Zappy's c85 review

RichardDoane

• Baller_
I was able to get to the lake yesterday while the boat was still pulling a few practice skiers. Took a picture of the skis, then swapped my binders. Measured fins and made a note, comparing where the fins were on my c84, the factory setting on the new ski. and where I set the new fin. I went for a quick ride, ran 22, then B2B 28's, and had to resist the urge to go deeper. I try not to ski the day before a tournament whenever possible.

• Baller_
I've been saying that the c85 operates in two modes, charging into the first wake with good speed and stability, and then a quick edge change to your front foot where it begins to turn as you lift your vision and head the other way. @Horton teases me about "not turning" and Canadian Miller told me one that I ran a 38 without turning the ski once. Good ski design is what makes a ski turn,and the c85 shape is one of those designs.

• Baller_
I was able to get another Denali skier to get off his c75 after today’s rounds and try my c84 in tomorrow’s rounds. He’s also RFF and uses Radar boots. We set his fin short/ deep at 2.500. 6.860. .880 and wing at 8. Boots at 28 7/8. It’s a Medium, he’s 5-10. 175. Can run 35 in practice, ran a 3 and a 1H today on the blue loop. Will keep you posted on scores/feedback.

Big thanks to Richard for both goading me into and getting me set up on the C84. As well Adam Cord for being supportive, helpful and insightful. I have been skiing my best ever on the C75 (2019 version), so as common it is rarely the arrow that is the problem. That said these are very fun skis to ride and I highly recommend taking any opportunity you can to give one a rip.

• Baller_
@scoke old age and wear/tear have been doing their best to lower my scores, it's been a couple seasons since I've gotten through that purple segment. On the c75 last season my bests were a couple of 97's, and the same so far on the c85. But confidence at 12m is returning on the new ski, and my goal is to knock down the 11.25 once again this summer.

• Baller_
when Eddie Roberts passed away, it made a big difference in my connection to Radar. I had been on Herb & Eddie's skis from back when Herb owned HO. I needed a change, and with Adam Cord being local here in the PNW, I once again feel like I have "factory support".