Shin pain?

JJSKI

I just started skiing shorter line length moved from 15’ to 22’. After I ski my muscle right next to my shin bone really hurts. Anyone know what could cause this? I’m wondering if it’s binding placement putting too much strain or just my technique of skiing. Hoping experienced skiers may have the answer. (It’s my rear leg shin. Also my rear leg thigh muscle more sore).

• Baller
@JJSKI You are not alone with this issue. It feels like a nasty shin splint and I'm betting it is your back leg? It's a technique issue - it may be caused by forcing the on-side turn rather than releasing the handle and casting outbound and letting the ski carve through the turn. I don't have direct cause and effect to support this but have found it to be fairly common that we slam the on-side turn with the back foot even when we don;t need to...a bit of ice and advil will help the healing process.

• Supporting Member

First I've heard of that in slalom, but shin splints are common for track athletes.

The first line of defense is to walk around on your heels to strengthen the shin side and lengthen the calf side.

Also, aggressive massage of any tight spots in the calf (not the shin) can make a huge difference.

I had only been on this new ski for about a month. Evidently I hadn’t dialed it in completely. I moved the back binding back one hole and it not only helped tremendously with the shin pain, it made the ski come around better onside and offside turns. Yay