When’s enough enough

prk

After suffering significant injuries the last two seasons I am now wrestling with the question when’s enough enough wondering if anyone else has laboured over this and how they came to terms with it ( oh ya I’m an old guy 60 plus)

• Baller

I have had my share of those internal discussions. I always come back to telling myself when I am 80, I will wish that I had skied a few more passes when I could.... injuries aside. I am 61.

In a couple weeks I am having a third surgery on my left wrist and this time the little finger release. The plan is to come out in Spring in better shape and stronger than this year!

My Dad is 89 and took 3-years off of his life to take care of my Mom. He is finally getting back on the horse and has been golfing twice a week and sometimes squeezing an extra round in with me here and there this summer. I would sign his deal today to golf when I am 89.

I just came back from a funeral service for a 64 year old.

Do what you can while you can!

• Baller
Started this sport when I was 38 and am now 64. Have broken numerous bones skiing and barefooting, put my arm through the handle twice and even broke my finger fixing a ski course (pure stupidity on my part). Still ski at 34 mph running 38 and still barefooting. Best definition of old age I have ever heard: "when your memories mean more to you than your dreams". @prk...KEEP DREAMING!!!

• Baller
I think you have to determine what is causing the injuries. For instance if the very act of skiiing is causing the issue, or if pushing your limits is causing the injuries. If I continually injured myself attempting PB’s I would stop trying to run those passes and just ski an easier line length over and over again. Skiing with your friends on a sunny day, course or not is still a lot of fun.

• Baller
I feel ya @prk. I've been there. I started water skiing at 4, started skiing in a slalom course at 17, started jumping at 18. I'm 62. Only thing I ever stopped was jumping (at 35 yo) because I had had enough serious injuries, but I loved it and still regret it. Have been injured A LOT from water skiing and snow skiing (more on water) and undergone a lot of repair and rehab since 1980. I think I love slalom (and alpine skiing and surfing) more than ever. Never felt much of a decline in physical capability until 50 and since then it's been a very slow decline but I battle it constantly. Honestly, one of the best and easiest things I've done to improve how I feel these past few years is to drink more water. Early last season I was really hurting from a combination of water skiing, heavy yard project work, swimming, lifting - just feeling like crap and weak. I went to a naturophathic doc that my wife sees and told her what was going on. She counseled me to drink 90 ounces+ a day (among other things). This really, really helped more than I could've imagined and I've been consistent with it since. Skied more sets this year than ever (essentially daily) and here it is Halloween and I'm not the least bit beat up/worn out. Hydration, good diet, stretching (yoga), breathing/meditation, and whatever form of cardio and muscle resistance you prefer kind of have to be the norm for daily life as we age if you want to keep at something like this sport. I think you are dealing with the toughest part of injury - the mental battle. It's always bleak at the start, but then you get the light at the end of the tunnel, and eventually work your way back to your sport. Sorry for you, man. Hang in there, get strong again, and get coaching to avoid whatever you were doing that likely caused the injuries. Don't stop.

• Baller
At our age when you stop it's over. At 60 years old I'll still ski for decades. Skiing helps me stay in shape 12 months a yr. We can't let ourselves go and get out of shape in the offseason. If it's still fun and you enjoy it, look for reasons to keep skiing, not for reasons to stop.

i appreceiate everyones commets i'm not looking for a pep talk more i'm intrested in how others have dealt with these adversities jimbrake is spot on it's more the mental side right now i'm trapped at home bored to tears shoot i can't even drive right now just looking for some insight

• Baller

Not a comp slalom skier. But, I do know that when you stop moving, bad things happen. I've had cervical fusion, thoracic spine surgery, and too many other injuries and surgeries to mention. Heart surgery last year, and cancer surgery this year. As soon as I can slalom ski again, I will. Bought myself a big fat Goode trick ski, mostly so I can do something side by side with my daughter who is comp skiing now. Whatever makes you happy, but I feel as though when you stop moving you expedite the slow march to death. I for one am not ready, no matter how much it hurts some days. My vote: keep going and do whatever you can do, brother.

• Baller
Don’t look at injuries and the likes as reasons to stop, only how to get past them so you can get back and get better. I’ve been skiing since age 5 and now at 64 I can say I’m SO blessed I’ve never had an injury . Had plenty of world class falls , but no injuries. Today still skiing 34 and don’t see slowing down. So look at your injuries or whatever is making you think about giving it up as simply tasks to get through to get you BACK, as I guarantee that if you quit you’ll feel much worse. I hope to ski til I die and my family has already been told when that happens just toast me up and sprinkle me in the lake.

• Baller
Age 75 still water skiing. Still biking. Nordic skiing. Rowing. You will need to find things you enjoy. Then go easy. As you age perhaps 95 per cent of the time needs to be easy as you build and then stay that way even when healed. Age requires recovery time often and consistently. You intensity can be useful but should be short. This advice comes from those coaching Olympians, world and national champions of broad ages. Hard for many to back off as needed as they age but it works.

• Members
My chiropractor finally fessed up and hit me with the truth: "You're weak." That pronouncement turned my life around. Since then I have built up my core strength with an emphasis on bird dogs, bridges, dumbbell dead lifts, and side star planks. The key was finding an effective core strength routine that didn't aggravate my back further. After a couple of years, it has made a world of difference. Now my chiropractor has my eternal gratitude but much less business.

• Baller
Having those internal and external discussions now. And not all waterski related. In fact, very little waterski related other than my neck issues from someone dragging me over an island. Most are cycling related. But in last 5 years have 1)double hernia surgery 2) shattered collarbone in 6 pieces 3) ruptured ACL 4) ruptured ATFL 5) had my big toe bone cut in two and repinned due to arthritis 6) had MRI friday for L5-S1 issue. Life was certainly easier before I turned 45. I've spent less time healthy than in rehab since then.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan . Sounds like @ForrestGump got everything I avoided. Yes extremely blessed no skiing injuries. Had some stitches and tears of other things from my extreme racquetball days but those were all during Winter when living in the frozen north so never impacted ski seasons . Hopefully at this age I’m smart enough to toss the handle if it’s not going well , or before I get too upside down . At least I try . Onward......

• Baller
+1 for what @TonyT said. I had an uncle, who played minor league baseball in his day. When he was in his early 80s, and still very active and fit, I asked him, "how do keep doing all this"? Answer: "Don't ever stop".

• Baller
I'm only 41 and since my spinal surgery I've had to dial back my expectations compared to what I used to be able to do. Does it stop me from skiing? Nope, Does it mean I can still wakeboard/ski for 3hrs in a day? Nope. I'm happy if I'm on the water staying ski fit and a set at the begining of the season and 3 sets/day by the end and I'm happy. If I can run the course, great, if I can't that day, not an issue.

• Baller
@zman I completely agree with the “don’t stop” motto. My brother stopped skiing for 8 years and then decided to go on his 50th bday. Almost tore his hammy completely off. He’s fit, runs, does yoga, but there’s something about skiing that’s hard on the body. He finally was able to get up this year at 55. It took a few hole shots, mostly mental block from the injury, but he made it.

• Baller

Getting old isn't the problem. If you can stay in shape and keep skiing, you should do it.

I find the problem is that a lot of my friend's are dropping out of other activities I enjoy. (Motorcycling, Target shooting, Racquetball), that I find myself not wanting to do as much of those by myself. Luckily, I have a good group of skier's still pushing the envelope.

Earlier this year I got hurt pretty bad in the course. I re-habbed as hard as I could because everyone else in our club was skiing. If I had just my wife pulling me I probably would have been lazy about the re-hab, but because my other "family" was out there every day, I couldn't wait to get back on the horse.

Surround yourself with like minded people in the discipline you love and you won't worry about your age.

• Baller

Not sure what type of skiing you usually do. Presuming you are a slalom ski/slalom course kind of skier, keep in mind it is still a heck of a lot of fun slapping on a pair of combos and going for a joy ride. It is also a heck of a lot easier on the body. It takes me back to how and why I got into this sport at the beginning.

I love this video. Mismatched combo skis, cheap rope, outboard ski boat, and an apparently pregnant wife driving. I'm sure the guy is hamming it up for the video, but nevertheless, he says what I think when I'm skiing.

Ski any way you are able.

• Baller
Depends to the ratio (of want to + stubbornness)/ pain and sacrifice. I believe Kris Lapoint has had 16+ operations some minor, some major and he is still skiing. Don’t think many of us have that commitment, I don’t think I would/could. I have had three; back L5/S1, shoulder and most recently hernia, and coming back is only harder as you get older.

• Baller
I feel your pain. I've lost the majority of a few seasons now due to work, injuries, local river being closed and wife losing interest (in skiing not me!). I had every intention to get a new boat and really enjoy this summer and rekindle my wife's enjoyment of the sport, but then I injured both shoulders rebuilding my deck. I mentally gave up and bought a sports car as a consolation. Going to continue to rehab and exercise, and let the chips fall in 2021.

• Baller
It's not a competition but since age of 34.....9 surgeries (including back vertebra fusion), missed 5 complete seasons, have spent a total of 7 yrs on crutches. Now 61 yrs old and skiing more and better than ever. It's never over nor enough. Believe it or not wife will still drive for me although she does keep bugging me about getting more life insurance.

• Baller
It really depends on what you're in a sport for. If it's a big social part of your life that you enjoy as much or more than the actual activity, then you can limp along forever. If you're goal is "mastery" (to whatever level each of us can achieve), then once you can no longer train to a level to allow pursuit of said mastery it's probably time to move to something else.

• Baller
I'm 67 and I had the most days/sets in our small group. I'm the oldest with the next being 9 years my junior. I don't ski that hard knowing one bad fall could be the end of it all. Saying that I still don't foresee ending anytime soon. Down the road I'll probably give up the course and just switch to freeskiing.

• Baller
Can you take a year off to think about it, and see how you feel? No matter what you do, you have to still work on your strength and cardio. Try something else for a year. Go back to skiing if you miss it. As long as you stay fit, starting up again shouldn't be that much harder than any other off season. It might even be easier depending on what you do instead.

• Baller
@tjs1295 Over the last 17 years I have had 3 injuries taking me off the water for about 8 months each. Each time returning in the springtime. Those months were filled with working with a PT early on, then many visits to the gym. Each time, getting back on the water and in the course was pretty easy physically. I'm just a mid-level M7 course skier.

• Baller

This thread - when old dudes continue to do something that is physically difficult and demanding. I love it. I was once told about some aging big wave surfers (talk about physically difficult and demanding) taking steroids just to stay in the game. Not worth it in the long run, but I admit at the time I thought "hmmmm".

In alpine skiing I like to think I still "charge". In reality, compared to the young bucks with strong rubber bodies, I do not, but I try. It's fun and gratifying to push kind of as hard as you can, but if you step back and look at yourself in the big picture, you're an old dude on an inevitable decline that ends with...stopping (fill in your own ending). I know I'm kidding myself when I work real hard to get better as if I'm a kid on an upward learning curve, but that is just part of slowing the decline and I prefer that to giving the F up. All we can do is endeavor to make the decline a looonnngggg, slllloooowww approach and have as much fun along the way as we can. Injuries are a temporary falling off of the approach, but you can get back on.

• Baller
@MDB1056 - I agree, we probably understand things better (I know I do), but physically learning and executing? Tell an older adult to "push your hips up", "connect to the handle", "stay connected through the edge change", and they will usually adjust (or try to) by an insufficient increment. Tell a kid and they just do it. Damn kids. Try to be like a kid in your old age learning - that's what I was getting at in my last post.

• Baller

I think there are two real things at play. 1) Our bodies do change with age. Sucks, but it is a reality we all must face. Further, to keep what we have takes more effort the older we get. Core strength and balance are critical to maintain what we have. 2) Change is scary. It is scary to try something new. Kids just do it. Adults analyze the instruction, debate if they trust it, then go out and only kind of try it. Muscle memory and habit takes over. The longer we have skied wrong, the harder it is to overcome and force change.

I just remind myself that progress can never happen without a change. Progress is simply changes in the desired direction.

• Baller
So I am 66+ with multiple injuries (snow and water) and to me, do not give up at all. I will run the course on jump skis if I can't get up on one some day. AND pay attention to your rehab therapies whatever they are-- i just went through a period of figuring that out with my Dr and less than 30 minutes a day has helped immensely. I had a goal this year to ski without using Ibuprofen at all (which i have used for decades I think) and I could do so most of this year. Had some back pain (duh) and now my new PT exercises have me back to my goal I think but it's getting cold.