Wetsuits for colder water.

Cent

• Baller

Get her a drysuit.

If she really wants to stay with a wetsuit, get one with glued-blind stitch seams or that otherwise has taped and sealed seams and a thicker neoprene (thick enough for the desired temperature). Maybe look at an O'Neill hyper freak or psycho tech / psycho one suit and a wetsuit hood or hat.

• Baller

I’ll ski into the low 40’s with a black tek once it gets below 40- 38 ish I’ll pull a black tek top over the full suit. I’ll pull six passes and drop at each end, and I’ll be 80 % dry when I take the suit off.

If I can only figure something out for my hands I’ll be laughing

• Baller

@Cent A tip I got for skiing in Swedish cold spring waters was to complement the full Camaro suit with their tank top and their shorts under it. That worked great for me.

https://www.perfski.com/camaro-tight-titanium-wetsuit-shorts.html

https://www.hotwater.cc/camaro-2mm-camaro-titanium-top.html

I guess any brand neoprene shorts and top works if you can’t get hold of the Camaro top in US.

• Baller
I'll add another recommendation for the O'neill Hyperfreak or Psycho. I have a 4/3 thickness full suit and it's great. Add some low cost neoprene shocks, if her binding works with them and still release, and a neoprene hat. That combo works for me in those temps.

• Baller
@jimski and @Cent Another tip from cold Sweden re hands. First kevlar liners, then nitrile or vinyl gloves (the kind used on hospitals), then you regular glove in next larger size. The nitrile or vinyl layer protects both against getting wet and wind chill, works wonders B) . If handle to thick with all the layers, go for next size smaller handle diameter also.

• Baller

@vtmecheng Absolutely, that combo works great! I have an O'Neill Epic 4/3 that I've had 7 years now. Use it for everything, including scuba, and probably ski 40-50 sets a year with it. Starting to get worn out now but that's a hell of a lifespan. My boots are a little on the large side (Radar Pulse, 11 is too tight, 12 is too loose) so I run some 2mm socks in them year round. I think I paid $20 for them. But the neoprene beanie is the icing on the cake. Without that your head gets cold and then nothing matters.

I ski with this setup above 45 degree water temp. For those 3-4 sets below that per year I get out the drysuit, but I hate the mobility and the plastic baggy feel. Full length thick wetsuit is much better.

• Baller
I forget where I got them or what brand they are, but someone makes gloves (for use under ski gloves) that are similar in feel and warmth to the Camaro blacktech wet suit. You'll have to have the next size bigger ski gloves, but the hands stay surprisingly warm with little reduction in the functions of the hands.

• Baller

For those of you that are suggesting normal 4/3 wetsuits like O’Neill Epic and similar.

Have you ever tried a more expensive one. The O’Neill technobutter neoprene found in Hyperfrak and Pshyco suits is another game. They are so much more flexible and warmer.

I will never buy a cheap wetsuit for colder weather unless it has Technobutter or similar from other brands.

And also +1 on chest zip for less leakage.

• Baller

@tbarile the psycho tech need to be tight and the material is very stretchy so I don't feel any restrictions in my mobility but of course I am not running my pb.

It takes time to put it on and to tak it off but when it is on.....I feel great, warm and ready to go, no mobility problems at all.

• Baller

I've had my Camaro Blacktec down to 38F water before and been surprised at the performance. That said, it's worn out after just a few seasons. It wears at the front of the arm pits where it rubs on your vest/across your chest on your offside wake crossings. Such a shame it wears so fast because it's incredible in every other way.

I've heard good things about higher-end Xcel suits. Buddy of mine has a no-zip shorty Xcel and loves it. Any other reviews?

• Baller
I have an xcel Axis 5/4. This is a no frills entry level wetsuit. I think its the cheapest one they offer. It's super warm, as in too warm. i've never been cold in it, even in 33 degree water. But you are sweating in it by the time the water is in tge 40's. 5mm is a lot of rubber, but the suit is super soft and flexible, and i do not feel restricted in it. I also woudn't think twice about throwing it on the floor, dragging it across the pavement, it's not a fragile neoprene. I'd buy it again but in a 4/3mm. 5/4 is just overkill.

• Baller

I have busted out the Pyscho-Tech 4/3 rear zipper and the boy is using his Hyperfreak 3/2 front zipper. Both are awesome; I get a little flush on the falls and would consider a front zipper next. But the rear zipper is easy to get into and I really like the suit. I also have a 4/3 O'Neill Heat that is really warm, just not quite as flexible (but not bad at all).

When it gets colder I'll bust out the psycho tech hood and try and figure out warmer solution for my hands. Hands and feet are my limiting factor for cold and they give out long before the 4/3 otherwise get too cold.

• Baller
Just go an O’Neill Impact 4/3 for cold water swimming. If it works as well as the Impact 2 ml shorty it’s gonna be good for skiing too, down into the low 50’s. Also got the O’Neill 2ml beanie and Thermo X shorts and shirt to layer under the suits.

Try wetsuit warehouse, they have high tech suits, and sales all the time. I picked up a Quicksilver, 4:3, it is neoprene, so stretchy, doesn't affect skiing at all, and has a chest and back thermal patch, and glued and blind stich seams, and a flap behind the back zipper, all so less water gets in, and warmer with thermal patches. Best suit I ever owed. I think I paid about $150. Love it.