Chet Raley : Propelling His Way Thru Life - Ep. 8

Horton

apologize for the long post, but I must tell two stories of my experience with Coach chet:

very early on in my ski coaching journey, I had my wife go with me to florida. She joined me one morning with Chet. She does not course ski and for all intent and purpose she really doesn't want to know about the technical aspect of what we do. So she rides in the passenger seat with Chet, Wim driving. I get done and as I sit down next to her on the beach area, she says to me...." um you do know Chet is not a water ski coach?" I said.."what?" She said , "nope, he's a counselor or psychologist or teacher or something"

(She is mental health counselor BTW). Chet comes over and I tell him what she said, he LOL and says, well actually she is right.

Chet coaches LIFE and oh by the way, let's apply that to waterskiing.

Last story, He was teaching me the gate I needed to do. I was struggling or just not getting it. Next set, he comes up to me before getting in the boat and asked me if I know who Tom King is? Of course, I reply. Chet says he's coming to test some new equipment and he's gonna be floating at one ball. I need you to think about the picture you want him to take. Just think about how you want it to look. So we go out and sure enough, some person is floating near ball one. Bam! Gate and one ball dialed. So he asked me about the gate/ one sequence. I discuss it with him and he says ok, lets reinforce it here on this pass. My gate is automatic since then, oh BTW, it wasn't Tom King and the person floating next to one ball was a student he asked to go out there and hang looking like he's snapping photos.

Love you Chet.

• Baller

GREAT interview David.

I am not a Football person so I did not know who David Akers was.

I did look up David’s football career and very impressive.

So glad someone of this caliber in a another professional sport found a love for Waterskiing.

David your interview was spot on. Thanks for doing this.

Chet Story:

Started going to Chet’s in 2000. In the early years I would go down usually once a quarter for a week at a time to Chet’s place.

The best I ever skied was during those years

It was due to Chet’s coaching and motivating me to lose the weight I needed to ski.

I was 5’7’’ 220 lbs. and looked like a rubits cube. I got down to 184 lbs. and my skiing got way better.

Life took over with Job changes, getting old man injuries and various other life issues.

Now I only get to go once a year. Currently not at the weight I need but hopefully that will change.

Plan to retire in next year or two and spend winter months skiing at Chet's place.

Hopefully this will motivate me to get back to weight I need to be for skiing.

Had similar story to BUXRUS.

Around 2004 I could run 32 off but not 35 off.

Chet told me it was a mind thing and I had the skills run 35 off.

I was at 32 off. Chet stood up in the boat as he does when showing you something and blocked my view of the pylon.

He had told my wife to shorten the rope to 35 off while he had me distracted.

He then said I want to see you do all the keys we have discussed and run the best 32 off you can.

I proceeded to run what I thought was two 32 offs back to back but were really two 35 offs back to back.

I was frustrated due to I did not run what I thought was 32 off as smooth as I thought I should.

My wife was laughing at me from the boat as I skied back to the dock. I thought she was laughing due to I had not run very good 32’s.

When we got back to the dock Chet said good skiing.

I replied those 32’s seemed hard to me. Then Chet told me I had just run two 35’s. I had never run 35 off before.

I went from being frustrated to very happy when he told me that.

If you are serious about getting better (weight and skiing) and get a chance to ski with Chet and Noah, I think you will find it rewarding.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)

• Supporting Member

My favorite Kickin It so far!

I swear when @DAKERS asked Chet about one big piece of advice, I was thinking my answer would be Pursue your Passion, which is roughly what Chet said!

I aspire to coach like Chet. I think I have the passion. Still working on the skill set!