019+ 1/2 tons with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions and tow package having this problem (my dad has a 2019 and its a much better tow rig than the previous generation and the tranny does not get hot like the older ones). I suspect the 2021 tahoes will have solved this problem as well as they based them on the 2019 1/2 ton platform.

• Baller
For some reason I thought the Expedition is a bit more. One thing to consider is that I think GM has a Tahoe/Suburban replacement coming (I'm at the lake and my latest Motor Trend is at work). If that's known by the dealers, they may be more willing to deal so they can get the old versions off their lots. The market is a bit strange with Covid so that may not matter much.

• Baller
Aviator is way expensive to get the Lincoln badge..not worth it. You'll never complain about having the extra room of an Expedition. The Ecoboost engines are almost too good to be true. Tons of used ones out there with less than 20k miles...hard to go new with the number of great slightly used ones still under warranty.

Not being a Chevy guy I will say the 10 speed trans is the same as in the Ford line. They each do there own calibration to match the power train requirements so may be the old GM trans temp issue will go away. MAYBE! The trans was a joint venture Ford & GM .