Talking water skiing with a teenager

Hallpass

• Baller

My daughter is 13. I'm used to one-syllable, mumbling responses. How was school? Ok. How's your burger? Good. What did you do today? School.

Talking to my daughter about water skiing: How was it? Oh my god, Dad. Did you see my 32 mile an hour pass? I totally thought I was going to miss it. I had a really weird pullout and I was late. That caused a bad gate and I totally thought I was going to miss at one. But, I got there and cranked off a really hard turn, and I was actually kind of early at two. Then I came around two and got back on my tail a bit. I thought I was going to crash, but I made it around three and, actually, four was pretty good. I don't know what happened at five, I got late and I think I might have hit the ball. That totally threw me off, and when I went around six I could hardly turn. I didn't think I would make it out the gate. I had to kind of hop on my ski to stay inside. That wasn't easy but I made it.

Me: Great

• Baller
That was always one of the best things about skiing with my son. We had lots of great conversations about what he was doing, how it was going and we could compare notes about how we were doing and what we were working on. It is just another example of what a great family sport water skiing is.

• Baller
@Hallpass . Dude, thanks for the flashback. Loved those days. It only gets better, used to ask her how the ski was feeling, any adjustments? IDK.........then one day "Dad, can you take a little tip out of the ski". Then one day she beats me at a tournament, straight up with no handicap.............AHHHHHHHHHHHH...

• Baller

Ha Ha @luzz. Kids seem to remember every detail when its something they want to do, or when you promise to buy them something. But ask them what went wrong, or why they didn't take out the trash -not so much.

Sounds like many of you had similar experiences with your kid's excitement at tournaments. Makes it fun. Enjoy.