Service life of boots

Cnewbert

• Baller

What would be a reasonable expectation for the service life of a front boot? I bought some Radar Vector Boa boots a year ago in the middle of June, so they are a few months over a year old. Today the BOA adjuster on my front boot tore free of the boot fabric as I was tightening it for my first run, and is not repairable. I’m just a 32mph intermediate free skier and a lightweight, so it’s not like I put a lot of stress on my bindings, and I never tighten them excessively, preferring to come out of the binding should I crash. In fact, the boot looks otherwise in perfect shape — not battered, bruised or misused in any way. While I love the boot for comfort, I’m very dismayed it would fail so soon. But as a relatively newer skier, maybe I expect too much perhaps? Should a boot normally last longer for a recreational skier or is this a typical service life?

fnx4kzxyn7w3.jpeg

• Baller
@ski6jones l did contact the retailer but they were vague and not sure Radar will replace it given it’s over a year old. Truth is, I’m not overly concerned whether they will or not. I’ll just buy a new boot if Radar refuses. I don’t want to miss any more skiing while they consider the issue. The reason for my post is really to learn whether or not a boot failing in just a bit over a year is typical, especially for someone who is not an aggressive, power skier. If this is normal, I’ll accept the fact. But if I should be getting 2, 3 maybe 4 years out of a front boot, maybe I need to look for another more durable brand. That’s what I hope to learn here.

• Baller

Im on 2-12 years on my carbitex bindings and other than new cables the boots are in great shape. I’m good for a few yard sales a year skiing 4 times a week from may through September.

Hope you just got a bad boot. Love my radar boots

• Baller

I don't think he is trying to complain but understand if this is normal or what expectations should be.

I have been on the same pair of bindings for 2 years. Had to replace the lace and lace adjuster thing (pull type from HO). They may last one more year but that will be pushing it skiing 3 days a week for 6 months.

• Baller_

I’ve been on Fogman bindings since around 2002 and I think I’m on my fourth pair of boots, but I’ve gone through many sets of liners and replaced lots of buckles.

Going through gear is the cost of doing business. If durability is important, stick with rubber. It’s pretty hard (but not impossible) to wear out a Wiley.

Lpskier

• Baller
I've been on the same T-Factors for so long that I've forgotten. I sure at least 7 years. Granted I don't ski as much as most people, average about 50-60 ski days per year. But I think age is as much of a failure factor as "mileage". Replaced laces.

• Baller

@vtmecheng yes, you got my intent exactly right. Thank you.

@Horton thanks for the link. If I read that when it was originally posted, I’d honestly forgotten about it. I don’t ever mean to break the rules and I’m not convinced I did exactly. Anyhow, I’m here to learn and all I really wanted to know was what is normal. I haven’t been in the sport long enough to know for myself. However, I can see where my intent could have been misunderstood and realize now I should have been more general in my wording and less specific. For the record, least I give the wrong impression, I am a big Radar fan and all our gear except vests and rope... skis, bindings, gloves, handle and ski bags, is Radar. I love my Lithium Vapor and my wife’s new Butterknife has changed her life. (Owing to a history of serious sports injuries including a broken back, shoulder and pelvis from a horseback accident and two wrecked knees from an alpine skiing crash, she was very reluctant to try water skiing ever. But she decided to give it a go once we got our new boat, so I bought her a Butterknife. The ski has given her so much confidence she’s now totally addicted and wants to ski every day!)

• Baller

Just a follow up: at his request, an hour ago I emailed @brooks. In a matter of mere minutes after sending the email, Brooks got back to me telling me first and foremost that he didn’t view my post as a complaint, but rather a reasonable question and that, secondly, indeed I should have gotten several more seasons out of the boot. He did point out an important fact: that is, the materials used to maximize boot comfort are not as likely to last as long as plain old rubber. Good point and there is no question these boots are amazingly comfortable. It’s a compromise I am happy to make as I highly value comfort. The bottom line is that Brooks is sending me a new boot.

A company that stands behind its products like Radar has proven to me it does, and responds so quickly to a problem, will always have my confidence, loyalty and support. I’m happy this episode has given me the opportunity to brag about Radar’s exemplary customer service. Thanks Brooks!

• Baller
I think the number of sets skied is more accurate indicator of wear than years skied. I replace my bindings (Goode Powershells on a Powerplate) around once every other ski season. This year I skied over 130 days (probably 200 sets). I could likely get part or whole of another season, but the plastic in the bindings becomes loose with fatigue, and invariable I start replacing metal parts/screws/ fasteners/interlock tape. (Which is not good if it’s at or right before a tournament).

• Baller
Tough to beat RADAR co. Glad to hear it worked out so well. I ski the exact same binding(double boot), and could not be more happy with them. Plus I am doing my part to keep the "binding lube" products in business as they are still snug when putting them on

• Baller

@rbuss4 I recently switched from double Vectors to a Radar HRT. Very much liking it!

BTW, I think Brooks may have even upgraded me on my replacement front Vector. The new one is Carbitex, unless all Vectors are Carbitex now. Either way, Radar is tops!

• Baller
@Cnewbert; I purchased a HRT that matches the double boots late summer this year, but have not tried yet. I was hoping it would work so that I could "shore start" as I did for 10+ years prior to going double boot, and keep me out of the deep water starts. I upgraded from a '18 SENATE Graphite to a '19 SENATE Pro Build for my last run of the year. Maybe try the BOA HRT for shore start next year. :)

• Baller
@rbuss4 I think there’s a good chance you’ll like the way it skis, though I start with both feet in for my deep water starts just like a double boot. But some report they do use it as a kicker, though you may need to loosen the laces a bit more than I like in order to get your foot in easily once up.

• Baller
@BraceMaker -- if only I was not in the XL already. I am hoping the BOA system allows me to loosen it up all the way, and then just have to tighten the dial once I slide my foot in. My two boys ski the HRT on their Vapor Lithium; one deep water starts with his foot in the HRT, and one gets up with his back foot out. It's been over a decade since I hopped onto my ski "shore-starting" so I am not sure my 51 year old body will be effective doing it anymore. Again- I sure love the option and flexibility Radar provides with this HRT rear binding as well as the BOA system.