What can you tell me about a Radar RS-1

Ufda

• Baller

I’ve been skiing on a friend’s Radar RS-1 for the past couple years. I found I liked it a lot better than my mid-90s KD-7000. I was thinking about buying a new ski for myself, but wanted to figure out what it is I’ve been skiing on. I couldn’t find any description on the web. Is it a high-end ski? Intermediate? Measured it tip-to-tail and I think it’s a 67”. Overall, I like how it skis a lot, but I haven’t compared it to anything else except my ancient KD-7000.

A couple questions about new skis, and how they’d compare. I’m 6’0”, about 205lbs right now (but before covid was about 200). At my best, I’ve skied a course at 15’ off, 30mph, but I do mostly open water skiing about 30-32mph, usually at 15’ off.

According to the weight charts I’ve found, I should probably have the next size bigger ski. What is that going to feel like (going from a ski that’s a bit too small, to the right size)?

Based on my ability, I was eyeing a Radar Senate, maybe graphite? Can anyone offer any advice as to how that would compare to the RS-1 I’ve been skiing on? Any other skis I should have my eye on? Anyone know of a place in the Seattle, WA area that does demos?

• Baller

The RS1 was radar's top ski for a year or two then the moved on to the strada which lasted for 3 or 4 years and then onto the Vapor that they make now (albeit not the same ski shape and design as the current vapor).

Wileys is definitely your best bet. You can probably even demo some different skis through them.

• Baller

Let @Chris Rossi himself tell you

I actually just pulled out my RS-1two weeks ago and started skiing on it again when the mid-summer doldrums hit and I think I'm going to stick with it for a little while longer. It's fun for me in the course at 34/28off.

If you're free skiing, in my opinion what works best is whatever is fun. Fun should be your goal. If the RS-1 is fun, stick with it. If you like change, try something else. The ski isn't the only possible change for more fun. Change your speed and rope length. Change your shorts! I try to change something every set.

• Baller

Interesting timing of this post. I just rode a buddies rs1 for the first time. I was open water skiing. And like you im at 200lbs. I ski at 28@34mph. At that speed 67 felt just fine. It actually feels faster than my 68" d3. It's not set up for me, so especially off side turn was a struggle, but I certainly think I could improve that with time and tweaking the fin and binding placement. As said earlier, if it's fun and only free skiing, then use it. I thought it was a great ski for either

I would suggest increased speed, it will help the ski feel better for you. And play with shorter line, it's a blast!

I didn't see your request about bindings above, but someone commented. Two buddies have radar prime and i just got vapors. Honestly they feel almost the same, but both are of very good quality. I'd say save$$ and get the prime binding.