US Gear Handles

dan1166

• Baller

I for one and hoping that one day I can purchase another 2 to see me to the end of my skiing days. Bought one 2 years ago but should have bought more.

I am going to give the latest ML Ergo a try to see if it can bridge the gap. Looks very much like the US Gear handle I have now and just a bit cheaper.

• Baller

The USG Handle was the best I have ever used. I too wish I would have ordered a dozen when I had the chance. For the last 2 years I've been using the ML Ergo which is a close 2nd. I know of no other choice, so it is what I'll be using for the foreseeable future.

• Administrators
being a nice guy and having a good product does not guarantee good business practices. I loved the US Gear stuff but Randy wore me out (didn't pay his bills and didn't deliver product ) and gave all of you incredibly uneven customer service.

• Baller

@Horton I totally understand your position on this subject. If I ever win the lottery I will find Randy and buy his business to keep it going, pay all his bills including the one with you plus interest. Then I would fill all the orders that were shorted.

@MDB1056 The USG handles are kinda like crack. Use it once and you are hooked for life.

• Baller
@MDB1056 all of the above. They are very durable, the rubber is grippy, they were made in various diameters, there are no end caps because the ends are an extension of the handle as they turn back in to make the yoke. This is one of the most outstanding features, which really eliminates mis-grabs or mishandles at the ends. You can accidently grab the curved end of the handle and still get leverage. Plus!!!!! THEY ALL FLOAT!!!!

• Baller

@MDB1056 - @skibug nailed most of it but for me there is one more thing. I have skied with a both palms down grip since the mid 90's. There is no handle that anti-rolls like the USG but I hope the Ergo comes close. I switched because of elbow and forearm issues which all faded away and have never returned.

The few select skiers I have let try the handle have all made an offer to try buy it from me.

• Baller
@S1Pitts just something to consider is the In-tow anti-roll ARS handles. I have found them to be the closest to (actually better than) the ARS handles that Mello’s Ski Shop in San Pablo used to sell.

• Baller
@ALPJr -It was a close decision between the In Tow ARS and the Ergo. I went with the Ergo because it looks to be the closest to the USG design. I do like the fact you can get the different dia. with the In Tow brand. It will be the next to try if the Ergo does not work out.

• Baller
I'm surprised no one has reverse engineered this handle and starting making them. There is obviously an enthusiastic market for an equivalent and it doesn't appear as though the original is going to be revived any time soon.

• Baller

I know Randy strung handles because I was visiting with him on the phone as he strung my last one and I chose the colors in the spectra rope while he was working on it. He also explained to me he ground the handles in house to the various size dia which is why I have a custom size.

Not saying he did it all but the knowledge to bring these handles into being might just rest with one man? In conversations with him over many years I always got the impression USG was a one man show.

• Baller

I just put my new ML Ergo handle into service today. I can honestly say that while skiing I could not tell the difference between the two and grip material feel was spot on.

ML advertises the Ergo as 1 inch dia but actual measurements put it at 1.069 which is only 0.001 smaller than my USG handle. Crazy.eh? ML has my dollar store FM handle guard knock off. Both feature my patented Bauer waxed skate lace fastening system. 145a9of6iwtj.jpg

c4hvutmo3pv4.jpg

• Baller

My Masterline with my duct tape guard/float

mny1egt8a4di.jpg

My US Gear with MOB guard

7si51zujhkfd.jpg

I use both. Yeah, the Masterline is probably twice as heavy as the US Gear (EDIT: .8 vs 1.2 lbs). The weight isn't a factor that affects my skiing. I ski the same with both.

I have suggested this a couple times before. Masterline needs to make a float/guard. I think they could easily do this with the guard they are selling. Make that mesh a pouch that holds a piece of foam. No way I'd spend $50 bucks on that current version. Make it float! Make it a customizable accessory that matches your Eagle vest.

• Baller
@Not_The_Pug I bought the USGear as a 1.072 handle and have 2 seasons on it so only a few thou wear. With my handle guards they weight virtually the same. USGear floats but ML does not so that is the only drawback but I am happy none the less with the ML because it has the right feel.