First look at the new BallOfSpray ProStar

Horton

• Baller
White is the way to go on the deck and on the running surface. Easier to take care of when it comes to blemishes from everyday use, and keeping it clean. I would like to have the ability to pick a different color for the transom area. The transom area can oxidize fast. Mine would have red and blue striping on the sides. The color scheme John picked makes sense. There is a lot more sun where he is located verses Ohio or Pennsylvania.

• Administrators
I added the tower because it's fun. It is good for tricks and screwing around without impacting slalom performance. If it is good enough for @FWinter it is good enough for me.

• Baller
I would get a tower for sure. Great for footing, great for teaching, great for keeping the rope up out of the way pulling anyone other than a tourney skier, great for pulling a tube. Adds a ton of versatility.

• Administrators
@MNshortliner I have a 7-year-old daughter. She skis & I just got her a tube for her birthday. We have to make this fun or the sport will only consist of grumpy old white men.

• Baller

@Horton what does the tower rest on when down? I’m wondering about the engine box redesign. I liked the tower on mine but learned the hard way that it must be secured in place well if you transport it in the down position. It can slide forward and rip the vinyl on the engine box of the 2014-2020. Even when still connected to the latches.

Outside of that, it is FANTASTIC for coaching beginners. It pulls them UP out of the water instead of through the water, and you can sit and coach from the engine box all day long.

Definitely the best boat on the market right now. Best looking too.

• Baller
I'm with @slow The tower could have some benefit, as mentioned above....and additional storage for a day on the lake with friends/family would be handy. I would almost consider one for our boat BUT, that prostar looks soooo good without it.

• Baller
@Broussard depends on the size of the tube and the load. Bigger tube, bigger load, multiple tubes hook it to the pylon. My outboard centurion pulled an annual party for my son and his friends. There would be 10-14 kids on two tubes jumping back and forth at low speeds and with gentle turns. They all had a ball but the drag is real--that boat had an enormous hole shot and it took all she had. Good thing we reinforced the pylon mount!

• Baller

Wow, Horton bought a tube. Good for him - he's a nicer guy than I am I suppose.

I have 3 kids and I encourage them to do all sports they could ever imagine behind a boat. Kneeboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, barefoot, trick, whatever, anything you have fun on.

EXCEPT a tube.

I absolutely WILL NOT pull a tube behind my boat.

I even encourage my kids to go tubing behind Grandpa's sea doo, or other Grandpa's boat, or Uncles Sea Doo or Neighbors boat or whatever.

Just not my boat. No way. No how.

• Baller

@6balls You are correct: the size of the tube, shape of the tube, design of the tube, and number of people being towed (and their weight) are all variables that affect the amount of drag.

That being said, tubes create a lot of drag which results in a lot of force on the tow point which in the case of a tower means a lot of stress on the fiberglass and tower mounts.

Many manufacturers warn against pulling tubes from towers. Will your boat combust in flames if you pull a tube from your tower? No. Is it good for your fiberglass? No.

• Baller

@Broussard it's not a 90's boat with an aftermarket bolt on tower, the mounting points are built into the deck/hull these days so "strong as ox" as the saying goes.

Still wouldn't tow a tube on one as the moment lever could quite easily over rotate the boat sideways if it became a sea-anchor on a hard turn. Towing a 7 yr old kid on one, not a problem on a private lake, bit different on a public one and/or adult getting whipped around and through rollers etc.

I for one am slightly jealous, nice classic colour scheme and MCUK can't get hold of one until late 2022 at the latest by the looks of it - no new prostar stock in the country for a couple of years :(

• Baller

The Prostar looks great without the tower. The Prostar looks great with the tower. Mastercraft really did a great job designing this thing... and kept it pretty simple. I'm not sure why one would need to pull a tube from the tower. Pulling from that grab bar in the back (really sturdy) with one of those egg shaped floats midway back on the tow rope works great. Kids love tubes... a good gateway drug for the rest of towed watersports. Whatever gets them and their friends interested in getting on the water.

Great looking Prostar.... and tower!

• Baller
Great looking boat! @Horton, how about some more pics? I’m definitely on the fence about a tower on my build but with kids who occasionally wakeboard it seems like it would be nice to have with little downside except it’s a pricey option!

• Administrators
@Bdecker More pictures? I actually spent hours yesterday taking pictures of Kandi ( aka the BallOfSpray ProStar). Photos will start to leak out next week

• Baller

@blagrata Just like wakeboarding, wakeskating, all that stuff, tubing also, is more fun from a higher tow point. So, no, you don't NEED to pull a tube from a tower, but everybody involved has more fun if you do.

Additionally, it makes your back seats useable while tubing as well.

• Administrators
@skimtb One of these days I'm going to post a picture of every Pro Star I've ever had. I got to say I really like some of the gray and black metal flakes also