5.7 distributor

jimski

• Baller_
Based on the JB weld repair pictured, consider using a zip tie to hold the cap down rather than the original screw. Hoping it would put less stress on the repair that way. Or rather than have the plastic threads doing the work, what about a slightly longer & smaller diameter screw with a nut on the end?

• Baller

@Rednucleus @skihacker the first picture was the start of the epoxy repair.

After building up the tab I drilled a hole through and replaced the screw with a bolt, washer any a nylock nut.

@rodecon apparently it’s a common problem with the plastic base distributors. Time and heat breaks down the plastic.

Dorman makes a repair plate that I have ordered part # 90449.

If this doesn’t work I’ll be forking out the 1000 $ CAD for a new PCM distributor.

Any one know if a MDS aluminum body distributor will work in these PCM engines.

v6jb4t20qt7b.jpeg

2pvegzuvbo2r.jpeg

• Baller

NAPA Pt# NOE 6551259. It’s the “Vortec distributor repair plate” $30.49

chdknnqdplic.png

gkm7i5gou9db.png

I’m having a hell of a time keeping my distributor from corroding on the contacts and running like total crap. Anyone else have that issue on the Excalibur engine and have found a way to fix it?

• Baller

The trick is to stop buying automotive caps and get the ones with the brass contacts. Either Accel or there are some other brands - skidim sells some. The cap that came on my 2012 was a standard GM automotive cap (aluminum, not brass) that corroded like crazy. This problem is worse in V drives like mine where the distributor sits right under the pylon and has a steady drip of water hitting it.

The Accel numbers for the HVS caps and rotors are

120141 - Cap (Replaces AC Delco D329A)

130141 - Rotor (Replaces AC Delco D465)

• Baller

+1 on the Marine grade cap/rotor. Brass is the only way to go. My 07 196 has the 330 excalibur. Just over 500hrs. Went through three rotors and two caps in the last two years. We average about 50hrs a summer and I always make sure my bildge is clean/dry. Also leave the dog house up after use to air it out while wiping it down. Aluminium automotive caps and rotors don't last. Bought an OEM marine brass cap/rotor from discount inboard marine this July along with full tune up kit (plugs and wires). Boat ran like a top for the of the summer which was almost 60hrs. I've lived through the pain of that stupid cap. See below.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/23744/pcm-330-help

@jimski

Id check the MSD distributor first, especially the diameter of the base to make sure its not too wide. MSD sometimes doesnt make distributors to be drop in factory replacements and wont fit with accessories/manifold or etc. bolted nearby.

Also, like alternators and starters some distributors are NOT meant for use under a marine engine cover. Just an FYI for a commonly overlooked safety item.

• Baller

Got out for a set today and ran the boat for about 45 min. Everything held together just fine.

But I tell ya it’s in the back of my mind, if and when it’s going to pop the distributor cap off.

More than likely my wife will be driving.