Upgrade/update from a 2009 Prophecy

chaloux

• Baller

Hey everyone, I'm new here and happy to be a part of the community. I've lived on the water for 3 years this year, and I was able to finally afford my own ski boat - I just picked up a 94 Sport Nautique. Not perfect for slalom but with my kids it's kind of a "do everything OK" boat. And it has perfect pass, which is new for me so I'm pretty stoked to be able to use that. Previously I've been heading to my parents' place which is about a 45 minute drive to ski with my old man behind his 92 Supra Comp TS6m (which is a beautiful boat, even if the wake isn't up to current Prostar quality).

I'm currently skiing a 2009 Prophecy 67" with double Enzos - I'm 6'3" and weigh between 170-180lb. I ski at 36mph, at around 22 off which is basically just the nicest spot in the wake behind the Supra. I won't be skiing the course (or at least not much) and I really like the Prophecy. Haven't skied behind the Nautique yet. Unfortunately, when the ski was purchased, I split it with my dad and so he'll be keeping that ski. We didn't really mess with the fin settings much as we both felt comfortable on the ski and he's a bit heavier than I am, so it was a bit of a compromise. I'm sure the ski is better than I am :D

With that in mind, now that I can pick up a ski for just myself, are there any recommendations from y'all? I've been skiing now for nearly 15 years and ski pretty aggressively, but I'm not competing or anything. I just prefer to have a ski that doesn't hold me back, I do that job well enough for myself haha. I'm not really too concerned about budget, but would also be happy to pick up a used ski.

Thanks in advance! And it looks like I'll have a bit of catching up to do in terms of setup and technique. I researched quite a bit when we purchased the Prophecy and seems things have changed just a weeeee bit since then.

• Baller
To start with, even at 36, that ski is likely too small for you at that line length. I'd be wanting a 67. You're already familiar to the original prophecy, the newer connellys just improved on that. I still rank the 2013 and 2014 Prophecy as one of the best skis ever offered to the public.

• Baller

Thanks @ForrestGump! My old man just sent me a photo, the Prophecy is actually a 67 (still has the sticker on it). Updated the original post.

I have read a lot about the '13 and '14 Prophecy and seems like a lot of people liked them a lot. I do like what I'm reading about the Denali skis, I just wish they left their old information page up so I had info for looking for a used C75. Right now their site just shows the C85 splash page and so I have no idea how to go about sizing or which flex profile of the C75 I'd like.

I'm sure that any top or top 2 model from any brand would be fine. I just wish I could ski something now to see how it feels so I can order before the season really kicks off. I put the boat in yesterday but the water is numbingly cold still.

• Baller
Radar Vapor is widely regarded as a great high end ski for the common man at 36mph. If you're looking at the used market, the 2016 Vapor Lithium is the most popular slalom ski in history for a reason. Very few who had one didn't enjoy it. I wish I still had mine actually.

• Baller
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback! I'm currently in talks with Meg from Denali on one of the blemish models. I think I'll be pairing it with some carbitex vapors which I can get locally and try on for sizing. I'm not sold on going hard shell just yet and I am pretty happy with the stiffness and durability of the Connelly Enzos, so I'm hoping the vapors are similar but a step up/updated.

• Baller

I don't think you could go wrong updating to a 2013-14 Prophecy, although there aren't any on SIA at this time. I have been on a 2014 Prophecy since late 2013 and really like it. (obviously) I am a proponent of the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school so I haven't upgraded. I don't think the ski is holding me back from getting more buoys, just my poor technique. Although I did complete the survey in hopes of winning a new DV8!

• Baller
Well everyone, I purchased a blemish medium, standard flex Denali C75. There was a problem with the one I selected so they are hooking me up in a different way... I'll have to update when I get the ski. Needless to say I'm very stoked to try this ski. I hope I don't fall into the small category of skiers that can't get it to work for them. I'm pretty sure I'll be just fine. Thanks for all your feedback!