Apocalyptic Home Gym Ideas

Horton

• Administrators

So I live in California where Gyms are closed and even if they were open I am also now a homeschool dad. (No not a distance learning dad - A legit old-school home-school dad. ) What this means is that even if a gym was open I always have a 6 yr old in tow.

Clearly, if money was no object I would simply buy all the racks and free weights. So On-line, I am bombarded by ads for pulleys, bands, bows, kettle bells, adjustable dumb bells, and lord knows what. I have space outside….what do I need?

Also stuff like this is a scam? https://www.jaquishbiomedical.com/x3-bar/

Go!

• Baller
Use what ya got, body weight stuff, lots out there. Sit ups, push ups, chin/pull ups, tricep dips, gets some plates or dumb bells, throw in some yoga moves and some stretching and you'll chew up an hour fast! Cardio will wear down the love handles too, stationary bike or low end BowFlex Max. It doesn't happen overnight though. Ditching the booze and ice cream is next level stuff, how far do you want to go?

• Baller

According to my wife, you need all this stuff ;)

But seriously, a pullup bar and body weight is plenty to start. Get a yoga mat and start doing some online stuff. Couple of cheap yoga blocks work well for doing deeper pushups with. Add in anything that makes sense for your budget/space. We have all this stuff because my wife is a yoga/pilates/personal trainer. Ignore that guy who says to get rid of booze and ice cream, that is just crazy talk. FWIW - I don't do weights any bigger than dumb bells.

mq1swdln0ra3.jpg

x9lethu1ewhn.jpg

• Baller

You really need a set of stall bars to get full use out of the TRX stuff, unless you have just the right tree in the back yard.

I don't recall who made these, but they are a TRX style setup that my wife uses on her stall bars - which were also modified by me to function as a pilates wall.

Edit - they are TruFit Unit 2.0. I got them as a prize a few years ago

https://gettrufit.com/ols/products/trufit-universal-trainer

e6bmdh730mo3.jpg

• Baller

You can do everything you need with a basic cage, bar, weights for the bar, and a flat bench. I am bouncing back and forth between just buying a cage and making one out of some raw cut 6x6 posts I have left over from another project and some 2x10s around the top and drilling holes for J-hooks and safety bars. Squats, deadlifts, overheard press, pull ups, bench, and rows are the basic movements you need to train; everything else is gravy or fluff. Ok dips are nice as well.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/d/kent-full-cage-power-rack-inspire/7201971453.html

https://www.elitefts.com/elitefts-power-bar.html

https://www.roguefitness.com/j-3358-monster-lite-j-cups?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvCeidWl7AIVVR6tBh3nUgWXEAQYAyABEgL8HvD_BwE

I just went through this breakdown recently. We have a 18 month old and it is already difficult to get out, nevermind if the gyms were open. Having something that allows me to workout during his naps is very rewarding.

I turned one stall in my garage to a gym with the following:

Equipment I had:

Light weight dumbbells 3, 5, 8, 10

yoga ball

PT bands

12 kg kettle bell

8 kg kettle bell

I purchased:

Incline/Decline/flat/leg bench

Bowflex adjustable dumbbell set 50 lbs

(2) Kettlebell King Adjustable Competition Kettlebells (takes about 1-2 minutes to change weights, so have each one set a different weights) Really like the finish vs the other adjustable kettlebells

weight rack

Pull up bar

Pulley system that attaches to pull up bar

Set of loop resistance bands

Also downloaded fitbod app. Since the equipment I currently have is very limited...the app allows me to adjust the "gym equipment" and helps keep me from getting bored, it is also a way to make workouts easier, and holds me accountable.

• Baller
Also - not sure what it is like in CA, but around here you can typically find free/cheap home exercise equipment on craigslist (treadmills, bowflex, nordic trac, exercise bikes, ellipticals. Typically from people who are moving. Not always real high end stuff, but usable.

• Baller

Oh good topic. I have a TRX but I honestly hate doing it. I think it's effective but I don't like doing the workouts for whatever reason. Great solution though with many high points.

I did take August off of booze completely and lost 14 pounds, finally ran a PB pass (-32), and completely owned the next pass down (-28) and lowered my lipid panel quite a bit, YMMV.

For cardio you cannot beat a C2 Rower. They are not super cheap but you can always sell them for nearly what you paid new. Very in-demand item and I love it. Takes real technique to do right which makes it even more fun.

For cheap cardio you cannot beat the "devil's tricycle" AKA the old Schwinn Airdyne. Now rebranded and relaunched by various Crossfit-oriented brands as a trendy "Assault bike" the old-school yard-sale version will destroy you just as readily and can be found for cheap at grandma's garage sale. I love doing interval stuff on it vs. just grinding away on it of course. This machine will break you AND has a very small footprint which is nice.

For weights, a 35lb and 53lb kettlebell is plenty, something like Pavel's "Simple and Sinister" method of swings and TGUs is all you need there.

PU bar of course, lots of good options from Rogue on those.

Agreed on all the body weight exercise comments as well. Push ups, pull ups, burpees. Even those work-to-100-pull-ups or 100 burpee or whatever programs are solid.

• Baller

There are a lot of options/configurations to a home gym. What you need/want might depend on the type of approach you want to take. In my opinion there are two “weighs” of lifting/exercising. Old school (BodyBeast) and new school (LIIFT4): old school being all about how much weight you are moving for a set number of reps and new school being “time under tension” (which is a predetermined amount of time you do the activity). Excellent results can be had from both types of workouts and doing a hybrid of the two also works wonders. No matter what type of workouts you do I would suggest this: pull up bar and a flat wall for various things like wall squats plus a reasonable and level floor (NOT concrete), rubber flooring or a court floor to absorb shock.

My workout history started 10 years ago and we started with bands and push-up stands. That progressed into the pull-up bar and a couple weights (5lb and 10lb). Along the way we got medicine balls and stability ball for P90X2. When we started BodyBeast we had to up our weight selection a bit - so now I have dumbbells going from 5lbs up to 40lbs. Bench pressing with 40lb dumbbells isn’t tremendously taxing but combine that with super and giant sets and it will be plenty of weight.

Dunham’s often has a great sale on dumbbells and that gave us the option of getting weights as we needed them versus a whole bunch of plates etc that you may or may not use based on type of workout and commitment level.

• Baller
+1 for a TRX. There are a ton of mobility exercises which have significantly helped my back, shoulders and hips which you can do in addition to functional strength and core. These workouts have helped at ton for waterskiing and cross country skiing. There are lots of youtube TRX workouts to follow along with. I also like the P90X programs, P90X3 has short high intensity workouts with minimal equipment and can be done in small spaces.

• Baller
Start with "what are your goals" or what do you hope to achieve. I would vote for free weights. You can't go wrong with strength training. You could start with dumbbells and a bench. With the appropriate amount of weight there isn't much you couldn't do. As far as your link goes I wouldn't call it a scam but do realize that guy didn't build that body with that.

• Baller

Back in March after my gym closed down I built this unit for my backyard. I can do squats, deadlifts, pull ups, chin ups and all kinds of other exercises using the rings ($60), bands and dumb bells. It took awhile but I finally have a bunch of weight plates for the bar. Total investment is less than $400.00. I've also discovered that it's way better working out outside, something about fresh air and sun, kind ofiel07moixg8r.jpg

like another activity we're all into (minus the water).

• Baller

khmp36xm3g9m.jpeg

I might be old school using free weights but it’s hard to go wrong with a squat rack (with pull up bar), bench and some free weights.

I have a bunch of kettle bells as well and they are a great tool that delivers strength and cardio. But I’m lazy though and only do kettlebells once a week (they kick my butt!). If I was limited on space kettlebells would be my one and only device.

TRX is great if it’s all you have but no way would I want that to be my solo item.

Best part of a home gym, beside being at home and no monthly fee- you can workout barefoot :) No better way to increase you foot connection to the ground than going barefoot with weighted load. Haven’t lifted with shoes in over 5 years!

• Baller
+1 for prioritizing your foundational strength training: squats, deadlifts, overhead press, row, bench. Bonus pullups and dips. Double bonus yoga for mobility/flexibility for injury prevention - I've been doing the DDPYoga app and am a big fan

• Baller

@6balls is right and is why in a non COVID world you can pick up home gym equipment for pennies on the dollar as people buy it, don’t use it and just want it gone! Still can today it’s just tougher as gym rats are picking it up since they can’t hit the gym.

Save for the TRX and treadmill I have had all this equipment for ~15 years. You don’t need the crazy Rouge stuff. It’s awesome and nice but overkill for a home gym (will last forever though and it holds its value well if you do sell it).

• Baller
Just a tip on the treadmills, we have worn out 5 of them before moving to the zero runner (bad knees on both of us from years of running). The cheap ones don't hold up to 185lbs running on them for long if you are doing many miles. For my wife, anything can survive long term - but if you are a bigger guy look for a commercial quality unit. The last one we had was an extended deck Nordic Trac, which is also nice if you are taller/longer stride. We bought that one when my 6ft 2 kid was running track.

• Baller

Curious to know what you folks think about rowing machines or seated cable rows for working out? I haven’t gotten on a row machine in sometime, but the muscles engaged (legs, back, shoulders, arms) are all skiing muscles. Not to mention the cardio benefit from towing.

Thoughts?

• Baller

@oneski call me sometime. You know I coach rowing right? I will give you all the info you need. @6balls don't get me started.

@Horton you are not doing @MarcusBrown program?

This past spring I started running (rowing club was closed) along with squat, bench press, overhead press and barbell row with some core thrown in. I like to keep it simple. Best start to the season I have had in years and I think it payed off long term. Starting back up in a few weeks.

• Baller

@Horton fell into a similar boat being a forever member to 24hr Fit but gave up waiting. I've been a gym rat for a long time. I'm not the fittest guy - I simply work out to drink beer or just kinda maintain. I gear my workouts towards skiing. I just recently purchased a functional trainer. I like these machines because I can work any muscle groups and with many different exercises (doesn't get boring). I like cable cross over machines because (1) I don't need a spotter (2) it's easy on my joints with smooth action. I bought an adjustable bench to go with this machine that is incline/flat/decline adjustable. I love this machine! Cost around $2.5k on Amazon.

07r47a6iok4j.jpg

• Baller
You can't beat a TRX, resistance bands, battle ropes, a few free weights and a bench. I've had a PT for at least 3 years now and that's pretty much all we use. It's increased my core strength and flexibility hugely and kept my fitness up during lockdown

@Murrski Was looking at the functional trainer as well, as I spend 50% of my time at the gym on one. Reason I went a different path was how permanent they are and their size.

Although I could see my wife approving it for a vest, wetsuit, towel hanger >:)

@Kwoody51 kettlebells are the best. I still am amazed how nice the adjustable competition kettlebells work...and how little space they take.

• Baller
I have been a home gym guy for about a decade now, tried lots of things. Home made stuff, purchased racks/benches, TRX, sandbags, kettlebells, etc. My advice: Talk to Jenny Labaw, she has helped me prioritize what I need and her workouts have helped me a ton. I am lifting less weight than I used to, using less big equipment and feel much stronger.

• Baller

@horton Lots of very good advice and options listed above.

@6balls has a very valid point "if you don't like it, you won't do it"

I will also ask the question how good are you at developing and adhering to a routine? For some it is easy, others not so much. Throw in a 6yr old and home schooling and it can be quite the obstacle. You can have all the greatest equipment the USA has to offer, but if you can't find a good routine your investment will eventually collect dust or end up being a close drying rack. Figure out what a typical day is going to look like for you and your daughter and then build around that. Exercise in the morning? lunch/recess break? after she's in bed? Ask yourself how much time can I realistically dedicate to exercise? 1 hr a day? 3 days/week? 5 days? Build your routine around the answers to those questions, and then be consistent and stay the course.

It takes the average human ~21 days to change a habit or routine. If you want to test this, go move the steering wheel up or down in your car before you drive. You will be thinking how the hell can I drive like this. But after a few days it becomes more natural and after a few weeks, you don't even notice the change. Then move it back to its original spot and the whole process starts over. We are creatures of habit. Make exercise a habit and then do the exercises that you enjoy while producing the results you want!

• Baller

Agree with @6balls, you gotta find something you'll stick with. This works for me.

1. Basic cage with a bench. Mine actually has a dip station/pull up on it as well.

2. 300 pound Olympic barbell weight set. Plus a few dumbells.

3. Concept2 model D. @MattP , that's really cool you coach rowing!!

The Concept2 rowing machine was the best piece of fitness equipment I ever purchased (actually have two of them, plus their skierg). I don't think most people are built for running long term. I've had my Concept2 for over a decade. There's almost zero maintenance, and almost nothing to break on it. And they cost around $900 brand new. I don't think you can get a decent treadmill for $900. Much less one that is built to be abused by gyms and national level teams like the Concept2.

• Baller
Put Buford Danger in a small inflatable boat, tie it to yourself for extra drag, and swim the length of your lake, more than once. You will be in shape. Ski handles on a pull up bar are just like TRX bands but maybe not as full featured for everything that you want to do, but handles make a great way to find out. Get some bow flex adjustable dumbbells to add in and maybe get on a bike and I am sure that you will be in good shape.

• Baller

@tjs1295 and @MattP it's great to see other rowers here. I started with my Concept2 rowing machine three years ago and have just passed 5 million meters. It's a great aerobic workout that uses 85% of your muscles with low impact. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a home fitness machine. Reasonable cost and built to last.

Rowing coupled with my new home pull up bar and pushups has me in the best shape of my life at age 55.

• Baller
When I was in high school I couldn't afford to buy a weight set so I used Hilex chlorine bottles filled with either water or sand to work out with. If I needed to do a barbell like execise I used a length of old metal 1" water pipe that was taken out of an old well we had on the farm. I adjusted the weight by adding or subtracting how many bottles I hung on the pipe.

• Baller

@skimtb

48,32 and 24kg are the kettlebells weights I use every week.

I have lighter ones but don’t use often. 20kg is a nice weight to start with.

My primary lifts are

Swings, snatch, figure 8’s, crush curls, single leg dead lifts, single arm clean, bottoms up presses.

48kg - only for swings, can’t use that beast for anything else!

32 kg - use this weight the most and is for all lifts other than swing and bottom up presses. Will sometimes use for single arm swings.

24kg - use for bottom up presses.

• Baller

Odd coincidence, but anyone in MN want a free weight bench, bars and weights? Was over at the lake place helping my folks get the docks and boats put away and my dad said he wanted to get rid of this stuff since he had just ordered a bunch of new equipment. Nothing fancy and it all needs to be cleaned since it has been sitting in the boathouse. Old DP plastic sand filled weights. Stuff is currently in Victoria in the back of my truck

yzxc76k1lsj2.jpg

• Baller

Some ideas for you, Horton. The peg board, baseball pull-up grips, plyo box and dumbbell rack were DIY.

The smart trainer automatically adjusts your resistance to follow a GPS route of your choosing. You can bike anywhere in the world without leaving home. Not as fun as getting outside, but I’m in the same boat as you with a few little ones in tow...

There is room in the middle for skipping rope, stretching, yoga, etc. The top TV swivels out so my wife can do her yoga/workout videos.

ztgh9ztgwfvu.jpeg

10mqnss2vmat.jpeg

6ik0bowv2ryj.jpeg

ia0drt2mwrxp.jpeg