Waterskier19

Hi Gang,

I have a buddy who is willing to sell me a 2000 Mastercraft Prostar/Sportstar 190 with the 330hp - closed hull. The boat is almost brand new despite being 21 years young, with only 98 hours on it. Its hardly been skied on - used for "tubing" by the original buyer (whom I also know). I know the boat has been well cared for - stored inside during the winter months, interior and exterior are in showroom shape. My buddy bought it because he loves Mastercrafts (this is one of three he owns).

I don't know a ton about the sportstar though, so looking for overall advice and feedback on this year and model. I would be using the boat as my family boat and also as my club's tow boat. My current boat is a 98 Sanger V210 - which I love, but my slalom friends hate for obvious reasons (huge wake/V-Drive). I want a good overall ski boat to help train my up-and-coming slalom skiers and be a just good general workhorse for other types of skiing/boarding etc. I do want enough torque to be able to pull mutiple skiers too if we get back into doing some show-skiing, and I'll get a boom for it to do some learn to ski activities and possibly some barefooting.

I am getting back into Slalom myself more serious after many years of not doing it - so a more "traditional" ski boat is something that I was considering in the next year or so before this opportunity came up. I can probably get the boat for 15->17k.

Thoughts?

• Baller_

The SportStar was a no frills version of the 1995-1997 hull of the 190. Wake will be low with minimal spray, but firm.

The wake should be good at the longer line lengths for novices. Power should also be enough to pull multiple skiers (probably not a huge pyramid, though). Should be able to barefoot with it as well.

It’s a good value boat and a good slalom boat. And, in the condition you mention, you better buy it quick (before @bananaron does).

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
+1 to above, great boat for the money. Get PP Star Gazer w or w/o Z Box. We skied with our neighbors 2000 for 10 years well into 35 off. That boat is set up steering-neutral. Just do some patient rudder grinding and you can get it driving very well.