Trick Release for low tow rope?

mnskiers

Question, is there a trick release for a rope that attaches to a pulley at the back of the boat? My boat unfortunately does not have a pylon so I wonder if there is such thing

Not my boat but a tow harness like this picture

jp7le75o5dd6.jpg

• Baller
You could use a rope release (or other) on the ski tow mounted over the outboard. Why not use that instead of the pulley system (for pulling anything)? IMO, there is not a safe option on a pulley system.

• Baller

I used a panic release for horses that would work in that application. But it takes some grinding of the release arm, some clever modifications to get a rope to release with and a spot on pin person. A loaded up rope prevents a quick release. Still, that was the standard for a couple decades and I have (thousands?) of hours behind that style release. One injury (not hospital worthy).

I won’t use one now as there are too many good options. But in your case, it might work until you get a tournament boat with a pylon. Check the tack supply store.

Eric

• Baller

The release TomH pointed out will work, but I’m leery. I used a similar style release that mounted to a pylon over 20 years ago. We quit using it after some close calls. When a tricker falls fast and hard towards the boat, the load on the line can be so great that it takes a significant tug to release the mechanism. The curve round piece gets pushed into the lower moveable arm with such force that it becomes difficult to actuate. The version I had utilized a bearing in the lower arm to help allow the upper arm to release properly. Essentially for the two pieces to roll past each other. Maybe it helped, but it wasn’t perfect. We moved on to the Masterline style that has to be kept under tension by the pin person, otherwise it self releases.

I know the OP is trying to work within his tow boat limitations but I wanted to share my experience with a similarly designed release.

• Baller
I wouldn't do it. We used to use a release like eleeski referenced (on a pylon) until my brother tore everything in his rope leg knee (except the patellar tendon) when it didn't release. Mzimmer75 does a good job of pointing out the issues with the other type, which seems like it would be a slightly better option. For what it's worth, my advice would be to not do toe tricks without a tow pylon and frankly it's worth replacing a pulley system if you're going to spend any significant time on any type of skiing.