Driving Fail

Clydesdale

• Baller
Anyone familiar with the video going around social media of the boat that got caught up on the slalom course? It appears the driver goes directly over a boat guide early in the course. The boat snags on the course and does a nosedive for the bottom. Looks like the boat almost sinks as it limps off to the side. I cant find the video now but it's pretty spectacular. Where and how did this happen? Hopefully no one seriously injured. I bet they wish they had airbags....

• Baller
I’m skeptical reverse would do something like that. Looks more like he caught a cable with a 2000lb cement block on the other end. Anyone hurt? Anything we can learn from this? I mean obviously drivers should go down the center of the course, but did the construction of the course somehow contribute? We ski a public lake, and the course is “mine”. random tubers and boaters go straight over buoys quite often.

• Administrators
I know exactly what happened. It was a father and son. The father was teaching the son to drive. The boat came into course off center and the son panicked and dropped the boat from slalom speed to full reverse.

• Baller

I absolutely can tell you the boat went into full reverse.

I got a rope shot into the boat and around my neck this summer. Perfect end course view of the whole thing. The following few steps happens in about 3 seconds after the skier shot the rope. I first dropped the boat into neutral and the bow dropped a few inches. I dropped it into reverse will still going about 30mph and the bow dropped a few more inches. I then throttled in reverse and turned the boat into a submarine. No one hurt and the boat was fine, other than wet.

It was semi panic, but I wanted to stop the boat at all costs. I also though the boat had slowed down to 10-15mph or so and reverse would be ok. I misjudged that.

• Baller
I had a similar experience that @bishop8950 described. Slack rope looped over my head, I put the boat in neutral, put both arms up to keep rope from strangling me, rope caught the throttle and the tug from the handle put the boat in full reverse. In an instant a foot high wave of water went over the windshield and all but about 6 inches of the boat was above water. I never felt the rope tug on my arms or neck because the throttle took the hit. A shock tube probably could have prevented the ordeal.

• Baller
I was passenger in a boat when a skier went down coming out of the ball. Rope sling shot and wrapped around drivers neck and chest and managed to catch the throttle as well. Boat went into reverse and the transmission broke instantly. Boat didn’t have a chance to do anything crazy. Never could talk those guys into a shock tube.

• Baller

Ur shitting me...who throws a full reverse from slalom speed? (I get it for the guys with a slalom noose around their neck to some degree). I've had a rope around my neck, too, but just pulled neutral and grabbed the rope. It pulls but it's a handle in the water from a decelerating boat at that point...not that strong. There is also a short tension delay cuz if they shot it that hard, then the handle landed somewhere near the boat so slack until you run out the loose line.

Yes...shock tubes for all. I've had no issue ever since, even with the Masterline mini shock tubes which are super user friendly.

That video is crazy. Hope the driver is ok.

• Baller_

@Clydesdale, if I recall correctly, the MasterCraft video was supposed to be a power turn in a water ski show. But, I think there were some wakes from another boat in the show that surprised the driver and he tried to adjust the intended power slide, but dunked the boat. You can see him frantically working on the wheel to fix the issue.

I think that the boat actually bounced off the bottom of the lake, too. Otherwise, it might have gone deeper.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

From Facebook Waterski Hub

Matt Banning: "The boat shop found red buoy fragments imbedded in the front of the rudder. That is also what the insurance claim said. Watch the red boat guide shoot out to passenger side of the boat. When it came back it lodged between the prop and rudder just long enough to cause the front to go down. The red buouy was also still in the lake and course after it was over. One in a million deal."

So which is it?? @Horton

• Baller
I was at that waterski show featuring "The Submarine" and I knew the driver. He was attempting a power turn. They were able to pump out the water and get it on the trailer, and apparently it checked out OK. I remember seeing that first video awhile back, brings chills watching it. I was nervous teaching my kids to drive through the course. Also I definitely need to put my shock tube on as well! I fell a few years ago at -22/34 mph and the rope wrapped around the driver, freaked us both out. This sport can be dangerous sometimes.