Glove recommendations

seveet

• Baller

I have developed a problem flapping the calluses off at the base of my finger where it joins the palm.

It is probably more of a technique issue and also doing a lot of rock climbing, but I am wondering if some gloves are better than others for preventing this.

I am currently using Syndicate 41 Tail gloves.

Thanks

• Baller

I always wear two layers of neoprene pads inside gloves. (HO 41 tails, or various Radar boa K) by mid-season, skiing 4-5 days a week I occasionally get a big callous tear too. Yes, even when I work to keep them shaved or sanded down.

Duct tape protection while it heals. I think I saw this first in a post by Natalie Hammerick years ago: 1/2” wide strips of D-tape first bone of finger down to wrist. Do this on 1-3 effected fingers. Wrap tape around finger securing the finger end of each “strap” tape around wrist to secure other end. Put on gloves or pads and gloves.

• Baller
I have gone the opposite route from skibrain and no longer use anything under my glove. Previously, I used Kevlar glove liners, but I found the additional material led to bunching and more callouses. I rotate between Kevlar-palmed gloves and the soft, thin Miami Nautique gloves. I tend to hold the handle just a bit differently with each and that saves some wear on my hands. Just start trying some different gloves to see what works.

• Baller_

Two things:

1. When you are buying gloves, if they fit in the store, they are too big. If your gloves are too big, you need to wear a liner. If your gloves fit properly, you probably won’t be able to fit liners in your glove.

2. You are going to get callouses and when they get big they tend to tear. Get a pumice stone and file down your calluses regularly.

Lpskier

• Baller
While Kevlar gloves may last longer, they also provide more wear n tear on the handle and don't give me the same feel as non-kevlar. If you're getting callouses that bad, you're either griping the handle wrong or the gloves don't fit correctly.

• Baller

Maintain your calluses. Don't let them get too thick or you'll rip them or get blisters underneath. File, grind or cut them off.

Move your grip from your palm to your fingers. Much less chance of ripping your hands when you hold the handle with your fingers rather than your palm.

Thin properly fitting gloves. I like the MN gloves. At $50/pair you can't go wrong.

• Baller

I rotate through several pairs of Radar kevlar gloves, a dry pair every set and use my patent pending mini-pads or maxi-pads depending on the particular glove fit. I cut them from an old SkiWarm wetsuit. I ski 5 days a week and never a flappy callus. Calluses are practically non-existent.

9halhqbpuee4.jpg

kyd53cjqpvsk.jpg

• Baller

I am aligned with @BlueSki I used Kevlar liners for years. I went from 41Tail Gloves to Stealth gloves with no liner and have minor callous issues. I use the below gloves. Ryan Dodd has a new thinner model which I have not used. I love them the straps stay on better than the 41 Tails I had.

https://www.perfski.com/brands/stealth-gloves/stealth-gloves-by-ryan-dodd.html

• Baller

Went from using the Clincher-type for years to regular gloves and will never go back. I have a lot more feel with the non-clincher gloves.

Started using the heavy Stealth gloves a bit over a year ago and they hold up better than the Clincher-types I have used as well.

• Baller

To reinforce what has been said, I never considered sanding them down till my gf suggested ( ex gymnast), it's been night and day. In the lab we have full assortment, 320 grit I find best.

Secondly, keep gloves and hands dry as long as you cAn before your sets. don't sit in boat with wet gloves on . Every instance I have gotten tear or blister was preceded by damp gloves or saturated hand before the set, the epidermis softens and tears easy.

Thirdly, a little miniscule smear of petroleum jelly across them prior to putting on gloves,. Gives the skin water repellency, keeping it resilient for much longer while in shear strain while exposed to water

• Baller
@MichaelWiebe how do you use these and not completely gas your forearms? I tried some of these out this past weekend and with the "squishy" feeling, felt like I needed to hold on with a death grip. That was Sunday and my "grip muscles" in my forearms are still not happy.