Wet suits for slalom - another product question

swbca

• Baller_

Just bought a Stokes Super Flex PRO Wet suit - long sleeves, short legs. The size chart said I should get a Large. I got an XL.

It has a rear zipper. Their is no way to zip it up without another person. I temporarily added a piece of rope to the Pull Cord on the zipper and no amount of pull force will zip the last 6 inches at the top. It binds up and then zips back down part way when I stop pulling.

Is this the norm from rear zipper wet suits ? I need a wet suit that I can use without a personal attendant.

What should I get ? The ice has been out for a week and the boat is going in Sunday.

2ayz15qpgonc.jpg

• Baller

I have a Camaro suit and I can zip it up solo but I really need a second person. Thankfully waterskiing is a sport that you need at least a second for a driver so the inconvenience is small.

My take on it is these newer suits are required to stretch so much that it's a small sacrifice to pay to have a better fitting suit than the thick old 90s Era oneills.

• Baller
I worked for years doing solo diving with a drysuit that had a cross the back zipper (impossible to reach, and drysuit zippers are notoriously stiff). Fix a peg to a wall that you can hook the zipper pull onto, then use that to zip it the last six inches by holding the bottom of the zipper, then squatting down on the wall to pull the zipper up. Not elegant, but if it worked for drysuits, can't see why it wouldn't work for a wetsuit.

• Baller
I use a dog leash with a snap hook to accomplish the same as @gschoor only I loop the leash to a handy post. I turn to pull away from the post to zip and rotate 180 degree to pull and open the zipper. Needed to learn this as I once almost cooked myself when no-one else was around on a very warm day!

• Baller
Try grabbing your wet suit below the zipper (right above your butt) with your other hand when pull up on the zipper cord. It helps keep the 2 sides closer to each other when zipping.

@DaveD is spot on. Camaro suits actually have a tab at the bottom of the zipper. If I pull the tab down while simultaneously pulling the chord to zip the zipper up towards the neck of the suit I am able to suit up on my own.

• Baller_
@DaveD @gschorr Got it zipped. I pulled the upper arms & shoulder material higher toward the neck than its normal position. This loosened the suit around the zipper at the top. Then grabbed the suit with the other hand below the bottom of zipper. Thanks for the help.

• Baller

The Camaro suits have a lining behind the zipper that often gets caught in the zipper. Reverse the zipper a bit and pull the lining upward at the neck and the zipper will close freely.

And please be careful doing solo projects in cold water.

• Baller_
@swbca - I recommend a second work suit, one that fits a bit looser and you won't cry when it gets marred, ripped etc. A cheap one from a marine box store or even when Sam's / Costco have them can serve that function.

• Baller_

I once the suit is on and the leash up over your shoulder ready to pull, bend over 90* and round your back. Then pull the leash.

Camero makes a sleeveless short leg farmer John. No zipper and it’s pretty warm around your core.

Lpskier

• Baller

Just a few thoughts: on using it as a “work wetsuit”, I never owned the stokes model you have, but have had multiple camaro’s - and if they are as fragile as the camaro, I wouldn’t use it for installing docks, lifts etc given how easy it will be to snag it on the end of a bolt or a corner and tear it.

I use worn out 4/3 traditional wet suit for “work” as they handle the abuse better and if it tears it not the end of the world. I get about 4-5 seasons of use out of a high end 4/3 suit, after that the taped/sealed seams go and then I retire it to work mode and get a new one for skiing.

Proper fitting suits can be a workout/tricky to get in and out of, of interest with the chest zip - which is my preference and what I have now, they are easier to get on but harder to get off. I often have to have a buddy hold one shoulder from the top to peel the initial arm out.

• Baller

I can zip my stokes, and my camaro before it with the techniques described above with a little work. It's easier to have s'one else do it so most often I do. The suits are so form fitting that's the deal and why they are great.

I've had other neo suits that I zip easily--but they are nothing like the stokes/camaro for fit/mobility/warmth etc. I put up with the zip to have a great suit.

• Baller
@Zman right on, the best tip I have heard for chest zip entry is to keep your arms and hands close to your body- hand into sleeve going straight toward ground....people tend to flail by trying to get arms in by reaching out to the side or upwards and that just makes it harder and makes ripped seams more likely.