Flying with United with skis

Ilivetoski

• Baller

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html

We’ll accept one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as a checked bag. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis

Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag

Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag

If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.

A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.

Service charges for first or second checked bags may apply.

Ski equipment in addition to the bag allowance will be assessed at the current charge for excess bags for a single piece, whether or not it’s presented as a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kilograms) or that contain other items in addition to appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable service charge for overweight checked bags. Ski and boot bags that don’t contain ski-related items will be subject to any applicable service charges for oversized and overweight checked bags.

We’re not liable for damage to water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.

• Baller
Not United specific but in my experience, which is limited, it all depends on the ck. in person. I have a first bag free deal with West Jet and sometimes the Sportube rolls right through and the next I get dinged for oversize and have to fight for a refund later. Doesn't seem to matter if you know the rules or not, they have the power and travel is stressful enough without adding an argument in right at the start. Smile, be friendly and polite, it goes a long way! It helps if you use a travel agent and then they can deal with the hassle if it happens.

• Baller

I've flown with skis tons of times. I've never had a waterski or snowboard get damaged, but my sporttube has been crushed pretty badly. The wheels have been destroyed. A professional once told me that the sporttubes are great, but a forklift will win every time. I will still use my sporttube as it is a great place to put all the wet gear from the last day of a clinic.

I have never been charged extra for what is clearly an over-sized bag. I have no idea why that is, but I walk up and fill things out. I click "no" on the oversize option and they take it without question. If you are worried, get insurance.

If you can plan things out a bit, you could also ship the ski via UPS. That simplifies flying.

I'll leave this here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars

• Baller
Most airline rules will let overlength sport equipment go as long as it's not also overweight, @LOTW is spot on though, we once paid for the return trip on my ski when the trip down it was free, same airline, I was ready to lose my mind but my wife calmly paid the fee and got on the phone the next day and got it back after an hour going through the customer service system. I gladly leave all diplomatic missions to her,

• Baller

I was going to fly Southwest and check a ski until I read about the $75 oversized charge. Is this a new policy or is it being waived?

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Full details.

• Baller
@razorskier1 had lots of miles to use from work, always flew to ski tourneys in first class--all bags free so we'd throw both of our ski tubes up there and call it good. Then I'd sit back in coach with my knees crunched and he'd get the goodies up front. Eventually I was like screw this upgrade me, too! He would book the two tickets, I'd pay for the rental car and the ribs!

• Baller
Snow or water ski equipment is treated differently than regular luggage, as someone has already noted earlier in this thread. Pre-covid, I've flown with my snow skis many times to Utah and Colorado (last time in March 2020, right before everything got shut down) and once (in Dec 2019) with my water ski to Orlando. No issues, no fees, no hassle. Mostly with Delta and Jet Blue, but also with United and Southwest.