Masters webcast

Woodybc62

I think the biggest problem is they are using the same announcers for the webcast and on-site. So you get a “all sponsor commercial” between every skier. You get reminded to “head to commercial row, and check out xxxx booth”. You’re told to “go get your swag”. The biggest pet peeve is when the announcers say something about what’s posted on the scoreboard when we can’t see it on the webcast. Even small comments like “let’s give a big shoutout when they go by” falls flat when the mics don’t pick up any crowd noise.

Dan-O’s enthusiasm is best savored live onsite (just like a show ski announcer) and less so on the webcast.

When we did the Nationals webcast last year, part of the deal was separate announcers from whoever is onsite.

Unfortunately when you try to announce onsite and webcast, you compromise both.

• Baller
Agree with @klindy from here on Robin Lake beach the announcing is fine and I appreciate all the commentators insights. The fact that they are broadcasting and sending a live feed to the local audience LED screens is unique and I understand the complexity. I also have no issue with the quality of the "broadcast" the camera work is good, graphics nice and audio quality is excellent. The Webcast means of delivery could definitely be improved and I hope they embrace YouTube or another service next year. Sorry don't miss Wade. Dano is the Chris Berman of waterskiing and I like has been said you can turn it down. Thanks to the entire production team, Nautique and Rhoni Barton Bischoff.

Nope. It looked like he got a bit twisted off the top of the ramp toward the boat. Not much but enough that on the way down the right ski somehow got over the rope. So when he approached the water the rope lifted the right ski and twisted him toward the boat quite a bit. So he landed with his legs slayed outward and he appeared his left shoulder was kind of leading the way forward.

Really odd tho because it looked pretty normal all the way thru the apex of the jump. I really wish they showed the replay. I hope he’s ok. That was odd enough that no telling what can get torn up.

• Baller

@Broussard I agree the infomercial while the Greatest of All Time was jumping was absurd and disrespectful to Freddy honestly.

@Horton it looked like his right ski tip got hung on the rope coming down from the Apex of his jump. He was rotating towards the boat. They never replayed it and I've never seen it happen in real life. Have you?

• Baller
I think you should be able to watch a reply on Vimeo. At least I was able to watch some of the juniors from Friday last night. At the moment, I can’t watch anything from Saturday or Sunday but I assume it will eventually be there like the juniors. Search for “Masters water ski” or find the page for “We Media Project”.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

This was the first Masters that I watched. Great tournament overall, but I'm just wondering, is this how it usually goes score-wise? It was a lot of amazing skiing, but the scores seemed super low compared to what I have seen in other broadcasted tournaments (I was shocked that the winning jump was under 230, and in Men's Slalom none of the finalists ran 41). Were the conditions suspect or something?

I'm sorry if that's an ignorant question, or offensive to the amazing skiers who competed.

• Baller
@jgills88 Robin lake is not a purpose built man made water ski lake. As such, it has nuances that are part of the overall mystique of the Masters. Years ago before man-made lakes were common, it wasn't unusual for world records to be set there, but times have changed. The men's course record is 4@41off and Regina has only run 39 off once or twice. During the jump prelims, the skiers were bouncing quite noticeably in their counter cut and glide. Makes for some challenging conditions by today's standards.

• Baller
@Horton , on Pipe’s crash, the rope somewhat got entangled on the right ski when leaving the ramp, and unfortunately he did not manage to get it out… Words from Pipe himself.

• Baller

@jgills88 Robin Lake is not a purpose built (by modern standards) tournament lake thus conditions are not often optimal for high scores. There are walls and pavilions causing backwash and the slalom course is set on a wide part of the lake which means there are often rollers and unsettled water conditions. The large lake also means less shelter from the wind. The scores were about where I’d expect them to be at Callaway but in some events were best ever (junior slalom & tricks new course records) and men’s slalom Fred almost beat it.

Interesting that in the men’s jump final they all stopped at the top for 2 minutes to let the water settle. Never noticed that before? Wonder if that is legal/world record capable rules?

• Baller
It would have been preferable for the 99% of us from this forum listening to the Webcast, to have Wade Cox explain technically why each skier is so great, where maybe they might have to change their approach on this lake, and what specifically to look for on the next pass. But, that’s us die hards that love that info. Tyler and Dano are talented but bring a totally different approach that is definitely much more general and commercial. They have their reasons why and would probably need a good reason to change their format. I’m no genius but it probably has something to do with money.

• Baller
@jgills88 I think the course jump record at the Masters is 237 feet by Freddy Krueger but as others have said, the conditions are different every year. This year in the prelims the jumpers dealt with a gusty wind and busy water. In the finals it looked too still with too little headwind to get super huge jumps. But that 222' looked sweet! One last comment, the jump event can be staged going in one direction or the other. I think historically the biggest jumps have come with a prevailing headwind and ramp set up in the other direction.

• Supporting Member

On the one hand, it's an incredible privilege to be grumpy about the announcers and other aspects of a broadcast of a major waterksi tournament!

On the other hand, that was painful. Mute required, which sucks because I want to hear the actual information about what is happening.

And the inability to rewind is also very annoying. I would have ended up watching MUCH more of it if it hadn't been so hard-core about live only. As it was, I only caught a few silent passes here and there.

• Baller

https://www.planetnautique.com/CorrectCraftManuals/SOTW(Long).mp3

Just for fun, Tamara Comstock's "Stars on the Water" is a song written for the Masters Waterski & Wakeboard Tournament at Callaway.

It is played during the Parade of Champions where past and present winners zoom around in the Nautiques with their countries flags before the final, super cool!

The announcing onsite was fantastic and highlighted the athletes, hard-working vendors and sponsors. Not sure how the enthusiasm translated to the webcast, but they are great announcers and any other tone wouldn’t match the energy of the event. It was perfect for the packed beaches of Robin Lake, many visitors who had never seen waterskiing in person. Unfortunately the vibe probably doesn’t translate to the screen but it drew the diverse crowd to the action on the water and to the vendors & sponsors.