Thinking of switching to one foot start

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I use a RTP and have always gotten up with 2 feet in. Some days I nail my deep water starts, the next day I have issues.

I think I would like to try a 1 foot start. I'm not sure how to hold my free leg and how much throttle should the driver give me ?

• Baller
have you ever gotten up that way before? I used to do that growing up. It's way easier on your body than a double boot start. I've been two-hoofing it since about 2001 but if I'm skiing on a ski with a kicker just farting around on the lake with something other than my usual ski, I'll start dragging a leg every time.

• Baller
@Ski_Dad that is the only way I know how to deep water start. I can’t get up with both feet in to save my life. As @Bruce_Butterfield says, drag your rear foot like a rudder. Keep it close to your body and put in the rtp as soon as you are standing. Easy peasy.

• Baller
Learned that decades ago... Getting up behind a 35 horse boat. Did it again last summer after lumbar disc herniation. Drag the back foot like a rudder longer than you think is necessary , then step up on to back of ski and walk /squirm foot slowly up to toe loop. I like to practice both that and two foot start.

• Baller
I never got the whole rudder thing. When I start that way I leave my trailing leg behind me almost like I'm doing a split, then when it's go-boat I pretty much let it act like dead weight until it's time to stand up. Any time I'd try to "steer" with my drag leg I'd have unintended consequences.

• Baller

Not sure how to share a video clip, but I always thought this video of Andy Mapple shows what I do, and what I try to tell others to do. Go to YouTube and search "Skier's Lifestyle: Andy Mapple". At the 5:15 minute mark is a good view of him getting up dragging a leg. Hands low, ski at a good angle, gets over the ski (not behind it), uses core/back to prevent getting pulled forward, then hinge at the hips. He bends his arms a little more than I do, but being the GOAT, he can do whatever he wants.

Full disclosure. I'm a hack recreational skier, and not even an average teacher, but this is what works for me. I never really do the rudder thing either. Don't do much with my back leg. There is a pretty good split between front and back. I focus on pressing my front leg, not getting pulled forward, and finally a good hinge like I'm finishing a deadlift.

• Baller
With double boots I don't have a choice; with RTP I'd go foot out every time. Same with a trick ski. I keep my back knee out to the side and toe pointed back and use my back leg for more lift. I pop right out compared to two feet in. Or dock start or step start--even better.

• Members

This is a very helpful thread as I'm new to skiing and just started deep water starts last year. I could never get the one foot out and have been doing two feet in as it is the only way I was able to get up consistently. The hard part was getting in a stable position from the point you say "yup" and the driver hits it. Going to try some of these tips.

Well once the hole in my ear heals but that is another story.

• Baller
Agree with @Bruce_Butterfield . Rear leg acts as rudder. How I also learned 100 years ago. What’s weird though is I wanted to try a double boot system a few years ago and have been skiing one since, and now trying to get up with only 1 foot in is nearly impossible for me . I always felt 1 foot made getting up so much easier as let’s you get much more forward over the ski to get it on plane quickly

• Baller
I learned dragging a foot and did it that way for years until I went with a double boot. This summer I skied on a sky that had a rear toe loop so I thought I would just drag a leg. NO WAY! I was all over the place!

• Baller
Ditto all the other comments about dragging the leg as a rudder. I started many eons ago behind old underpowered outboards by dragging the leg behind. Went to double high wraps for many years and back to RTP. One leg starts are much easier on the lower back, at least that is my experience.

• Baller

I like to teach LFF skiers to lock their left elbow to their left knee during the get up (until you are ready to stand up). RFF skiers would lock the right elbow to the right knee. This keeps your body in alignment and your front knee bent (enough) and your weight in a good starting position over the ski. I think it is harder for people to get pulled forward when they try to lock elbow/knee.

Rudder is what people say. Just let your back leg relax and drag. When you are ready to stand up, scissor your back leg up under your body as your stand up on your front leg. People will press down with their back foot's toes if they need to add stability. As you get more comfortable, this will no longer be needed.

• Baller
I used to use a rear toe kicker (and loved it) until I started skiing on a short lake. If I missed the kick in on the first try, my gate shot was ruined. Also, occasionally I wouldn't get my back foot in tightly, and it would either feel loose or come out. Not fun. Toe loops don't last nearly as long as a full back boot, at least in my experience. I used to carry an extra toe loop with me all the time because I never knew when one might break. Having the back foot free, deep, and behind the body is definitely easier on the pull up, but I am no longer willing to risk a missed first pass in a tournament.

• Baller
I tried it about 2 seasons ago, the result was something borderline level 3 hamstring rupture and a 6 week holiday. Not to mention laying face down on the dock on bird shit weeping like a 4 year old after it went snap, I imagine getting shot in the back of the leg would have been less traumatic.

• Baller
I would say one leg all day long...all my life. I don't even get my hair wet. Then I had one start this year where I got folded and pulled a hammy pretty bad--no tear or complete snap but was very sore for a few weeks. Very odd not sure how I did that...

• Baller
I’m 64 and started skiing decades ago using the one foot method which never went well. At about 45 years old and not skiing for awhile, I switched to both feet in still using an RTP and that worked a lot better. Today I am getting up better and easier than I ever have and this is what I tell people that ask. First, always have the boat in gear. This helps straighten and control the ski. With your back foot as close to your rear end as possible, it allows you to rotate forward so that your weight is more over your ski which flattens your ski (maybe 8 or so inches of ski shows) and gets your upper body leaning slightly forward. If you are in the right position you should notice your body rise slightly in the water when in gear. When the boat goes, tense ALL your muscles and your first motion should be to rise up. If you go down or rotate backwards, you are in the wrong position, Second, get rid of the baggy shorts if you have them! I switched to a skin tight knee length Speedo several years ago and it’s so much easier. Not having what feels like 50 extra pounds of water on your rear end can make a surprising difference. Bonus tip. If you your life jacket is hitting your ears when you’re in the water, it’s way to loose, too big, or both.

• Baller
I have always gotten up with one foot in. I am capable of getting up with two feet but it is much harder on my body. I haven’t missed a gate yet having to kick in but I can see it being a risk if I missed the kick.

• Baller

I describe it to people learning starting with only one foot in as using their rear foot as a rudder behind them for stability by pointing your toes down and drag you instep.

This is helpful for new slalom skiers as they can keep dragging the rear foot for stability once they are up to get their balance before transitioning the rear foot into the toe loop.

I learned to drag up but once I switched to starting with both feet in I never went back.

• Baller

Yesterday afternoon, I paid more attention to my get up.

For a 1-foot start (LFF), I make sure the left side (inside) of my left bicep is touching left side of my left knee. I get up with a standard LFF handle grip -- my left hand is grabbing over the top of the handle -- but for years I gripped "backwards" so either should work.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to describe.

i0caq6ti38ma.jpg

When the boat starts to lift me out of the water, I don't try to maintain this connection for very long. I let my body roll forward over the ski with my back leg dragging behind me. Then, I scissor my legs together as a stand up.

I do a similar sort of thing in my 2-foot starts -- I'm pinching my knees from both sides, but the arm placement is slightly different. Here, I make a tiny ball that can't roll out of position as the boat goes in/out of gear.

• Baller

This picture is from an ancient (60s) book and he has a funky old two handle rope (tho possibly helpful for starts) Use one of those deep V handles, or any regular rope/handle with the rope on your back leg side of the ski.

ycy53ttzji43.jpg

• Baller

@mmskiboat It takes more to describe, but I'll give it a shot! I'll describe for a left-foot-forward (LFF) skier.

For starters, I pinch closer to my actual knee (left elbow, left knee). My right forearm close to the elbow pinches just below the knee above the calf muscle. The idea being you should be in a tight ball with your back leg up as close to your body as possible. By pinching with your arms, you create a small, compact ball that follows the handle as the boat (gently) pulls you forward.

Before I tell the driver I'm ready, I put the ski on a 45-degree angle to the left with the rope to the right of the ski. This slight lean is much easier to maintain while the boat gets set. Also, it will make it almost impossible for you to roll over to the right.

When I'm driving a newbie who's learning 2-foot starts, I will put the rope off the left corner of the transom and keep it there until I hear a "go boat." I straighten the wheel before accelerating. This mean the boat keeps turning in a slight circle until accelerating. By doing this, the skier is no longer being forced into perfect alignment with the boat... boat -> rope -> handle -> feet -> ski. This gives the skier the opportunity to balance in what becomes a 3-point stance. The skier is actually no longer directly behind the boat and will get pulled back to centerline with their body being "open to the boat." Your feet are no longer in alignment with the directional force the boat is applying and therefore your body has a chance to achieve a little bit of left/right balance through your feet. It is subtle, but I find it helps those who are learning. Eventually as one gets more comfortable this is no longer needed. In a way, it is similar to what I teach people getting up on a wakeboard for the first time.

If the skier is not intentionally leaning to the left, I will watch for them to unintentionally lean left. It is almost always bound to happen as the skier is adjusting their weight to stay in position. I never give the boat gas if I see the ski leaning to the right as that's a recipe for failure 99% of the time, in my opinion. Even just a very slight angle to the left will help the chance of success.

As others have described, when getting pulled up 2-foot, it is important to keep your butt as close to your back ankle as possible. The closer to your ankle, the less water in your shorts. You'll know when you are doing it right when you don't get bogged down by ballooning shorts. ;-) If you wear tight shorts this won't be an issue that you'd notice. I'm not sure how else to describe the sensation, but when done properly, the get up is very effortless.

I have a friend I ski with in Maine. He has had a bad back for decades and gets up 2-feet in. He probably weighs between 200-230 pounds depending on the summer. He asks for a very gentle start. I give him a softer start than I give my wife, who weighs in at approximately half his weight. And he pops up quickly too. I say this just to point out that it is more about finesse than muscle.

• Members

@o2bnMaine Thanks for taking the the to describe the process, very helpful. I went to a 2 foot start as I could not get a 1 foot starts (started last year). But I had no idea what I was doing with 1 foot, this post has lots of info so I will try again. 2 foot was easier for me as I was able to muscle up as I have the ski for leverage but I had to get in perfect alignment to get it working. Starting this year it was hit or miss, again your post has lots for me to work on.