The 2021 DV8 featuring VersaTail by Connelly Skis

ROBOT

• Administrators

IMG 5010

With every year, we aim to deliver something fresh to the slalom ski market. Whether that’s building off of previous years’ technology or introducing innovative technology, we strive to meet your needs on the water.

This year, we decided to take it up a notch and bring you something bold and brand new.

Introducing, our latest high-end, competition ski for 2021, the DV8. Featuring patent pending VersaTail technology, this is the most customizable ski ever. 

Throughout the years, brands have been on a quest to create a ski that checks all the boxes. However, varying styles and skills have the one-shape-fits-all designs falling short.

What if you could choose the shape that best fits you? VersaTail allows you to take your fine tuning to another level. This patent pending technology gives skiers that ability to take a step beyond the standard fin and binding adjustments and choose how they want the water to flow off the tail of the ski. This is made possible through three tail options that come standard with the DV8.

The DV8 is also our most forgiving ski ever built. It’s constructed with an increased rocker, subtle top shape and softened flex pattern that all work in conjunction to allow more room for error and less perfection on the skier’s part.

The DV8 featuring our VersaTail technology is the first and only ski that gives you even more control over how your ski performs.

Connelly DV8 featuring VersaTail — the most customizable, high-performance ski ever.

Learn more at connellyskis.com/dv8

Left Isolated Image

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I took maybe 10 sets in the ski this spring so this is NOT a review.

The tails for sure made a difference. To me the difference in the tails can be most felt at apex. When I told the factory what I like they told me that I was not in the majority of the test skiers. This does not surprise me and underlines the value of finding the tail that works for you.

What I was really excited about was the new flex. This ski is clearly my favorite Connelly of the modern era. It is faster, more stable and just easier to ride.

• Baller

I do find it interesting - connelly releases this - HO specifically talked about the radius of the tails of the Omega Max and Pro being rounder. And Radar has a new clean tail - curious what that is - but of the line up sounds like lots of tail tweaking.

• Baller_

I wouldn't be surprised if 'real' (ie: EZ Fin) DFT intent remains the same although 'caliper' DFT would be different across the tails.

So now there are 6 measurements for fin settings: tips/jaws Length, EZ fin/caliper DFT and washer / non washer side depth. :D

• Baller

Few years ago I was told that Maple and Kris LaPoint where working on this idea of the three detachable tail shapes....and where going to release a Maple ski with this technology.

It’s good that someone is using this idea, it could be a very good step forward in the ski evolution.

• Baller

I do find it interesting - connelly releases this - HO specifically talked about the radius of the tails of the Omega Max and Pro being rounder. And Radar has a new clean tail - curious what that is - but of the line up sounds like lots of tail tweaking.

• Administrators

As far as DFT goes. I set my DFT with the tail that look like the old stock tail. I then did not touch my fin but changed the tail shapes.

I don't think you are going to be able to get consistent DFT measurements between the different tail shapes. Somebody's going to have to work out a standard method for sharing DFT numbers on this ski. My suggestion is that you always do DFT with the middle or standard tail.

• Baller
I must say, with the success of the whisper fin and cg fin, I'm surprised that this is the next "big thing" that a ski company has released. I thought for sure a company would be releasing a new ski using a radically new fin design to compete with the whisper and cg.

• Baller
FWIW I did not like the GT (the two I had) side to side, too slow and forget about it in a headwind. This innovation is going to be interesting to watch and its really cool to see this sort of thinking coming through into production, I wonder if it is possible for an asymmetrical tail option...

• Baller

@Horton a lot of people have done to a lot of testing and design of skis to get where we are today, the tail is part of the ski shape and design, do you think, messing with the design by altering the tail of the ski, is such a good idea, Surely a Ski manufacturer would play around with that, to get the best results, before releasing a ski to market.

I am am sorry, but I do not believe there is such a thing as, One Ski Fits All , it will never happen.

• Baller

@Stevie Boy literally at this moment the new HO's the new Connelly, and the new Radar all have departures on their tail design.

Go check that photo of the Radar clean tail - not sure if that's the finished shape but it sure looks similar the the connelly tail with the sharp edge. And if you check the HO Omega Max video they rounded the edges. Point being if they had it so figured out they wouldn't keep changing it.

• Baller_
@skialex I actually texted Kris about this, they were working on it for quite sometime, and went other routes/put the idea on the backburner, very cool to see them get this to market, will be watching closely to see what people think when they start getting the hands on them. Always thought it was a good idea!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Posted this in the other thread about product predictions but thought it might be relevant in the thread about the DV8 and VersaTail. I'll let @JoelHowley answer any technical questions here but in the meantime, his video is quite insightful to the thought process and development and then consequential performance of each tail piece.

And if you only take one thing away from this video, let it be Joel's passion for skiing. My goodness! :)

• Baller

My ski works fine, it is far more capable than the person standing on it, do I think a different shaped tail is going to make any difference, I very much doubt it.

If I want bolt ons, I would by a Datsun

@Horton bindings and fin adjustment does not mess with the design and shape of the ski, they help you tune it, changing the tail is changing the design.

There is a good chance everytime you change that tail shape you are going to be fin fiddling,

I have strived to eliminate the variables as much as possible, why introduce more.

• Baller
I'm excited about this innovation, I'm on a 68 - a bigger guy as @JoelHowley described so graciously as a "powerful" skier - lets face it I'm a bit overweight and the ski sinks the tail. Given that having an option to customise my ski to have a square tail would be great... @Stevie Boy not sure your negativity to having an innovative idea is fair - I get it if you fit the "norm" - then great use the stock tail... but lighter or heavier skiers will enjoy the customisation that we have not previously had. Think to the future - a ski that you can use a similar block to make it longer or shorter or flex differently?? Connelly - if you run with that idea - you're welcome...lol

• Baller

I Made these about 2 years ago, the shape was not my idea (another skier/coach you would all know) but the fitment on the ski was where I went with his idea. I used them for quite a while, 3 different lengths, with the mid length one being best. Maybe connelly should add this shape to the line up? It was a very good development !! Ultra smooth and fast turns!!! Long way back into the wake after the turn buoy on both sides, ZO almost couldnt gas me early enough !! It was a blast!

34uab6lk5lir.jpg

ycdyejxmts56.jpg

2kedtmd68u7z.jpg

9rai8a0pgett.jpg

221705l7ra75.jpg

rh4azzxh6qgl.jpg

9vlwspbh7an9.jpg