Boat Sales Spike

BlueSki

• Baller

Intuitively, everyone here knows this, but for the wonks it is interesting to see how substantial the spike in boat sales was over the past year. The increase as a percentage of consumption over the past year was equal to the gain over the previous 8 years, but still not to prior peaks.

vid7o39kk2cz.png

• Baller_
Some of the dealer talk around here is that there definitely is a shortage of new inventory (also not news to us) and some are already out of boats. Our club was lucky to get one. Also heard a story of a dealer here that had a customer from Indiana show up last year in the panic days of early summer pandemic buying and put $100K in cash on the counter to buy one.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

I think it has a LOT to do with Covid. Instead of vacations (involving airplanes, hotels and restaurants) people are investing in things they can do with their families (read: without masks). So outdoor activities like boating is an easy thing to pick up. If you look at the sales of Lowes and HD, as well as small contractors, you'll see a big uptick in home remodeling projects too.

• Baller

Sky high stock market, low interest rates, and extra demand due to Covid. I looked at a new SN over the winter and the dealer was advertising monthly payments of $735! - Read the fine print: 5.35% interest for 15 years!

That boat is now sold and the dealer says only way to get one is to order a 2022!

Notice on graph, really cool to see BTW, the drops are market recessions/crashes, the only question is when does the next correction/recession hit, then we will see the reverse...

• Baller

Huh interesting. On the flip side. I bet in 3-5 years the folks that are first time buyers of boats, camper trailers, atvs, motorcycles, lake homes/cabins, and any and other — i wonder what the % of them be selling these items in 3-5 years and probably a second wave in few years after that.....

A % of those folks go back to their regular vacations, etc...... so will see a lot of these new toys they are buying up for sale...

• Baller
@moski I think that you are right, there is likely to be a normalization of many supply/demand imbalances as the economy reopens and supply chains clear, and eventually the next cyclical recession creates a buyers’ market, whenever that may be. There is a good chance that many sellers at that time are disproportionately represented by 2020/2021 buyers... that is unless they find some buoys and get hooked like the rest of us.

• Baller
The market won't stay this way forever, but it is not going south this summer, that's for sure. If you order a new Whaler now you might get it 18 months from now. There are many brands in the same boat so to speak across a lot of different product lines.