Lost ski found on SIA

aupatking

• Baller
They have serial numbers...any chance he has the number on record and proof it's his? I must say showing up at someone's house to "purchase" known stolen items is sure a good time. It wasn't necessarily stolen at the time if they sincerely just found it, but depriving someone of their property (now that they now or will find out it's your brother's) certainly constitutes theft.

• Baller_
Who says “purpose built competitive waterski”. If it’s local to you, pose as a buyer and ask to see it. If there are any known defects that can’t be seen in the pic or your cousin has a record of purchase, you may even have a case to bring an officer with you. They can claim ignorance but not ownership.

• Baller

If the waters are navigable the "law of salvage" would require payment for the retrieval of lost cargo based on the value of the cargo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_salvage

If the waters are not navigable, it sounds like it might fall under the category of finders keepers losers weepers.

In any event, maybe a phone call and a nice ask before calling the cops and escalating the situation?

• Baller_
So, just thinking from the finders perspective, "I found this ski, how do I know the guy claiming to be the owner really is?" If in fact you have a receipt with serial number than maybe offer him a nice finder's fee. He could have just as easily kept it for his own use (if a skier) or given it to a friend. Not saying I support him selling your ski, just trying to look at both sides of the story.

• Baller
If I were to find a waterski in the lake or on my beach I would do everything I could to try and find the owner. Usually after a storm there are ads on facebook and we will get emails from the lake association when people find items that aren't theirs. Most slalom skiers love their skis, I'm just hoping the person who found the ski had no idea how much the ski means to the real owner and he gets his ski back.

• Baller

He text me this afternoon, said he spoke with the seller and they are getting together later this week to pick up his ski. I figured most, if not all, SIA visitors are also BOS guys. I wanted to do my best to make certain the ski wasn’t sold before he could get in contact with them.

Thank you guys for being a great community

• Baller
Lost a ski in the same fashion... looked for what seemed like hours. Went to the extent to post pictures of it at all the surrounding marinas, posted Facebook, Craigslist, the whole nine. Nothing. I still look for it online from time to time hoping one day it will miraculously appear 2 years later.

• Baller_
My wife lost her ski in the far corner of our lake last spring. Didn’t realize it until we got home and couldn’t find it though we looked until dark. Next morning it turned up five docks down from ours. Little bastard was trying to find his way home.

Lpskier

• Baller_

88-89 i lived in Puerto Rico. Had a portable course set up in a tru back water mangrove area on the south side of the island. In those days still a very remote area of the island. Mostly fishing villages and back woods islanders lived in the area.

One afternoon after Michele and I got done skiing we headed back to the trailer. Got back to our house and started the boat clean up process.

Hmmmmmm..... could not find my Connelly in the boat. We went back to try and locate the ski the next day....good luck, no bueno!

To this day I can just see some fisherman finding it and trying to figure out what it was and what it could be used for in his world..

• Baller
Lost a drop ski one summer night right at dusk. Looked all over the next day and many more after that, never found it that season. About 5 years later we found it at one of the neighbors garage sale, all beat up and faded, he didn't even charge us. Put a new binder on it, still using it occasionally.

• Baller
We lost a drop ski- old EP shortline. Found it almost 15 yrs later (2 yrs ago) sticking out of an overflowing dumpster at the boat launch. Still had the owners name felt penned beside the binding with his phone number which is still current.

• Baller
My brother crashed hard when I was a kid separating from his ski on a narrow reservoir site. A couple of guys in a Nautique grab it and take off. We let Dan swim to shore an it was "on" with myself and brothers Joe and Jim. It was in our "outboard" days and we were running a 70 mph boat. Suffice to say we got our ski back. Jim made it very clear the consequences if they didn't give it up.

• Baller

A friend on our public lake had his ski stolen from his boat while the boat was tucked up under his lift. We had someone try to steal skis from us at a resort cabin that were left out one night, too. Amazing what people will do.

As for the dudes in the Nautique...some of you know Jim as an adult freak of nature--you just have to imagine him as a hot-tempered younger version, and the looks on their faces when a well-built, 6 foot 7 inch brother Joe stood up from the driver's seat next to him...then there was me--I must have been 10 years old--real scary, right?