Help selecting a new Ski

YumpR

I am a 22 year old who just picked up slalom skiing this past summer. Within two days I was able to get 1.5 balls at 30mph so I see myself progressing.

I want to buy myself a new ski for this upcoming summer as I plan to ski a lot. However I don't know much about the different brands as my family has been out of skiing for around fifteen years now and are just getting back into it.

I think the Denali C75 is a very cool ski but I am open to suggestions on where to start brand wise as well as skis that you think would be beginner/intermediate friendly.

I dont want to buy to much of a ski, but also do not want to buy a ski that I will quickly grow out of skill wise.

Thanks!

• Supporting Member
I am the world's biggest fan of what Denali is doing, but I think a Denali should probably be your SECOND ski. Ramp up fast on a serious-but-intermediate slalom ski, and then jump on whatever amazing thing the Adams have invented by then!

• Baller
At your speeds, a ski like the HO Syndicate Omni or Carbon Omni will allow you to progress all the way through mid-shortline at 34 mph. Sure, you could jump right to a full blown tournament ski, but generally these types of skis will highlight deficiencies in your technique and keep you from the more rapid progression you're looking for. @Than_Bogan is dead-on by saying make your second ski a top-end model.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@YumpR I can't recommend the Connelly V enough for someone in your position. It's fast and forgiving, especially when you're learning to ski on a course but also if you spend time just skiing open water. And you can get it new for under $500, with the boots included. Connelly has always provided top-notch customer service for us. It's comparable to the Radar Senate, which I've only heard good things about as well. Good luck

• Baller

The Radar Senate, Ho Omni, and Connelly V are all skis intended for your exact level and, to be very honest, it will be very difficult for you to get good enough that they aren’t good enough. ?

My ski partner burns through mid 35 off at 34mph and has only now moved from Senates to a Vapor

• Baller
If your budget is in the $2000 range (the price of a new Denali with boots), I would consider spending roughly half of that on a new ski plus boots (one of the many suggested here) and use the rest for ski lessons. Also, I second ski-it-again, it has some excellent lightly used options worth considering.

• Baller
I say jump on a Carbon or Syndicate Omni right now and don't look back. It is such a game-changer ski in my opinion. Fast, effortless to ski, easy to get up, turns on a dime, forgiving....just a fantastic ski.