Wheelies during shortline

MNshortliner

• Baller

Watching the vid of Regina’s “Crazy” 39 pass... Her 1,3,5 side she comes out around the buoy and doesn’t complete the turn ,the ski stands up and she has to regroup, brings the ski back down and gets back to the work zone to make it back to 2,4,6. That is a lot for just one buoy.

I am experiencing the same thing but on my 2,4,6 side I am also RFF, I believe Regina is RFF. I think I am rushing the turn some or just not being patient enough. I am skiing -38 34mph.

What is the most common fix for wheelies just after getting your hand back on the handle.

And how do you post a vid instead of using Dropbox or others. The quality of the vids really diminish doing that.

• Baller
Not getting much response on this. See if we can get something started. Seems like you stay on the edge too long at the gates. You're still on the cutting edge past the spray. I think that is causing you to be rushed at the ball. May need to shift your cutting timing some so you get on the inside edge sooner. Anyway, still some good skiing.

• Baller

Sorry, I do have a great slo mo video from my iPhone but when I upload it to YouTube it runs at normal speed. But here is that same video at speed.

So are you saying my pull should be a little shorter and my trasition be quicker? Sometimes skiing 35 I really notice the edge change is a flick rather than a roll.

• Baller

@MNshortliner - nice skiing there. One part of the video that was not visible was the pullout for the gate.

When I wheelie my ski (at passes much less difficult than you) I have found that I was either on the back of the ski, trying to turn with too much load on the rope, trying to turn too quickly, or trying to get too much angle in a super short amount of time.

On your one ball you come towards the ball fast and make a tight turn, the wheelie is the pressure relief, but then you recover and get over to two ball. When I slowed down your video and watched your body positioning relative to the ski, it looks like you were shifting to the back of the ski, ever so slightly. This may be a reaction to the recovery sequence from before. When you where coming into the wake from buoy one you had your left shoulder turned towards shore and you where further over the front of the ski. Once you had the speed you wanted and got across the second wake and into the preturn the slight shift backward is a natural reaction to the speed and direction towards two ball.

Hopefully this makes sense - I stand to be corrected as I am not near the level skier you are. Great skiing.

• Baller_

On your gate glide, you have nearly all your weight on the back foot - you want to feel like you have ALL your weight on the front foot. This causes you to turn in on the back foot - again you want to turn with all your weight on the front foot. The result of the back foot turn is you let up right before the wakes which causes arms to come out.

You want just a slight knee bend on your front leg - right as you start the turn in, your front leg is locked. Again weight distribution.

Check the spacing on your rear foot/boot. Too much separation will contribute to shifting weight back and forth. Its a little hard to tell from the video, but based on body position, I think moving your back boot forward will help. If the back boot is as close as you can get it, you may try moving both boots forward.

You are also letting the handle out as soon as you hit the wakes. Ski setup can contribute to this, but focus on tight core and holding the handle tight against your body until you start the reach.

The ski setup may need some fine tuning, but start with these things first.

IMO, its much better to focus on body position and keeping the handle in close. That will make the timing/transition/edge change nearly automatic.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

On the turn into the gates when you connect with the boat the ski is still pointed down course quite a lot. I think that has to do with what Bruce was saying about being on the back foot. If you could get more on top of the ski in the glide and get a little more free of the boat then turn in and get the ski between the handle the boat resulting in starting your pull early so you don't have to pull long to get to one. That's what I was saying not shorting your pull just shifting the work zone. The gate sets the rhythm and timing for the course. It's hard to be patient in turn if the boat already connecting before you are able to finish the turn, that's the timing that is established from the start.

You might try a video coaching session. I did a couple with CP a few years ago and he picked out a few things that I didn't see that really helped me. I was thinking like Bruce you might need some ski tuning but the 35 pass looks smoother. I put a 3/16" shim under the heel of my back boot to help me get up on the ski more seeing as I wear 14 shoes I can only get my boots so close together. Really overall looks good. I doubt I'll ever run 38.