2004 ProStar fuel leak - somewhere

swbca

• Baller_

Bought the boat in October; it was a warm day here Monday so I went to the boat storage to check it out. The boat has a fuel leak somewhere and I couldn't see anything under the engine cover. Where would you look first and how to get access.

When I put the boat in storage I added fuel and fuel conditioner, unintentionally filling to the max. 2 weeks later the fuel level had dropped below site when I opened the fuel cap. At the time I figured it was a problem with the filler connections above the fuel tank.

• Baller

+1 some gas being squeezed out the vent - most gas tanks are plastic, which contract when stored in cold temps - hence it comes out the vent as if you had overfilled it at the gas station...

Do you see or smell gas in the bilge? That’s where it would end up if you had a leak in a fuel line or the tank.

• Baller_

@jmoski Yes, I way laying under the dashboard for about an hour installing an updated Perfect Pass system and then wire tying all the old and new tangled cable bundles under there. The fuel smell was so bad up there I was starting to have weird day dreams.

The leak is also bad enough that the 40x20x16 storage garage smells like gas when I go in there.

I have some time tomorrow to dig into this problem. Having the tank full will be inconvenient assuming I have to take something apart. I will bring a bunch of my 6 gallon fuel cans to siphon out the fuel if needed.

• Baller

0jxa77dok8mi.png

vbu2cnd9epaf.png

This gasket that goes under this pump module. Lots of fuel pump died in those years of MC and peoples replaced themselves often.This gasket could leak after.Happened to a guy with an 08 Prostar on my lake.Fuel smells were really bad.

Good luck!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@swbca When you where installing your new perfect pass where you cycling the ignition on and off quite a few times? Every time you turn the key the fuel system pressurizes so I would look from the fuel lines to the fuel rails and if it is as strong as you say it is, it should be obvious.

• Baller_

@RichardDoane @Andre It was easy to access the back of my old SN and older ProStar, but this 2004 ProStar is like an iPhone to me . . can't get it apart.

It appears the hinges on motor cover have to be unbolted from the floor panel to get the motor cover out. Is that right ?

Are there fasteners for the floor panel, or is it just really swollen into place ?

The upholstered seat back does not pull up or out . .

Specifically, can someone help me get access to the rear of the boat to inspect the fuel lines ??

Thanks

w8q2mmrrpgnj.jpg

• Baller_
start with inspection. cycle the key to activate the pump so the line pressurizes, then look for drippage. it's more likely the top tank gasket than a fuel line failure. an over filled tank will seep out of that top fuel module seal.. a little fuel leak makes a lot of smell in an enclosed space.

• Baller
@swbca first take the struts off the engine cover and tip all the way back till it’s resting on the rear seat. Then you can reach under the rear floor and undo the 4 hinge bolts. Nylocj nuts I think. Best to have two people remove engine cover out of the boat. Then the rear floor will come out if you just pull it up.

• Baller

I chased the same thing a few years ago on my 2004 MC 197. And I followed the instructions @RichardDoane mentions. After detaching the struts holding up the doghouse (if still there), get a couple of friends to help lift out the doghouse and rear center floor panel as one piece. (I may have had four ss screws holding the center floor panel to the stringers; use a magnet to find them in the matted carpet.) Move to one side or take it all of the way out of the boat. Doghouse & floor panel set is awkward and fairly heavy.

If that doesn't yield information, inspect the top of the plastic fuel tank. To get at the top, open the back storage compartment wing doors. Pull up the bottom carpeted floor piece. It pulls up like an inverted 'V'. You'll need to finagle it on one end to get it out. Made of plastic, so it'll bend with some force.

• Baller_

@UWSkier @Bongo @RichardDoane @Andre @MNshortliner

Findings about the fuel leak

The strong odor occurred originally when the boat was in storage and I turned up the heat in the garage from 45 to 65 while working on the boat. I am inclined to think it was just vapor pressure leaking from around the fuel pump mounting plate when the temperature rose.

The fuel line from the pump to engine under pressure for 4 hours doesn't cause any fuel odor. (this was after the boat was aired out from the vapor noted above). The pressure held in the main fuel line held for several hours after the pump was off . . I release the valve that looks like an oversized tire fill valve and pressure was still there.

There is a slight odor around the fuel pump.

3 of 12 fuel pump mounting bolts have an significant oily residue coating on the large washer used with the bolts . . Appears to be from recurring seepage of fuel at those bolts.

The pump is dated 2018 in a 2004 boat.

The seepage and the odor make believe it just the gasket at the fuel pump.

ANY OTHER THOUGHTS ?

thanks