Re-power?

Ski2000

• Baller

My 2000 Ski Nautique has the 5.0 PCM with PP stargazer 9.2. It runs well but as I progress in my skiing it is becoming noticeable on how it won’t quite pick me up always when I’m skiing well. My buddies 5.7 does great and that is more appealing (easier to sell my wife on) than a 409 conversion.

Will I be regretting this decision in a couple years, and what is a zero off capable engine set up going to cost.

• Baller

Was curious, as a buddy had a quote for new motor for 03ish 196 and it was 4500$ I think. However it already had the 5.7/5.8 so they were likely re using a lot of stuff.

How long do you plan to have the boat? I’d want to think at least 5 years, likely longer to make it worth a re power.

Is everything else good on the boat?

Otherwise I’d look for something with the bigger motor in it already.

If new motor is the plan, I would for sure get a line by line sheet for everything up to zbox vs a ZO motor solution.

You would have better shot for resale w ZO as long as done by good shop and ran for a few years successfully after....

Great hull and so a solid motor could make it a “forever boat”....

• Baller

Been free skiing for 5 years and I got into the course a little last year. Boat is in great shape with a new interior. I’d like to keep it for a long time. I regularly ride behind a 2001 19 skier and a 2016 prostar. My boat is be far the best tracking and has as good if not better wakes at 30 mph or faster. I’m leaning twa keeping my eyes open for ZO reman but the the rising prices to do that are amazing.

• Baller_

To try and repower with a new 5.7 is more costly then a 6 liter.

Would not call a re power a bandaid as a older repowered ski boat is still cheaper to do in most cases then a zo powered unknown condition used e control boat.

Unless the boat your trying g to repower was a turd back in the day... its still going to be a turd!

• Baller

Here we are a year later. Just ordered my 6.0 409. I’m going to be 15k plus incidentals and doing the swap with some buddies.

I’ll post some photos of how it goes. With the price of zero off boats still high and the shape my 2000 ski is in I can run this one for a long time and still be $ ahead. Plus I’ll have a 0 hr drive train with new controls it will feel like a new boat. I won’t have to worry about how the last owner took care of the first 1600 hrs on it.

• Baller_

Be advised currently there is a 12 week lead time to receive an engine from pleasurecraft.

Just ordered a non cat 409 for a Hydrodyne.

So if one is considering a repower engine better get your order in if you want it in the boat and done before spring.

• Baller

Number 10 repower this year just finished it this afternoon along with a new rudder and port new steering cable tilt and back mount helm. Updated to zero off to single ECI puck. 3 more to do have one engine here and 2 more on there way

• Baller_

9cif5dgkipvq.jpg

I have not had to shim the bottom of the engine boxes on bubble but or 196 nautiques to make a 6.0 fit. I either omit the engine cowling or trim it right at the separation line that covers the flame arrestor.

I also arbitrarily remove the belt cover as within a few hours it will degrade and crack making an unsightly mess and sometimes a racket.