Best Boat for 15-off and slower speeds (28-30 mph) ???

utahslalom

• Baller
Are there certain boats that are known to have a better slalom wake at 15off and slower speeds? I have a buddy that is ready to buy a new ski boat and he frequently skis 15-off/28-30mph. He is in his 60s and doesn't aspire to someday ski 35-off at 36mph. He just wants a good boat with a good wake that will get him through the longer line and the slower speeds. He's been looking at the newer TXi and Prostar but is open to almost anything if it will give him a good wake. Thoughts?

• Baller
Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar Prostar

• Baller

In our group we have a couple of women that ski at that speed and have (or have had) the following boats:

'01 Bubble Butt

'04 196

'12 and '14 200

'14 ProStar

'12 and '16 RTXi

It's not even close. Bubble Butt. After that they don't have any consistent preference.

We also have one kid that skis 22-off @ 24.9. Some days she prefers her dad's ProStar... some my 200. When she was younger and skied ~20mph she preferred my old RTXi to her dad's ProStar.

• Baller

If he has money for a new boat, then a Prostar seems to be the best among current models. I would actually suggest that the Prostar is a tiny bit better than my bubble butt, but both of them have absolutely fantastic wakes.

TXi wake is bigger at those speeds/lengths, but typical for malibu is also pretty soft. 200 is just a bit bigger than mine, but not very soft.

That's been my experience anyway. I haven't been able to rip the new Nautique, so I can't place it in there anywhere. I've also still never skied a carbon pro, so I can't comment on that either.

• Baller

To the OP, forget about wakes.

The color, or comfort features, or drive throttle, or cup holder will out weigh what the wake will actually give you pleasure in. Any direct drive boat you buy will have decent wakes.

Look for other stuff.

• Baller

My fiance is getting pretty close to running the course at 26.7 mph @ 15 off. We ski behind a couple of different boats regularly, her power rankings would probably be as follows:

1. 2015 Carbon Pro

2. 1997 Nautique 196

3. 1995 Prostar 190 / 2008 Nautique 196

• Baller
@Martin1980 found a Carbon Pro for my buddy (thank you), but it sounds like he doesn't love the closed bow and smaller interior of the Carbon Pro. He wants the ability to take a few family members with him on occasion. He just found a local 2018 Nautique 200 for sale, but we haven't seen that boat talked about much on this thread, so I think the ProStar is still at the top of his list.

• Baller

If interior space is now added, @rico is really right.

Spotter seat is huge. Back seats are really nice too.

Bow is low though, so loading 3-4 people in driver / spotter seat row + some Lbs in bow will likely = water over the nose. You need to get some folks in the back too to balance boat out, so find one w seats or order from dealer.

If you could add the 2021 back seats to older Prostar that would be ideal solution in my mind. (No clue if that’s possible). They are much lighter to handle.

• Baller

If this ad represents at all honestly what the boat is, it would be at the top of my list. Right here in the valley and with the big engine to make up for elevation. Being in Utah I assume it more likely than normal that you might want a tower and I might actually know a guy who would probably ditch his for a reasonable price.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55906270

• Baller_
The Sporty is an awesome small wake boat at slower speeds. We sometimes play the game "how slow can you go at 15 off & still make a pass" - wake is never an issue. Only down side is pretty small interior and so light it does not track as well. I ski behind one every other week now for 8 years and love it!

• Baller

Mastercraft is Sportstar. Which was budget boat based on 95-97 Prostar hull I think.

Malibu is sportster. Also budget boat, not sure what hull it was based on or if unique. It seemed to have a smaller but very firm wake. Small boat. I’d stay away from that for OP request, which “space” was added as desire.