Water skiing in mainstream movies

MISkier

• Baller_

I'm not sure if there was already a thread on this, but I was thinking about how many movies (regular cinema) may have featured water skiing, albeit with usually disastrous results. I know that "The Great Outdoors" is often mentioned and I'm sure someone will post that clip here, but it would be interesting to see just how often if occurs. Fonzie jumping the shark is excluded here, since that was television. And, non-mainstream movies like "Edged in Water" are also excluded.

I'll start with this clip in 1973 from "Superdad", starring Bob Crane.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

Jaws 2 has an impressive rough water slalom ride along with a good example of pattern driving. The ending is predictable.

Skier was Christine Freeman. Impressive resume (from IMDB) -

“Champion water skier Christine Freeman was born in 1952 in Springfield, Missouri. Freeman grew up in Thayer, Missouri. Christine first started skiing at age five and began her competitive water skiing career in 1964 at the age of twelve. Freeman was a strong three event skier who did tricks, jump, and shalom, with the latter category proving to be her specialty. Among her notable accomplishments as a competitive skier are winning eight Midwest Regional Overall Titles and fifteen medals won in seven National Championships. Moreover, Christine was the first woman skier from the Midwest region to be invited to participate in the prestigious Masters Tournament in Calloway Gardens; she competed in five Masters altogether prior to retiring from competitive skiing in 1973. In addition, Freeman competed in two California World Cup Internationals and was invited to the Moomba Masters in Australia. Christine was also the only female member of the North American team who competed in the 1969 Wills International in London, England, where she won the Women's Overall Title. In the wake of retiring from competitive skiing, Freeman went on to graduate Summa Cum Laude from William Jewell College with a BS degree in Nursing and earned her Master's Degree in Nursing from UCLA in 1979. She was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in 1995.”

• Like 1

• Baller_
@jeblanc, that clip is disqualified in the original post, as it was for television and not the movies. But, it is a classic and noteworthy, especially since Henry Winkler was a water ski instructor. His father told him to sell that skill to the shows creator and producers as a “value add”. He reluctantly did that and they eventually wrote it in to an episode.

• Baller_

Here is an obscure one, but an interesting scene, nonetheless.

Watch the guy sit on the back of the driver's seat (and stand) and continuously look back at the skier like a weekend Wally. His boat docking leaves something to be desired, too.

• Baller_

Here is one from 1953. Esther Williams in "Easy to Love". The title must be about water skiing, since the movie is set at Cypress Gardens.

Check out the ski sequence and helicopter stunt.

• Baller_

@Jody_Seal, some of those are on page one of this thread.

Happy Days is excluded because it is TV. And, if you are referring to the McHale's Navy TV show, then it is also excluded.

• Baller

After this thread came back it got me thinking about the Happy Days episode. I had to go back and watch the episode but Henry Winkler did all of the skiing except for the jump.

I found his comments about the beach landing pretty amusing.