Help with ski selection for an Aussie?

Riverside

• Baller

Hi,

I’m 59, don’t ski a course anymore, 5’11” 210lbs

and really enjoy free skiing. I’m currently on a 69 inch HO TX Superlite. Find the CX too hard to start on (tried a friends) and wondering if there’s something better/newer around that would suit me? I ski at 32mph and it’s sometimes a bit choppy on the Murray River here in South Australia. I intend to be a bit lighter however main thing is wanting to enjoy skiing into my 60s. Do deep starts one foot out and beach starts behind a 225 HP Evinrude and barefoot Hull ski boat. Any suggestions re Radar Union, Butterknife or something similar to HO TX Superlite? Not at the Outlaw stage yet. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to those of you in the US.

I would strongly suggest the Connelly Aspect 69”

Great ski with a little bit of width to help starts

Stepped base to reduce drag

Bevels designed off the GTR to still give the ski a bit of go out of the turn if you want to hook into it

• Baller
A 69" Radar Union is a fantastic choice for what you have described. The shape is based on the high end competition Vapor but with increased surface area which will help with your deep water starts but not compromise your ability to still rip turns and have strong wake crossings.
  • Like 2

• Baller
I have a 67” Radar Katana that I skied on at 205 pounds this summer and it comes out of the water super easily. I skied it in the course at 30 and 32 mph and it is a lot of fun to rip turns and it crosses the wake well. It is probably less aggressive than the Union but would be easier out of the water than the Union particularly at 69”. I never read about the Katana but it is a really good ski.

we are the same in height and weight...and country haha. I do not get out as much as i used to so i am not running courses anymore and i am horribly unfit for skiing too. I ski at 30-32 mph depending how adventurous i am feeling on the day. I am currerntly on a 69" HO Carbon Omni and love it but some alternatives that i have had good runs that would be worth a look are:

Connelly V

KD Krypton

2016/2017 Radar Katana 67"

They are also slightly wider and sit higher in the water and still have a good edge to them if you still want to have a push with them too. I haven't ridden the Radar Union yet but will hope to get a demo on one some time this summer if i can. Hope this helps a little

• Baller
On 1/15/2021 at 2:20 AM, Riverside said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. Not a lot of stock about at present.....

what year was your Superlite TX and what did you end up getting?