How Did Okeeheelee Park Come To Be?

skispray

• Baller

On the Marcus Brown episode of The Waterski Podcast he said he thought access to water is one of the primary ways to go the sport and that the U.S. needs about another 5 Okeeheelee Parks. I knew about Okeeheelee prior to that podcast but have looked into it a bit more since then.

A county park built for recreation that has 5 ski lakes! The website for the ski club says they have 100 members or so, and on Google Maps it looks like dozens of ski boats on the dock. It does look like an incredible site.

My question is - how did it happen? How did a county park end up with ski lakes? I’d be really interested to find out more about the history and if there is anything about this setup that could be repeated. As someone living in an area without a couple options but not a ton, the idea of more places like that sounds very nice to me.

• Baller
My long time ski friend Mark Bozicevic was heavily involved in the development of Okeeheelee in cooperation with county and city officials. Google his name and you can read how it all came about. He recently received a AWSA Hall of Fame Award of Distinction for his contributions to the sport. He's a good skier and a great guy to know.

• Baller_
@oldjeep I ski on a lake that was dug to be a storm water retention pond for adjacent commercial development. Because of that, our lake is 12 feet deep, much deeper than many purpose built ski lakes that seem to average around six feet deep.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier I have no idea how deep the lake in ft Myers is. It was apparently dug for material to make the roads that flank it. It is just long enough to hold the courses, I don't drive there - it scares me a little. You have to be careful as a driver and skier if you like to just spin and do 4 passes like I prefer.

• Baller

Okeeheelee Park is possibly one of the most important lake developments in the history of the sport. It almost completely solves the issue of access to the sport for individuals in the West Palm Beach area. Yes, you have to acquire a towboat or find someone to give you a pull, but the lakes are there and the cost to participate in the sport is comparatively minuscule.

Many have mentioned the success of Okeeheelee Park and have postulated that replicating this development across the country would be a phenomenal advancement for the sport.

Imagine an Okeeheelee Park in areas like Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, Denver, etc. A 5 lake development might be unnecessary in all of these locations. I am speaking more on the idea of county owned water ski facilities, not specifically an identical replication of Okeeheelee.

How can we as a sport or association (AWSA/USAWSWS) convince parks and recreation departments to develop water sports facilities in order to help alleviate the issue of access?

• Baller
Shortly after Okeeheelee was completed, I was working for a county that was building a park (the parks department was part of my department and I was working on the overall design) and since I was the state association president, I was asked to pursue a ski site in it (small conflict of interest, but, if you're up front about those things...). My recollection, in very approximate numbers, is that at Okeeheelee they got over a million cubic yards of good road building material from the excavation. In our case, our soils were not usable and the space simply didn't work out. There was a synergy at Okeeheelee that combined a nearby road project (maybe several, I don't recall) with the park's location where the material for those projects was available nearby. One key to it working was that the distance to haul the material was short and, therefore, cost effective. If our numbers were what they were in the '80s, we'd have more clout in potential public projects, but it's a tough sell and most public officials have no understanding of the sport and government attorneys see the liability first.

• Baller_

Millennium Park in Grand Rapids already has 5 lakes. They have held slalom events on one of the lakes (and Freddy Krueger's world record SkiFly jump), but it takes all kinds of special permits. And, I believe they have to pay whatever the usual daily pedal boat rental revenue is, since they shut the lake to that traffic. Could be a great site, but the powers that be do not seem as visionary as the Okeeheelee folks.

g0p9upjvgjdb.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@LeonL the one I am talking about is a private lake, only reason I get to ski on it is that I know someone who has a share in a boat.

The only public place I know of in Ft Myers is Eden - https://www.edenskilake.com/

Otherwise there are a couple private lakes with courses on them if you know the right people. (Harborage and Alico lake)