Recording Options

Rico226

Hello, looking for other options with recording ski footage. Generally only my wife & I, she is driving and I am skiing, so no 3rd person to record. Been using a Ski Doc set up with my cell phone, but getting too much vibration in the recording. Anyone have a better option with that scenario ? Thank you

• Administrators
@Rico226 I use a GoPro hero 8 on my Ski Doc orbital. the GoPro completely eats all of the vibration. the problem with using your phone is that it likely has both hardware and software trying to compensate for vibration and it is totally confused by the amount of vibration in the pylon

• Baller_
WakeEye and iPhone 6s before they messed with camera stability systems works great. What’s interesting is I can turn my data use off and it still works flawlessly with WakeEye. So essentially you could go get a cheap used 6s and not have a data plan and still use it. The 12 is intriguing. @Interjon is that using the main camera?

• Baller
I have an iPhone 7 - using the Wakeye app, the selfie camera works perfectly. The rear facing camera is unusable due to all the vibration. I think there's competing software that only affects the back camera, "vibration control" allegedly, which can't be disabled - but the boat vibration is too much for it. Just use the front facing selfie camera and you should be fine.

I’ve been using iPhone X selfie camera with Wakeye App and mount with good results. We just set it up, set speed in the app, and ski. My buddies and I can ski 10 sets and not think about the camera till we’re done. I’ll have to try my wife’s iPhone 12 when the ice thaws.

@Horton - does the Hero have a tighter lens than the original GoPros, and can you set it to start/stop recording based on speed?

• Baller

I bought this or one very similar to it:

https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-EK7000-Sports-Waterproof-Camcorder/dp/B01HGM33HG/ref=sr_1_20?crid=9266MGM5PHAJ&dchild=1&keywords=video+camera&qid=1614440075&sprefix=video%2Caps%2C509&sr=8-20

Cheap GoPro knock-off. It works well, not perfect but the image quality is pretty good. I am interested to try my iphone12, if that works, it is definitely easier. Plus less to carry around.

It appears the 12 and 12mini have the same camera (wide and ultra wide lens). The 12 pro adds a telephoto lens (52mm equivalent) and the 12 pro max adds slightly tighter telephoto and bigger lens, plus newer sensor stabilization).

@interjon - you’re using the Wakeye app?

• Supporting Member
@Horton Do you have any footage you can share that was filmed with the GoPro Hero 8 on the Ski Doc orbital? I am curious how good the stabilization is. What frame rate are you shooting at? Are you using a wide or narrow filed of view?