New to Winston Salem, NC and looking to Slalom Ski

jwolnek

I recently moved to the Winston Salem, NC area and I am dying to get back on the water after a 2-year long hiatus. I know nothing about the area when it comes to boating or skiing and am looking for help to see what's around.

I'm a so-so skier looking for a slalom course, good ski buddies, and a place to store/launch a boat (I plan to buy one or partner in one soon).

If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks.

• Baller
Wish I could help you out, but I am about 1.5 hours away. A little too far to make it convenient. I am on a small semi-private (HOA) lake and have a course but I have to put in/take out each time. There is a ski club down on High Rock lake with a great set up. Course is in a cove separated from the main lake by a RR right of way, so no other boats. Dont know the name, but a little research could probably turn it up. Lake Norman, over north of Charlotte has a pretty active ski community. If that interests you, I can get some info as a guy now in my neighborhood moved from there and was active with them. If you dont mind travelling a bit and are really into it, there is a show ski team on the south side of Charlotte on Lake Wylie.

I lived in Winston-Salem for 5 years, now on Lake Norman near Charlotte. Best/easiest way I know to ski without a boat are Tuesday nights with the Lake Norman Ski Club in Mooresville on Lake Norman. Probably a ~1 hour drive from Winston. The scene is very casual. At the very least, you will meet some folks that can point you in the right direction.

https://lakenormanskiclub.com/

On the more serious side of things, there are private ski sites scattered around the area, but you'd need to become a member and/or get a boat for most of them. I know there are open slots at Rocky Ford in Newton, NC, again about 1 hour from Winston.

Finally, skiing without a boat is possible with Austin Abel or at Coble Ski School (and probably others), but they are likely a ~2 hour drive from Winston.

These are in addition to Skyview mentioned above, which could be a great fit for you.

• Baller
As others mentioned Skyview is likely the best option for you. Great lake and I believe they have a club boat. Lake Norman ski club is an option, I'm a member, but it would be a drive for you. There is also Little Mountain in Maiden.

• Baller
I would love to chat on the phone. I moved to the Charlotte/Gastonia area a few years ago and can fill you in on what I have found. Send me a private message, and I can give you my phone number. I would love to figure out something... for you and me