Regina's 39 from Sunday: worthy of its own thread

UWSkier

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield - The first time I saw the video, I immediately said, "skied over the line!" But damn, that ends all other mere mortals' ski rides. Not Regina!

She has a history of "wheelies" at the ends of turns but has developed the "slam the ski back on cutting edge" technique like no other skier I know. That muscle-memory skill saved the pass for her. She must have been only a frog's hair clear of the rope when she slammed that ski back on edge.

• Baller
What can you say? She's simply incredible. And she's doing that at 34 mph. I ski at 31. At 34, I can turn my ski but I don't have the power or ability to make much of a cut at all. She just cranks that ski around the buoy so easily. And that scrappy pass she made in the subject video? Unbelievable! What athleticism and ability! I'm in awe. :o

• Baller_
Regina is a force of nature. Her balance and strength combo is uncanny. 1,3,5 is her bread and butter. She is consistently better on that side than the 2,4 and her onside is amazing in and of itself. When I saw her overrun on the gate I wondered how she would even get out of one. My buddy Noah pointed out that no matter how bad things got in the pass she always got her hips back into alignment by the wakes. As Freddy said while announcing at the Nats. that is like a super power. To do it consistently is hard enough but to do it on an overrun gate and having to survive the absence of line support when needed is why the the phrase pro athlete means so much more than how much prize money is on the line. We are witnessing historical greatness.