JR Henley

ETskier

• Baller
Water skiing has lost a fine gentleman in JR Henley. He passed away quietly Friday night and went home to our Father in Heaven. He skied 3 events, but his favorite was jumping. His passion was sharing our sport with others, teaching countless people to ski and coaching them to improve. He was instrumental in promoting tournament skiing in Mobile, AL, the Gulf Coast, the state of Alabama, and the Southern Region for over 40 years. He was a senior 3 event driver, senior saftey, Southern Region Council member, and a member of the Alabama Water Ski Hall of Fame. He built a beautiful 3 event facility called Ski Chaste near Mobile in Axis, not for privacy, but a place to share with others, a place my wife and I were privileged to call home for 18 years. JR was just a great friend who loved and put other people first is his life. Our prayers go out to Ann and the rest of his family. We will miss him dearly.

• Baller
Very sad to hear this. JR always made me feel welcomed at Axis. His passion was unquestionable, whether while pulling someone through a set or measuring one's jump rope at Masters. A huge hug to the family and all those whom he touched with his stoke for skiing.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
I’ll miss JR. My first tournament was at his lake and he made me a part of the family instantly. We all had dinner in his home after the tournament every year. I love JR and his beautiful bride Ann. They are such wonderful people. I love the story of JR wearing out his tractor digging that lake every day after work. Well done sir! I can’t help but hope my life makes half the mark yours has. Even half is a lofty goal

• Baller

Sad loss for sure. JR has done so much for the water ski community, and has been such a great friend to many in the Southern Region and beyond. For me personally, he and his Ski Chaste community welcomed me in as a non-resident member for several years when I moved back to Mobile, skiing there many nights on my way home from work. It won't be the same without JR there in his back yard, yelling out to me when I fell at 3 or 4 ball, "you're supposed to drop at the ends". And, his hospitality hosting tournaments will be missed. Condolesences and prayers to Anne and the rest of the family.

RIP JR.

• Baller_

JR Henley truly a generous man in this sport. JR Was a champion of junior divisions and one of the sports finest Gentlemen. Sr 3 event driver and National safety Director. Jr was chief safety at the US Masters for many years. In fact we could not hold Masters Slalom without him as he has the handle checker.

I will miss Jr, he was one of my Heroes.

What can you say about a guy that built a 3 event ski lake with a spoon!

Gods speed my Friend.

• Baller
JR will really be missed. He and Anne made everyone feel so welcome at tournaments. From having announcers and lunch vendors during the day to opening their home with wonderful music, fellowship, and dinner on Saturday night they made tournaments memorable. My condolences to Anne, family, and Ski Chaste friends.

• Baller

Thank you Jody for completing this thread. I encourage everyone to stop by Ski Chaste sometime, say hi to Ann, maybe even ski a tournament. Tip an Old Milwaukee Lite in Jr's memory. He wanted nothing more than to share this special place. JR, farewell for now my friend.

Terry