Off Season Training / Strength Maintenance for slalom skiers in the 7,8,9,10 age divisions

swbca

• Baller_

I have talked to a couple of top world and national senior-type trick skiers who live in the MidWest and train hard through the off season, but have had little feedback from slalom skiers.

If someone has a plan for maintaining strength and/or skills for slalom in the off season, it would be great if you could share your experience.

I am returning to competitive skiing now in Men 9 after a 35 year no-skiing gap. Skied in tournaments from age 14 to 40 and most of the best skiers around here are still competing in Men 9 and 10. I am hoping to become competitive with my peers who didn't have the big gap. If its just a fantasy, at least it will get me in shape and will be fun trying.

A pro-tour announcer said Nate Smith can do pullups until the Gym closes. I am starting over with "1"

Thanks

• Baller

Start out slow and easy. Stretch, planks, push ups, pull ups, run and or elliptical.

Again stretch, stretch and stretch.

Tie handle to post and practice dry land skiing, walking through skiing motions, hand grip and reach also do sets of leaning away drills.

• Baller_

@ 2Valve @ Oldkier

Thanks for your tips. I will lookup "Planks" and "Peg Board Setup" to see what they are.

Its great to have a reason for diet and exercise. There is No better motivation than preparing for a competitive sport you love. WEIGHT . . I always had my best competition years when I was at the light end of a 10 pound weight range. That's something else for me to work on.

Thank Again

• Baller
I have been doing the same weight program for almost 20 years in the off season basically working my way around the machine. I use enough weight to do 2 sets of ten each exercise. More of a strength maintenance program rather than strength builder. Lots of core.

• Baller_
Once my Dad got to his late 40s he really didn't lift much weight, a lot of body weight, and anyone who knows him biking. (2-300miles a week) but he was a big believer in body weight work outs at the end, and did seem to work for him, and helped him with his back. Early Career however he was basically a power lifter who skied.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
Agree with lots of core, glutes, and body weight workouts. If you're doing weight training and you can't safely, without breaking form, do 10-15reps, you're using too much weight. Foam rolling and dynamic-stretching as a warmup before training/skiing and foam rolling and static-stretching afterwards as a cool-down. Very much recommend the high-density foam roller, it can be a little uncomfortable, but the benefits greatly outweigh the discomfort. Good luck, stay stoked!

• Baller

Jenny LaBaw will put together a customized remote personal training curriculum for waterskiing based on your needs, if you are looking to train 4-5 days a week - this is the way to go IMHO.

I have been training with Jenny for the past year and she is awesome. As a former college wrestler and then coach, I always prided myself on not needing a trainer, but I am so glad I signed up for her program as I wasn’t focused on mobility or the areas I was weak that are critical for skiing.

DM me if you have questions.

www.JennyLabaw.com

• Baller
All the experts say that at 50and up resistance training is the most important thing you can do for your body. This isn’t a comment for skiing just overall health. As you age, you lose muscle and bone density leading to the frail old men you see around