2018 Radar Carbitex Boots

matt_b

• Baller
Just curious how long people are getting out of these boots? I love them and this is my 2-3rd pair but after 2 seasons of average use I need to start zip tying them together around the back side where the rubber meets the material. I always remove the liners and kept indoors during the off season. What is your experience with these? Any suggestions? Really concerned with safety.

• Baller
Never had wear there yet but only get about 60 sets in a season. Canada is not conducive to a long season. Always take boots out of shell and let them dry and keep them out of the Sun. Sounds like you do the same. Maybe your experience with average use is 150 sets/season and you have a higher wear rate??

• Baller
I am on my third northern Vermont season on my Carbitex boots. The back of my front boot is breaking down, but the rear boot is holding up well. I loosen and remove my liners each time I take the boots off. I will probably replace the front boot at the start of next season.

• Baller_

This has been a problem since these types of boots were first introduced. I am now on my 5th or 6th boot since they were introduced and will continue to use them.

My carbitex boot also has the back rubber piece rotted out, yet the rest of the boot looks brand new. I punched some holes, installed brass grommets and laced it back up with black rubber tubing. Also mounted it on a MOB system.

cpxrvn74x9kk.jpg

• Baller

This boot has three full seasons on it and looks the same as the day I got it (never used this liner). This was a replacement for a torn 2016 model (the orange and black ones).

How tight are you cinching down the laces?

I just put 2020s on my ski but think I'll keep this as a spare.

BTW flex tape works awesome for repairing these when they tear. Have a few buddies who are several years on repaired ones that function as new.

tbbykt5zddbv.jpg

5bz3y1lfixv1.jpg

• Baller
Thanks for all the comments. Like I said this is my 3rd pair and they have all fallen apart at the same exact areas. I actually wear a 10, but use a 11 just because they feel better on the width. And for safety I never clinch them tight. Dislocated knee, 10 years ago. I really try to be gentle with them, but it sure looks like its a common issue for most. I'm embarrassed to post a pic of them now, but I am still using them, hopefully last the rest of the season. Just seems for 650 bucks a pair they should last longer.

• Baller
Make sure to really open up the lacers fully before getting them on too don't want to push in too hard. Had a pair of more adjustable ones on the boat ski and a moose of a cousin blew out the back trying to cram his size 13 paw in there.

• Baller
I get 3 years out of mine and never remove the liners. Florida skier! When done I rinse the ski and bindings with clean water and fan dry. Shoe size 10 and binding size 10. I always wet bindings first before putting my foot in. Mine split down the middle in the back.

• Baller
I never remove the liners from mine either. I loosen all the laces and slide my foot out of the binding. I leave the binding open in my shed to dry. I am a twice a week at most skier and frankly haven’t been skiing very hard but my boot still looks great.

• Baller
I have boots going back to 2009. No failures. How many people are using soap to put their boots on? Can't be good for the rubber.For older boots out of warranty boots wish there was an option to buy the rubber heel pieces.

• Baller

This is what the back of my front boot looks like after the 2017, 2018, 2019 and half of the 2020 season. I take my feet out with the liners after each set, and let them dry. I never use soap. The back of my rear boot looks like new. I will likely replace the front boot at the start of next season. bwxfuohdmcyf.png

• Baller
I had the same issues with mine after only 4 or 5 months. I really think they had a bad batch come through. Radar and there great customer service was willing to replace mine. I have had my replaced pair for well over a year with zero issues. I always take the liners out and my ski stays covered and out of the sun when not in use. One trick for placing liners back in the shell is to cut out some flexible clear drafting table type sheet vinyl in the exact shape of your shell footbed (place the vinyl under the shell and trace it out). The liner will slip into the shell a lot easier and take stress off the rear rubber. I also slightly wet the bottom of liner as well.

• Baller

I use the products for maintaining the latex seals on drysuits. Treat the boot rubber ever few weeks. Also use a long wide plastic shoe horn to slide in liner and use it to slip my feet into a dry liner when skiing.

2011 Strada boots that still look like new.

• Baller
Thanks for all the input. It seems that people's experience is either No problems or total fail. Like I said this is pair number 3. Is the Pulse comparable? What will I be giving up in performance if anything? I went to a 11 in the Carbitex somewhat to give me more room side to side for my foot width. I read on another post that the Pulse is a bit wider. @brooks ? Don't think any shops in Austin have any to try on for size.

• Baller
@thager I always use soap, a couple sprays of diluted soap, to make it easy to slide my feet in (and, help save wear on the liner). Never had any issues with the rubber. I also keep the top laces a bit loose, especially on the back boot. Not sure that helps save the rubber, but I like knowing my feet will come out if needed. Lower laces are snug with the BOA.

• Baller
@Zman Depends on the kind of soap I guess. Some like Dawn are quite caustic, others not so much. More than likely a combo of causes like acid or basic water, soap, too small boot, removing and replacing liner, sun, bad manufacture etc.