Southeastern Wisconsin Course Skiing

jsully

Hi all,

I'm an open water skier looking for a place to learn course skiing locally in the Milwaukee/Waukesha WI area. With the weather finally permitting some skiing, I figured I'd look around for a spot. Does anyone know of courses in this area?

• Baller
Usually in in the spring. I haven't been out there in a really long time. Mike King used to be one of the primary caretakers of that course. I don't have his contact info but if you ask around down there (try Tinus maybe) you might be able to get connected. Might also try Hans Weissgerber (owner of Edelweiss and a couple lake country restaurants (like Golden Mast)). He used to pull NSL learn-to-ski events out there a lot several years ago.

• Baller

Planning on keeping my boat on the lake this summer, have an EZ Slalom to splash with enough help.

Western Kenosha County...Lily Lake/Lily Lake Resort.

They installed a spillway on the lake last fall so high water/no wake should not be an issue.

Due to my work sked, I have only 2 -3 days notice of when I will be off.

Course will be installed during the week, weekends are too busy on the lake. Due to the rules here course must be removed daily. Really nice boat launch and the resort has great food.

Will have my pontoon boat for setting the course.

I have the PM’s for the people that are interested in skiing, would prefer not to use my boat as a “club boat” (BYOB) but if only a couple of skiers come out we can work something out.

This would be for FUN/beginner course skiers welcome (I suck at course skiing) if you’re hard core this probably isn’t for you, and there are other courses available in the area for you. I ski for fun and the personal satisfaction, the only way to improve at course skiing is to course ski...you have to be in a course to get better...

• Baller

@UWSkier is right. Neosho is what you want. It really is an old mill pond so there's LOTS of sediment. Besides for a couple of jet skiers and one other boat there was nothing on the pond the last time I was there 6-7 years ago so you'll have the place to yourselves most days. Surprisingly good launch for a mill pond right at the park on the south side w/ a good dock. Don't wander anywhere outside the course. It's very shallow in a number of spots. Last I heard an old MC promo guy (Chad?) lived on the pond and took over the course. I'm assuming he's still out there.

The course has been in a few different places over the years and running in a couple of different directions. Get great water regardless of how it's set up. Launch is where the arrow points to in this picture.

2ffyh63z9i4y.png

• Baller

you might be able to drive out and see if the course is in if you walk up the hill byt the cemetary just to the right of the launch arrow.

If Chad lives out there, I can connect you. Good ski buddy of mine bought his '08 197.

• Baller

It might be worth your time and money to travel down to Liquid Edge, just down in IL. Doug is set up to teach almost every level of skier through the course.

Certainly wish there were more options open in the state for courses.

@UWSkier I checked it out yesterday afternoon and as of right now no course is in yet. However no dock was in at the launch either so it might just be too early to tell at this point.

@Dysco you're right it would be nice to have some more ski courses in the area with the amount of lakes up here

• Baller
I used to ski tournaments (and barefoot 8s) at Neosho Millpond. I've not seen nor heard of a course there in years. A group on Tichigan put in a course on a really remote area of the lake, but that ONE guy had to complain, so no more course. Options these days are quite limited. I bought OffCourse and it serves as great alternative!

• Baller
@r_maniak - I grew up on Lauderdale, helped build the only slalom course even installed there in the early 70's. I'm sure I could find the original anchors today. My sister and brother in law still live there. Used to be a BIG ski club presence there back in the day. I love Lauderdale.

@braindamage I’ll wave you down if I ever see you out there. Depending on the day I’m on my friends 99 response or my 93 American Skier. I’m out there teaching kids how to ski at the summer camp on the northwest end during the day.