Measure your ropes

Horton

• Baller
I use a 100' aluminum Stanley tape as the plastic ones tend to stretch or shrink and on the back (blank) side I put the actual and tolerance marks and it makes it really quick to measure at each loop without ever having to remember dimensions or tolerances.

• Baller
I am not a TC, but I have measured every rope I've ever owned at least twice. The first time is before I use it to see if it is usable. The second time is after I've skied it three or four times to be sure it is still in tolerance. Most ropes will stretch 1-2 cm's in the first few uses. Most are a touch short pre-use and closer to actual post use. After the first few uses they don't change much except for temperature changes. Hotter = slightly longer. Cooler = slightly shorter. 1-2 cm change due to temperature is not unusual or bad. Measuring slalom ropes, like dave2ball said above, is easy; but it's not cheap - it's free. Using your trailer hitch ball, a metric tape, a C clamp, a small pulley, an S hook, and 44 lbs. of weights one person can do it alone, easily, and accurately.

Measured a lot of ropes. The rachet ropes from home depot are great for pulling tension with a fish scale. Pull to 44 lbs and push down on the rope a few times it will drop down a bit and re-tension. A fellow TC built us some nice cables to accommodate for the handle length.

• Baller
Probably the biggest problem I see with rope lengths are when ropes are pulled apart for some reason. If there’s ever a chance to get sections from two or more ropes mixed together, it can cause issues. Always a good idea to have some simple process like this to make sure things are right.

• Baller
Are the ropes at Regional and Nationals stretched(skied a few times) before being used? Having bought a couple of the new stretch ropes, including the last ML2.0, I would not want to be the first skier out on a brand new rope! Not criticizing the manufacturer!

• Baller
I must admit that I have no personal experience with fish scales, and I know that TC's use them. I truly hope they are accurate and don't deteriorate with age and use. However, why take that chance when you can use actual weights just as easily. As to ropes stretching 4" after use, I've never had one stretch that much; and I've measured dozens and dozens. I used to record each rope's measurements at each line length new and again after use. I stopped the record keeping after while as it serves no purpose for me. So I am going from memory on the 2 cm stretch. I would question the quality of a rope that stretches 4" (10 cm) at 38 off. Does a rope that stretches 4" and then holds feel lifeless to the skier? We have +/- 7.5 cm tolerance at the shorter line lengths. A rope that stretched 10 cm had to start out 2.5 cm (or more) short or it would be flirting with tolerance limits.

• Baller
Since i started using intow ropes for practice and tournament they have always been dead on. I don’t bother any more measuring my personal ropes. But for tournament, you should have someone ski them before use and measuring. Often I personally run 15-39 one or two sets, then measure.