Trivia > where is your old boat now ? How's it looking ?

swbca

• Baller_

I was driving down a highway last weekend and saw a 1986 RainBow ProStar with a FOR SALE sign parked on the frontage road. I wondered if it was our old boat so I stopped and looked it over. The Trailer and most everything under the hood was rusty, The upholstery was brittle, ripped and stained. The Rainbow plastic film was brittle and cracked. It wasn't ours because we had a button drilled into the dashboard to raise and lower our slalom course.

Are you curious about the fate of one of your very old favorite ski boats ? Or have you seen it several years later ?

Our '86 on 4th of July, 1990

20507267_10213402154198535_3476324635766

• Baller

I owned a 1994 ProStar 205 from 2001 to 2018. I added many things to it over the years to make it mine, including an ugly MT. (budget constraints at the time). I sold it to a decent kid up in Illinois and I feel it's being taken care of, but I did get one picture of it when he posted online, and I was quite displeased with the cleanliness of the hull. Not sure how it looks today...abeeuitw71na.jpg

do6v90ekzizf.jpg

• Baller
I would be willing to bet that my previous boat is rotting in a garage somewhere. I saw it once a week after I sold it and the entire interior was full of snack crumbs, the pure white seats had been stepped on with shoes and covered in little cheeto colored hand prints.

• Baller
I have only owned one other boat. The owner seems to be taking great care of her. Every other year or so he may text me a picture when he puts her away for the season. She still looks like new for a 25 year old boat and his kids are always smiling on the water. He will get the first phone call if I ever decide to sell my current boat.

• Baller
I've owned 2 previous ski boats, both were traded away out of state, it's silly but for some reason I'm really curious about the Malibu Tantrum, it was cool, (it was downright freezing in cold weather). It was the only "real" ski boat we could afford way back then but we got a ton of use out of it,

• Baller_

I've tossed out this story before.

Father bought (new) a 1963 Glaston later re-powered with an 1983 90hp Jonson. It lived all it's life in a boat house that was basically a garage at waters edge other then when in use in MN. ALL of us kids and our friends learned to ski behind that boat. Folks became snow birds (part time MN part time FL) and decided to switch to a pontoon in MN and bring the Glastron to FL where they lived on intercostal waterfront in a retirement community in Ft Myers.

Fast forward several yrs and they decided to go the pontoon rout down there. Sold the the Gastron to a neighbor. Fast forward a few yrs and they decided to move up to Winter Haven on a lake in another retirement community. Fast forward 6 yrs and my dad gets a call from Ft Myers community to come get his boat out of their storage yard or they will junk it and charge him. Turns out the neighbor died shortly after they left, never titled it and it sat uncovered in FL weather for 6yrs.

My dad..who can't sit still..contacted the family of the deceased and they wanted nothing to do with the boat. So he and a buddy drove the 6+ hour round trip to retrieve it. He decided to restore it. But it was in BAD shape to say the least. He spent two snow bird winters in FL tackling the project.

It was shown at an antique boat show that next year. We, to this day, still run the rivers by me and run the chain of lakes near them in FL with the same motor. To watch him well up with pride at each launching of the boat while on-lookers morph into asking lots of questions is an absolute joy to watch. It will never leave our family again. For the first time in its life it received an official name proudly displayed in the back....Second Chance.

Photos

1. How bad it was after FL tortured it. (sorry for fuzzy photo

2. Best friend to this day and myself prepping.

3. Antique Boat show

4. Out in the river

smrdtfklvdcu.png

z8dp78du1kgu.jpeg

ap688v4s7egc.jpeg

9tfw2qqnsv70.jpeg

• Baller

My first Malibu Response, a 2005 closed bow, was sent back to the factory after one summer of usage because of hull/gelcoat issues. It was then refurbished and sold by Malibu again. I heard, it serves as a club boat somewhere in the US. I think @buechsr knows more about it.

2hqn7lplxw9z.jpeg

My 2006 Response lives in Texas now. It’s been used on Lake Austin and Lake Travis.

su8pp91kxocj.jpeg

We visited the guy who bought it from us a few years ago and he took us out for a ride. Was awesome to see that the boat is still in great condition and he and his wife are enjoying it a lot.

w38gygbt26k9.jpeg

Our 2010 Response was bought by someone who lived not too far from us. Never heard back from him or seen that boat again, but mutual friends told us, that he already sold it again due to not using it that much. He probably made a nice profit given the crazy boat market these days. (I sold it right before that whole covid thing went off and in retrospective I should have held on to it a little longer. Could have easily sold it for about $8k more had I only waited a few months longer.)

syod0homp3t3.jpeg

• Baller

Sold my last malibu to a new family on our lake last year. They LOADED it with ballast and turned it into a surf barge. Glad to see the kids having fun, but I can hear my baby screaming “save me” every time she plows by. ?

Saw my first malibu come up on craigs list 10+ years after the sale. She was a mess. Dirty, upholstery ripped to shreds, gelcoat badly oxidized. I shed a tear. ?

On the bright side I’ve seen my old nautique 2001 many times and it’s looking better than ever. Current owner replaced stringers and did a pretty nice restoration. ?

• Baller

I just saw my 2002 Malibu Sunsetter for sale online. The hull looked good but I think the rest of the boat had a hard life after we traded it in on my current 2009 Response LXI.

The original matching trailer was gone, some of the interior vinyl had been redone but didn’t match the original skins and the Monsoon engine was replaced with something carbureted.

At least it didn’t end up like the boat I grew up on. A 1985 Chris Craft Viking Tri-Hull. The guy that bought it hoarded boats. When one stopped running he’d just buy another one. The jets on the carbureted outboard usually needed to be cleaned each season but other wise it ran great. We were guessing the new owner couldn’t get it running the second season he had it. Then I saw it sitting in his side yard for the next 15 years wasting away.