Trailer bearings and grease

LOTW

• Baller

My boat gets trailered about 20miles/year, previous owner did less. Last few years the trailer was making a loud rattling noise, aluminum trailer. Bearing hubs were not warm but could not figure out the noise. Last year, I pulled the hubs apart and the bearings fell apart on the ground. New bearings, races, seals, Lukas grease and $400.00 later. Ok, should be good forever now as the noise is gone and all good. Throw the boat on the trailer last fall, always careful to only have the wheels under water for as short a period as possible. Boat in storage for the winter and all good. Pull boat out this spring and the noise is back, bearings NFG AGAIN, WTF! Hubs had water in them and bearings rusted and pitted. I know how to repack bearings and how to set the spindle nuts torque, used high end grease, New seals etc, I'm stumped!

Any recommendations on grease? That's the only thing I can think of, thoughts?

• Baller
I’ve had bearing buddies on my last two boat trailers. Spring-loaded caps with a grease fitting in center. By monitoring depth of plunger you can see when you need to re-full the BBs. Spring is constantly pushing grease into bearing.

• Baller

Timken bearings (older automotive style) are pre-loaded typically to about 15 ft. lbs. of torque, backed off and set around 5-10 ft. lbs. At least that's what I've been doing on my Eagle trailer. It's a 2002 and I've never changed bearings. I just shoot a wad of grease into each zirk every time I put it in the water. I think I have Lucas marine grease in my gun at the moment.

Did I mention the bearings are original? :)

• Baller

It has bearing buddies but I just repacked the bearings so they were full.

Yes, snug up, back off, take up the slack on nut.

Only thing I can see is the grease was crap! Going to try different grease on one side this time.

The thing that really gets me is the amount of trailers that I see on the side of the highway with burned out bearings vs. the number of trailers traveling, not many but then there's me with no miles and $400.00/yr.

• Baller
@LOTW Some people forget to check the grease seals on the inner side of the hubs. If hose are dry-rotted, they'll let water in and wreak havoc as well. If bearings have clean grease in them and are torqued correctly, they can last hundreds of thousands of miles.

• Baller
The weak link on hubs--even those with Bearing Buddies, is the inner seal. These can actually be damaged by pumping too much grease into the hub. Bottom line, pump in a little grease according to use, and service them every few years.

• Baller
Bearing buddies need positive internal pressure. If you have neutral pressure and get them warm (towing) then cool them by dunking them into a cold lake, you could possibly ingest a little water that way. Make sure the spring cap is floating a bit. If the spring cap is bottomed out, add grease until it's not.

• Baller

Mileage isn't as important as the amount of time it sits having a little water in it.

Bearing buddies are just ok....super lube hubs are much better. Can't overfill, complete change out of grease without disassembling (do that before you store for the winter.) Don't know about an oil bath retrofit, but super lube is a simple change-out of hub. As mentioned above, if you drive enough to warm up the hubs then dunk in water before they cool, it will compress the grease and suck in water. Super lube recommends a couple squirts of grease anytime you launch straight away after driving a little while.

• Baller_
I have the Vault hubs. Just had the inner seal go this year on an 11 year old trailer with thousands of miles on it. No damage. Just noticed some leakage on the inside of the wheel and had it addressed. Had the seals replaced and one bearing had gotten water in side and was replaced also.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Our new Mastercraft came with the vortex hubs. Maybe sounds similar to the Vault? Supposedly maintenance free for 5 years. I didn't trust not touching the hubs for 5 years, especially on a 1200 mile round trip, so I added some grease 1/2 way through the trip. It was simple, like the super lube. Big difference is its a sealed cap to prevent water getting in. And the lucas oil specified acts like an oil bath when it warms up. Dont' know retrofit options.

• Baller

How did you add grease? The vaults are a semi sealed system that uses a thick grease which becomes a liquid when it warms up. Is there a zerk on your somewhere? When you do rebuild them after the 10 years you replace the caps (not supposed to reuse) along with the special grease. The vortex looks like the exact same system

Kits

https://www.dexteraxle.com/products/Hub-Hub-Drum/hub-components/vault-vortex

• Baller

@LOTW my trailer is probably 22 years old and has seen some neglect. This has led to corrosion on the hub inner sealing surface allowing water intrusion.

Last fall I sleeved the sealing surface, will see how things fared this year.

Just another thing for you to keep in mind if your issue repeats.